PFT - Leslie Frazier: It’s discouraging I haven’t had another chance to be a head coach

LeGOATski

On 7/13/2022 at 4:28 AM, GunnerBill said:

In what way is it insulting?

Because retread has a connotation of a reworking in an unimaginative, uninspiring way.  It's by no means a compliment.

From the Cambridge dictionary : to do something that has been done before, without adding any new ideas: Clearly they have run out of ideas and are retreading old ground.

Edited by klos63

4 hours ago, klos63 said:

Because retread has a connotation of a reworking in an unimaginative, uninspiring way.  It's by no means a compliment.

From the Cambridge dictionary : to do something that has been done before, without adding any new ideas: Clearly they have run out of ideas and are retreading old ground.

To do something that has been done before..... that is exactly what it is. 

There is nothing offensive about the word. It is just an adjective to describe something. 

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

There is nothing offensive about the word. It is just an adjective to describe something. 

"retread" in regard to football coaches is definitely negative, 100%

8 hours ago, stuvian said:

Why does he think he's earned another shot at HC? He had one shot more than most and did a middling job with it. 

I feel like this question has been beat to death in this thread, but so many average to below-average coaches have gotten 2nd or 3rd chances in the NFL. 

And in regards to the "retread" label, applying it to a 2nd time HC kinda sucks because after his first go-around the candidate probably DOES have new ideas and has matured a bit in his profession.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

"retread" in regard to football coaches is definitely negative, 100%

It has a negative perception, sure. It is not offensive.

I have no beef with retreads. They are no more or less likely to succeed than first timers - Reid, Carroll and of course Belichick all won Superbowls with their 2nd (or in one case 3rd) team. But they are retreads. That is simply the correct adjective to describe them. 

Edited by GunnerBill

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

It has a negative perception, sure. It is not offensive.

I have no beef with retreads. They are no more or less likely to succeed than first timers - Reid, Carroll and of course Belichick all won Superbowls with their 2nd (or in one case 3rd) team. But they are retreads. That is simply the correct adjective to describe them. 

A retread is a tire that's tread has worn out but is then re-capped with a new tread,  almost always to serve the purpose of being a non-steer tire because re-treads are structurally compromised.

Leslie Frazier is a re-tread right now....in his role as a DC.

He once was a steer tire........now he's on the trailer with a bunch of other assistant tires so the vehicle doesn't wreck if one of them fails.

That would be the correct use of the analogy.

I don't think it's really accurate to call Reid, Carroll and Belichick re-treads..........when they were fired it was still obvious that they had a lot of tread left and would be guiding a team again.

So "retread" is accepted but not the correct adjective, IMO.   Lumps in people in one group who clearly belong in different groups, IMO.  

When Leslie got fired in Minnesota he appeared to be a dud and he certainly didn't have the past track record as a SB winning genius DC to get him a second chance like Belichick had.  

And it is insulting, to an extent because retreads are considered clearly inferior to the original. 

Edited by BADOLBILZ
terminology correction
  • Disagree 1

15 minutes ago, BUFFALOBART said:

There was a 'Nail' in that Tire, in the final 13 seconds in regulation, of the Chiefs game.

It's funny that this retread analogy has become so hard and fast...........the highways in summer are strewn with blown re-caps from tractor trailers.   You can't have those things on the front of your expensive equipment if you have any concern about keeping it between the lines.   It's most definitely an insult to call a national championship winner who jumps back to the NFL a year or two later a retread.:lol:   

• Like (+1) 1

It will be hard for him to be in an interview (Chiefs game?). Doesn’t matter details. He will have to do something defensively in his next playoff that overshadows his last game. LF is totally frozen out until then. (P.S. What HC GM would take that heat?)

Edited by Since1981
  • Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

you're leaving out part of the definition that says 'unimaginative and uninspiring'.  ' Lack of new ideas'.  I don't think giving a 2nd opportunity is necessarily 'unimaginative'.... , so in saying that to someone, I would say it's offensive.

2 hours ago, klos63 said:

you're leaving out part of the definition that says 'unimaginative and uninspiring'.  ' Lack of new ideas'.  I don't think giving a 2nd opportunity is necessarily 'unimaginative'.... , so in saying that to someone, I would say it's offensive.

So I reject that part of the definiton. The Oxford English dictionary gives two definitions:

verb

/riːˈtrɛd/

go back over (a path or one's steps).

"they never retread the same ground"

put a new tread on (a worn tyre).

"1.3 million tyres were retreaded"

It fits firmly into #1. It is the right adjective and nothing about it is offensive. 

• Haha (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

So I reject that part of the definiton. The Oxford English dictionary gives two definitions:

verb

/riːˈtrɛd/

go back over (a path or one's steps).

"they never retread the same ground"

put a new tread on (a worn tyre).

"1.3 million tyres were retreaded"

It fits firmly into #1. It is the right adjective and nothing about it is offensive. 

"He's a retread."

"They hired a retread."

In which of those sentences about an NFL coach is retread a verb? 

Here is the last part of the definition that you omitted:

noun

/ˈrēˌtred/

a tire that has been given a new tread.

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Apparently there's a language barrier here. Calling someone a retread is not a compliment, it is an insult.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Beerball said:

Apparently there's a language barrier here. Calling someone a retread is not a compliment, it is an insult.

I don't think it is a compliment or an insult. It is just a description. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Eyeroll 1

this is a total lack of self-awareness and really concerns me.  How on earth does prevent-D Frazier think he is going to get a HC job.  He plays a vanilla brand of D, his D ranking was overinflated by playing weak QBs, and he blew it TWICE in the biggest game of the year.  Yeah, FOs will be clamoring for you.  

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't think it is a compliment or an insult. It is just a description. 

Not in this country.

Our version of the language is a little newer and influenced differently due to our diversity..........so perhaps we haven't reached the point where we don't use nouns to describe people, places or things anymore.

It's American Football.   It's a country about 3,000 miles wide.   We burn a lot of rubber over here.   80+ mile round trip car commutes to work every day aren't at all uncommon.  Trust me,  it's a tire reference. :lol:

4 hours ago, Beerball said:

@GunnerBill generally does such a good job of assimilating to some very American discussions that you take for granted that there isn't a barrier.............but that is most certainly the case here.      Calling someone a retread is an insult.    Por ejemplo.......when you quit being a mod and stormed off for a while.........nobody that I am aware of called you a retread board member when you returned because that would have been a low blow.   I generally refer to overseers who end up in Gen Pop again as "comeback" or "breakout" posters.   

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.