The Next Ryan Bates.

BigAl2526

We all know his story.   Undrafted free agent out of Penn State who stuck on Buffalo's practice squad because of his athleticism and versatility until he developed, finally gaining a starting guard job later in the season last year and improving the offensive line by his presence.  Buffalo looks for players like that, young free agents with athleticism, potential and great attitude that they can develop for the future.  The reason is obvious.  You can't draft enough players to fill every role you need filled, and quality veteran free agents are too expensive to sign more than a limited number.

The Bills have signed a young undrafted free agent who may be able to follow a similar path to the one Ryan Bates has followed.  He is Derek Kerstetter, an offensive lineman out of Texas.  He played every position on the offensive line at Texas except left tackle, starting a decent number of games.  He tested well at his pro day with good strength and athleticism.  He's tall enough at 6'5" and has long enough arms for the tackle position but he's not so tall that it's hard for him to get low on the inside.  He's got deficiencies in his game that will keep him from winning a roster spot this season, but there is some potential to develop. 

Nice article in Buffalo Rumblings

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2022/7/9/23196554/90-buffalo-bills-players-in-90-days-tackle-derek-kerstetter

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

If we’re talking strictly offensive linemen, then the candidates have all already been listed in this thread.

If we’re talking UDFAs with versatility who make the 53 man roster and work their way into a starting spot over time in general, regardless of position, I pick Nick McCloud. It sounds like he has been impressing at both corner and safety — with Jordan Poyer even saying that McCloud reminded him of himself when he was younger — and after he was plucked off the practice squad last year, the Bills may not want to risk losing him again.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BigAl2526 said:

We all know his story.   Undrafted free agent out of Penn State who stuck on Buffalo's practice squad because of his athleticism and versatility until he developed, finally gaining a starting guard job later in the season last year and improving the offensive line by his presence.  Buffalo looks for players like that, young free agents with athleticism, potential and great attitude that they can develop for the future.  The reason is obvious.  You can't draft enough players to fill every role you need filled, and quality veteran free agents are too expensive to sign more than a limited number.

The Bills have signed a young undrafted free agent who may be able to follow a similar path to the one Ryan Bates has followed.  He is Derek Kerstetter, an offensive lineman out of Texas.  He played every position on the offensive line at Texas except left tackle, starting a decent number of games.  He tested well at his pro day with good strength and athleticism.  He's tall enough at 6'5" and has long enough arms for the tackle position but he's not so tall that it's hard for him to get low on the inside.  He's got deficiencies in his game that will keep him from winning a roster spot this season, but there is some potential to develop. 

Nice article in Buffalo Rumblings

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2022/7/9/23196554/90-buffalo-bills-players-in-90-days-tackle-derek-kerstetter

Its a good question Big Al, but guesses now is like throwing darts blindfolded.  All subsequent replies will be WAG’s. 

Its a good question though and I trust our coaches will develop at least one UDFA and will be somewhere eventually on our team even if it’s a ST guy.

Can Tommy Doyle step in? The 2nd line active roster depth is equally important. It’s great developing guys for beyond the current season, but I also have high expectations in Beane & Co to find guys who can step in and provide immediate impact. I see the beating both OL & DL take as the highest importance.

11 hours ago, Doc said:

I actually think that Tanner Owen could be the next Bates.

That’s who I thought this thread was gonna be about

11 hours ago, Warcodered said:

There's also this guy.

He seems like he’d be a great personality in the locker room but I’m not holding my breath

• Shocked 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.