PFT - Leslie Frazier: It’s discouraging I haven’t had another chance to be a head coach

LeGOATski

On 7/8/2022 at 10:19 AM, vtnatefootball11 said:

Bill Belichick and Marv Levy had losing records their first go around as head coach, did their records lie? 

Bill Beli-CHEAT would lie even when the truth is easier to say.  He needs to keep the practice going.

Liar-Liar.png

Movie to be released after he retires.

• Haha (+1) 1

On 7/8/2022 at 4:21 AM, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Our defense has been pretty good since he’s been here and he’s one of us so i don’t want to just go all in here…but why would he get hired again as a head coach? He’d be an old retread that runs a soft shell zone, zero aggression, no fire, stands there like a wax figure and was a bad head coach the first time? Now he’s the DC of a loaded team with a defensive minded head coach that is no doubt pulling the strings. Almost every good QB has all day to just get comfortable and make throws. Thankfully our cover guys are excellent. That covers up a lot. I hate his conservative play calling and often wish McDermott would just completely take over this defense.

We could definitely do worse, don’t get me wrong. It’s not as if the guy is bad or anything….but why would you hire this guy as a HC? He seems like a great guy and he’s performing pretty well in his current role. But good coordinators are sometimes just that. He got a chance and pretty much showed why it’s not worth it. 

So McDermott is pulling all the strings, but it's Frazier you blame for soft shell zone, zero agression... almost every good QB has all day to throw....conservative play calling. So what strings are McDermott pulling?

• Haha (+1) 2

On 7/8/2022 at 7:46 AM, machine gun kelly said:

KJ, always good hearing from you and yes, good points.  Frazier has been selective and declined if I remember correctly the Texans interview before Cully was hired.  He’s going to have to accept dumpster fires if he wants a chance.

On 7/8/2022 at 9:46 AM, LeGOATski said:

As noted above, he declined the opportunity to interview for the Texans......because Texans.

Actually he did interview for the Texans job:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/01/25/texans-setting-up-second-interviews-with-leslie-frazier-david-culley/

I think he would take any head coach job he could get, no matter that prospective team's current situation.

5 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

And by my recollection he has had play calling duties taken away at least twice by McDermott. 

Nice guy but not someone I would hire as HC.

There are far worse retread hires that have been made though. Mostly failed white guys like Marrone, Jauron,  Mularkey, Whisenhunt, McDaniels, Ryan, Mangini, and McCarthy that have gotten second chances.  Frazier has as good or bad of a record as this horrible list of retreads.

I wish people would stop referring to these coaches as 'retreads' , it's a very insulting term. Getting a 2nd opportunity as a job shouldn't have a negative connotation with it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

On 7/8/2022 at 9:14 AM, Gobills14094 said:

He's 21-32 as a head coach. That record doesn't lie.

Marv Levy got a second chance here after taking a fail at KC.  Marv went to Montreol and was HC there when the Bills picked him up.  And he wasn't young when that happened.  It may happen yet for Frazier!  But, its hard to give up the $3mil paycheck he gets as DC for the Bills.  Big pay cut to go the route Marv Levy did.

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, klos63 said:

So McDermott is pulling all the strings, but it's Frazier you blame for soft shell zone, zero agression... almost every good QB has all day to throw....conservative play calling. So what strings are McDermott pulling?

More basing it on what he was as the coach in Minnesota. Also the rare times you can visibly see McDermott get hands on and call the defense. And the level of pressure and intensity increase. 

17 hours ago, klos63 said:

I wish people would stop referring to these coaches as 'retreads' , it's a very insulting term. Getting a 2nd opportunity as a job shouldn't have a negative connotation with it.

Exactly, just because it didn't go well once, doesn't mean anything. So many reasons for that, including front office, roster, etc etc..... Plus he probably learned from all that.

I do see his age as a negative against him. Of course he has tons of valuable experience and has proven a lot, but a team would prefer to hit on a young guy that will be around to stabilize the franchise for years (like our like with McDermott).

