Jordan Palmer says Josh Allen is "the most talented player to ever play quarterback"

extrahammer

11 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Has this board ever heard of John Elway? Same size, arm strength, and athletic ability.  Played in an era where it was much harder to be a passer.

Or Brett Favre? He wasn't as fast running but obviously had the toughness and the arm strength. 

Steve Young was an amazing passer and runner though his running was not as violent as JA's. 

Montana was also sneaky mobile early on. Obviously not the arm strength of JA though.

Elway was a few inches shorter and about 20-25 lbs lighter.  Have you ever seen Elway stiff arm a defensive lineman to the ground and then truck a LB on the same play?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

15 hours ago, Logic said:

I believe Palmer is correct.

In terms of sheer physical talent — arm strength, size, power, mobility, speed, jumping ability — I can’t think of anyone that’s ever been clearly superior to Josh Allen.

Combine all of that with elite work ethic, competitiveness, and leadership ability, and you have the ingredients for a Hall of Famer.

All of this while staying humble, hungry and grounded. We all waited a long time for this one. It was worth the wait. 

• Like (+1) 2

12 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Has this board ever heard of John Elway? Same size, arm strength, and athletic ability.  Played in an era where it was much harder to be a passer.

Or Brett Favre? He wasn't as fast running but obviously had the toughness and the arm strength. 

Steve Young was an amazing passer and runner though his running was not as violent as JA's. 

Montana was also sneaky mobile early on. Obviously not the arm strength of JA though.

I've heard of them yes.  

He is not wrong.  I don't think I've ever seen a combination of arm talent, athletic ability, football IQ and the will to carry his team like Josh does.  When you watch his highlight videos you see everything, beautiful throws, lasers on a rope, pocket presence, effective check downs, ability to run, stiff arms, broken tackles of DL's, juke moves on the open field, hurdles and more.  He literally is a human highlight film.  There isn't a QB most GM's in the league would rather have other than Josh at this moment.  To read the story of how Pegula wanted Mahomes in 2017 and Whaley or whoever it was responsible for messing that up then to have landed on Josh is astonishing.  I still can't believe to this day he is our QB.

• Like (+1) 1

This is how I look at it:  

1. Is there any other QB where Josh Allen can not do all the things they are capable of doing?  
    1. Answer:  NO
  2. Is there any other QB that can do ALL the things that Josh Allen can do?  

Its really just that simple.  If you look at all of todays best QB's, and even all the greatest QB's in history...can any of them do things Josh Allen can't?  There really isn't any example of anyone that is capable of things Josh isn't capable of doing himself.  And yet, if you look at all the things Josh can do, there is no QB in history capable of doing everything he can do on the field.  And honestly, the closest is Patrick Mahomes.  But even compared to Mahomes, there are just things Allen can do with his legs and running ability that Pat can't even though Pat is also quite good with his legs himself.  

So I do really think Palmer is correct here...doesn't mean Josh is, or will be, the greatest to ever play.  It takes more than talent and physical gifts to reach those accolades.  But talent to talent comparison, I don't think Palmer is wrong.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

13 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

And none of those guys were as physically talented as Josh.  I don’t think any of them are even close.  Elway the closest…..but he’s not that close either.  

athletes are now much bigger, stronger and faster when compared to the 80s.  That’s part of this conversation.  

I’d probably go with Randall.  Size (not Josh size), speed, arm, athletic ability.  

Mahomes, Vick, Kyler and Lamar have the speed, arm (not joshs’ arm) and athletic ability, but lack the size. 

Edited by NewEra

9 minutes ago, NewEra said:

And none of those guys were as physically talented as Josh.  I don’t think any of them are even close.  Elway the closest…..but he’s not that close either.  

athletes are now much bigger, stronger and faster when compared to the 80s.  That’s part of this conversation.  

I’d probably go with Randall.  Size (not Josh size), speed, arm, athletic ability.  

Vick, Kyler and Lamar have the speed, arm (not joshs’ arm) and athletic ability, but lack the size. 

It's mindboggling that Josh has set records for fastest amount of passing TD's combined with rushing TD's yet there are still people on a Buffalo Bills board that would rather say other QB's were better etc etc .. Some people just never realize when they've won😂

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, ChrisWatson#21 said:

It's mindboggling that Josh has set records for fastest amount of passing TD's combined with rushing TD's yet there are still people on a Buffalo Bills board that would rather say other QB's were better etc etc .. Some people just never realize when they've won😂

💯 

mind boggling to say the least.

All of my non bills fans friends agree he’s easily the most physically talented they’ve ever watched. 

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

1. Is there any other QB where Josh Allen can not do all the things they are capable of doing?  

Its really just that simple.  If you look at all of todays best QB's, and even all the greatest QB's in history...can any of them do things Josh Allen can't?  There really isn't any example of anyone that is capable of things Josh isn't capable of doing himself.  And yet, if you look at all the things Josh can do, there is no QB in history capable of doing everything he can do on the field.  And honestly, the closest is Patrick Mahomes.  But even compared to Mahomes, there are just things Allen can do with his legs and running ability that Pat can't even though Pat is also quite good with his legs himself.  

So I do really think Palmer is correct here...doesn't mean Josh is, or will be, the greatest to ever play.  It takes more than talent and physical gifts to reach those accolades.  But talent to talent comparison, I don't think Palmer is wrong.  

This is the key right here.

Too many people see "most talented to ever play the QB position" and equate it with "greatest to ever play the position". But that's not what Palmer was saying. Palmer was saying Josh is the most TALENTED, the most PHYSICALLY GIFTED ever to play the position. That's not the same as "he is the best" or "he WILL be the best".

