PFT - Leslie Frazier: It’s discouraging I haven’t had another chance to be a head coach

LeGOATski

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/07/08/leslie-frazier-its-discouraging-i-havent-had-another-chance-to-be-a-head-coach/

“I’d be lying if I told you that I felt like it would take this long to have that opportunity come along, especially after some of the success and particularly the most recent success we’ve had in Buffalo,” Frazier said on the AP Pro Football Podcast. “So it’s discouraging in some ways, but you just have to be able to control what you can control. I’m going to do the very best I can and help us to have another good defense in 2022 and help the Buffalo Bills win as many games as we can and put us in a position to compete for the world championship.”

He seems like a good candidate. Some people may be surprised he hasn't gotten another opportunity, but the league in general seems to covet the younger offense-minded guys

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

I think that it’s tough to inspire a fan base with the hiring of a 63 year-old DC. I hate to say it like that because Frazier has earned the opportunity. Typically bad teams are looking for “who’s next.” They want the next McVay. They continue to hire, young, creative, offensive minds. The market is narrow for Leslie Frazier. He needs a situation like Jacksonville that was a total disaster and needs an adult in the room to stabilize. I suppose if the Browns blow up this year he might be an option?  I guess that Lovie Smith was an exception to this but those situations are few and far between. I just don’t see, for example, the Jets turning that group over to LF if things don’t work out here. It will be “the next young offensive mind.”

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 17

Our defense has been pretty good since he’s been here and he’s one of us so i don’t want to just go all in here…but why would he get hired again as a head coach? He’d be an old retread that runs a soft shell zone, zero aggression, no fire, stands there like a wax figure and was a bad head coach the first time? Now he’s the DC of a loaded team with a defensive minded head coach that is no doubt pulling the strings. Almost every good QB has all day to just get comfortable and make throws. Thankfully our cover guys are excellent. That covers up a lot. I hate his conservative play calling and often wish McDermott would just completely take over this defense.

We could definitely do worse, don’t get me wrong. It’s not as if the guy is bad or anything….but why would you hire this guy as a HC? He seems like a great guy and he’s performing pretty well in his current role. But good coordinators are sometimes just that. He got a chance and pretty much showed why it’s not worth it. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 5

15 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I think that it’s tough to inspire a fan base with the hiring of a 63 year-old DC. I hate to say it like that because Frazier has earned the opportunity. Typically bad teams are looking for “who’s next.” They want the next McVay. They continue to hire, young, creative, offensive minds. The market is narrow for Leslie Frazier. He needs a situation like Jacksonville that was a total disaster and needs an adult in the room to stabilize. I suppose if the Browns blow up this year he might be an option?  I guess that Lovie Smith was an exception to this but those situations are few and far between. I just don’t see, for example, the Jets turning that group over to LF if things don’t work out here. It will be “the next young offensive mind.”

KJ, always good hearing from you and yes, good points.  Frazier has been selective and declined if I remember correctly the Texans interview before Cully was hired.  He’s going to have to accept dumpster fires if he wants a chance.

He reminds me a little, but not as good of Monte Kiffin from the Bucs.  Back then, when Gruden was hired the Glaziers made him one of the highest paid DC’s as they needed him to keep the defense rolling, but at his age, no team gave him serious consideration for the HC.  I was here back then and remember him getting passed over.

Some guys are pudge on holes into certain assistant positions.  Scar neck is known for being an awesome O Line coach, but never heard of him in any serious OC interviews.

I don’t seriously think 13 seconds ruined him.  It’s his body of work.  He’s respected as a good DC, but he is most likely overshadowed by McD having an impeccable reputation before as a DC being a Jimmy Johnson descendant (the Philly one).  In addition, his first go around at MN was not exactly stellar.  Those points are more heavily weighed than a myopic 13 seconds.  Besides by that game most HC we’re hired or in 2nd or 3rd interviews.

He probably doesn’t like to get an interview simply because of the Rooney rule, but will never get serious consideration as he wants to be considered on his merits as applaud him for his previous comments.

I still think he’s a good DC, and we had the #1 defense and a top 4 defense as an aggregate since here, and that is with last year an avg D Line at best.  He has a harder schedule with KC, Rams, the NFCN, and AFCN, and TN this year.  We also made serious upgrades to the D Line and Kyler Elam over Wallace.  I’m hopeful he gets the most out of this talent and repeats the top 2 position.

• Like (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Our defense has been pretty good since he’s been here and he’s one of us so i don’t want to just go all in here…but why would he get hired again as a head coach? He’d be an old retread that runs a soft shell zone, zero aggression, no fire, stands there like a wax figure and was a bad head coach the first time? Now he’s the DC of a loaded team with a defensive minded head coach that is no doubt pulling the strings. Almost every good QB has all day to just get comfortable and make throws. Thankfully our cover guys are excellent. That covers up a lot. I hate his conservative play calling and often wish McDermott would just completely take over this defense.

We could definitely do worse, don’t get me wrong. It’s not as if the guy is bad or anything….but why would you hire this guy as a HC? He seems like a great guy and he’s performing pretty well in his current role. But good coordinators are sometimes just that. He got a chance and pretty much showed why it’s not worth it. 

Some valid points, but I don't think being a bad head coach the first time would by itself hinder him. Plenty of guys have gotten 2nd, 3rd opportunities after being bad head coaches. Like @Kirby Jackson said above, I think the right situation needs to come along. And if it does come along, it will no doubt be an uphill battle.

1 hour ago, Doc said:

The end of the Chiefs game did him in. 

I like the guy, but the D has basically folded each of the last 3 seasons in the playoffs.

That said, I'd love the 2 compensatory 3rd rounders, so all the more reason for a team to hire him after the Bills win the SB this year.

• Agree 7

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

It’s very funny how much this changed over the last decade. Feel like pre McVay and Shanny, it was a never ending slew of old,

former HC DC’s just running through jobs.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

Just now, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

I wonder if he's had the opportunity to go be a HC for a team that's a tire-fire (IE Texans) and Frazier just hasn't accepted. I wouldn't blame him either. I'd rather be DC for a great team than HC for a team that's tanking. 

As noted above, he declined the opportunity to interview for the Texans......because Texans.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I think that if he were to go to a team with a stud QB, he'd be fine.  Hiring these offensive minds is mostly to manufacture offense without an elite QB.

3 hours ago, HOUSE said:

Trumaine Edmunds is basically just a rookie so maybe next year...

Bringing in Edmunds to this thread!?!? Really!?!? Aren't there enough Edmunds threads? It's like an 8 year old picking on someone he actually likes in school.

Your man crush on him is embarrassing. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.