Selfishly I'm glad we get to keep him, and hope he feels great personal satisfaction when the Bills finally win the Super Bowl.

Not sure if Frazier has what it takes, but while he's on McD's staff there will always be questions about who is calling the shots. If it's that important to him he needs to move on and find success at a place where 50% of the people think he's not in charge of his defense.

On 7/8/2022 at 6:21 AM, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Our defense has been pretty good since he’s been here and he’s one of us so i don’t want to just go all in here…but why would he get hired again as a head coach? He’d be an old retread that runs a soft shell zone, zero aggression, no fire, stands there like a wax figure and was a bad head coach the first time? Now he’s the DC of a loaded team with a defensive minded head coach that is no doubt pulling the strings. Almost every good QB has all day to just get comfortable and make throws. Thankfully our cover guys are excellent. That covers up a lot. I hate his conservative play calling and often wish McDermott would just completely take over this defense.

We could definitely do worse, don’t get me wrong. It’s not as if the guy is bad or anything….but why would you hire this guy as a HC? He seems like a great guy and he’s performing pretty well in his current role. But good coordinators are sometimes just that. He got a chance and pretty much showed why it’s not worth it. 

I still want to know who was calling the defensive plays in the 4th qtr of the KC playoff game. 

• Haha (+1) 1

On 7/8/2022 at 6:59 AM, Doc said:

The end of the Chiefs game did him in. 

Was it him or McDermott that called that coverage though?  Regardless, the defense couldn't cover a stationary wall with paint that game and Frazier doesn't deserve a head coaching job given that game along his failed head coaching record with the Vikings.

• Dislike 1

Ya, so puzzling. A real shocker nobody wants him after that Chiefs game.

Is he really that unaware of the optics and size of that debacle?  

That was literally the worst coaching I've ever seen in over 55 years of watching football. 

On 7/9/2022 at 10:49 AM, Ethan in Portland said:

And by my recollection he has had play calling duties taken away at least twice by McDermott. 

Nice guy but not someone I would hire as HC.

There are far worse retread hires that have been made though. Mostly failed white guys like Marrone, Jauron,  Mularkey, Whisenhunt, McDaniels, Ryan, Mangini, and McCarthy that have gotten second chances.  Frazier has as good or bad of a record as this horrible list of retreads.

There's been black head coaches that have been given more than one head coaching shot.  Just off the top of my head.....Tony Dungy, Dennis Green, Art Shell, Lovie Smith, Herm Edwards, Hue Jackson, Jim Caldwell, and Todd Bowles.  I think the main criticism out there is that they're given a shorter leash than their white contemporaries and that's difficult to argue with.

13 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

There's been black head coaches that have been given more than one head coaching shot.  Just off the top of my head.....Tony Dungy, Dennis Green, Art Shell, Lovie Smith, Herm Edwards, Hue Jackson, Jim Caldwell, and Todd Bowles.  I think the main criticism out there is that they're given a shorter leash than their white contemporaries and that's difficult to argue with.

Lovie Smith was around for 9 years in Chicago.  Had a good run.  Terrible with Tampa.

Short leash for He Jackson??  He went 1-15, followed that with a 0-16....and still was brought back for another season.

On 7/8/2022 at 5:56 AM, LeGOATski said:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/07/08/leslie-frazier-its-discouraging-i-havent-had-another-chance-to-be-a-head-coach/

He seems like a good candidate. Some people may be surprised he hasn't gotten another opportunity, but the league in general seems to covet the younger offense-minded guys

I think he is a great coach & shold most definitely be given the shot to be a HC again in the league but i think god has a plan for him & it is to first help the Bills to win their first lumbar trophy & bring it home to Buffalo then he will be given another shot at the HC ing thing ...

GO BILLS !! 

3 hours ago, T master said:

I think he is a great coach & shold most definitely be given the shot to be a HC again in the league but i think god has a plan for him & it is to first help the Bills to win their first lumbar trophy & bring it home to Buffalo then he will be given another shot at the HC ing thing ...

GO BILLS !! 

God doesn't give a ***** about Super Bowls, man

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.