Case in point: Jeff George, Jay Cutler, and Michael Vick were all more physically gifted than Tom Brady. None of them could hold his jock strap, though.

As you say, it takes a lot more to actually reach the perch of "greatest ever" or anything close. Luckily for us Bills fans, Josh seems to have what it takes mentally and in terms of intangibles to have a reasonable shot at bridging the gap between "most talented" and "best", but it will take a lot of wins and some championships to get there. That's what sets Josh apart from the Jeff Georges and Jay Cutlers of the world, though: His mind, his work ethic, his will, his intangibles. If he ever becomes the GOAT, THOSE traits will be as much to thank as his physical gifts.

Sometimes I still can't believe that the Bills actually have a guy like Josh at QB. Amazing.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

33 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Palmer handing out his business card again...

By "most ever", Palmer must mean "that I have personally trained".

Which QBs that he hasn’t trained are more physically talented?

• Thank you (+1) 2

There are maybe 9 people that originally believed Josh had “it”. They deserve to remind us. Palmer was one of them. I liked Josh near draft because he did seem to be under coached, underdog, under played, nice kid… a calculated risk worth taking for BUF, but did not expect top 5 QB

38 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

cant be.  You agree with my stance? ;);) :) 😆 

Can go from (perceived) least accurate QB to most accurate QB in 4 seasons?

Can thread the needle and not be 😱

Can be accurate throwing on the run?

Can be accurate throwing across his body to the opposite side of the field? on the run

Can leap tall defenders in a single bound?

Buffalo Bills Win GIF by BettorEdge

Josh Allen Bills GIF by The Undroppables

• Haha (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, Logic said:

As you say, it takes a lot more to actually reach the perch of "greatest ever" or anything close. Luckily for us Bills fans, Josh seems to have what it takes mentally and in terms of intangibles to have a reasonable shot at bridging the gap between "most talented" and "best", but it will take a lot of wins and some championships to get there. That's what sets Josh apart from the Jeff Georges and Jay Cutlers of the world, though: His mind, his work ethic, his will, his intangibles. If he ever becomes the GOAT, THOSE traits will be as much to thank as his physical gifts.

It will also take longevity, so they better stop using him as their alternative to a legitimate backfield.

• Agree 2

32 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

cant be.  You agree with my stance? ;);) :) 😆 

Can go from (perceived) least accurate QB to most accurate QB in 4 seasons?

Can thread the needle and not be 😱

Can be accurate throwing on the run?

Can be accurate throwing across his body to the opposite side of the field? on the run

Can leap tall defenders in a single bound?

Buffalo Bills Win GIF by BettorEdge

Josh Allen Bills GIF by The Undroppables

Hahaha not the first time we have agreed on something

34 minutes ago, Since1981 said:

There are maybe 9 people that originally believed Josh had “it”. They deserve to remind us. Palmer was one of them. I liked Josh near draft because he did seem to be under coached, underdog, under played, nice kid… a calculated risk worth taking for BUF, but did not expect top 5 QB

I was one of them :flirt:  :P

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Steve Young in his prime also was a sensational combination of passer/run threat—but I feel like his running style was more so shifty than watch out here I come to wreck your day, which Josh can deliver as well as the athletic moves—that’s the biggest difference imho. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Steve Young in his prime also was a sensational combination of passer/run threat—but I feel like his running style was more so shifty than watch out here I come to wreck your day, which Josh can deliver as well as the athletic moves—that’s the biggest difference imho. 

Funny, very early on when people kept trying to compare Josh to Cam Newton (which some still foolishly do), I kept pushing back and saying no, thats the wrong comparison.  Maybe in the ability to run with strength, but all comparisons stopped there.  For me, since Josh's rookie year, the real comparison was always Steve Young.  

Not sure how old everyone is here, but at 45 (soon to be 46 on Monday) I got to watch Steve Youngs career as I lived in the Central Valley of CA during that time.  And he IMHO is an all time great QB and was one of the funnest QB's to watch of his time.  He was an elite QB first and foremost, who could kill your defense at a moments notice with his legs, extend plays, and throw with precision on the run.  

Everything about Josh Allens game reminds me a lot of young in terms of style...but Allen just has an even bigger arm and an even more gifted and powerful runner.  But stylistically I think they are similar players.

And truth be told, I think Josh Allen has the potential to be a lot better than even Steve Young was.  I am not gonna get ahead of myself here, but just looking at his trajectory, talent, unique abilities, and his constant improvement...Josh has the potential to reach top 5 all time discussions by the time his career is over.  Doesn't mean he will get there, its gonna take sustained success, consistency, good health, and probably more than one SB title to enter top 5 discussions.  But, its not often you can talk about a young player and see a path to where he could be top 5 all time. 

For example...I can look around the league and see younger or veteran guys who have pro-bowl or even HOF potential...but not many you can look at and say, this guy could finish top 5 all time potentially when his career is over.  Few show that type of potential...guys like Mahomes and Allen do though.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

Vick for 1.  Elway 

Vick-  If he were 6’4 240 with similar movement skills as he had as a 6 foot 215 lb qb, I would agree with you.   Josh’s size is a huge advantage.  I think the only place Vick > Josh is speed.  

Elway-  the eye test says it all in this case.  He doesn’t move or throw as well as Josh.  He’s smaller than Josh.   Josh is 100x the runner Elway was.  To date, he does everything better than Elway did, except win Super Bowls. 

44 minutes ago, The Dean said:

I think Steve Young also belongs in this conversation. But at the moment, Josh looks be that guy.

I agree.  I should have mentioned him as well.  But his arm and size put him clearly behind JA imo.  

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.