Buffalo Sabres and NHL 2022-2023

SDS

9 hours ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

How can they have Duffer without Marty!?

I think Marty doesn't want to do Amerk games. Don Stevens usually calls games solo, but he's getting older and you can tell his brain isn't as sharp, the way he gets stuck on what to say sometimes. So someone decided to pair Brian Duff with him, though the production value is pretty rough.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BillsFan4 said:

Amerks win game one 5-1!

They looked great!

Scored 14 seconds into the game. Up 4-0 after 27 minutes. Hershey tried to intimidate Rochester by being physical. Unfortunately the Amerks can skate twice as fast and shoot better.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

KO is a good dude, but damn did we overpay for his mediocre talent.

was hoping he would retire and we would not have to put up with anymore of the players from the tim murray era.

His captaincy has been important and one more year makes a ton of sense to me.

• Like (+1) 2

was hoping he would retire and we would not have to put up with anymore of the players from the tim murray era.

We did overpay for what we got on his original contract but that is a sunk cost. I don't think one more year of KO at $2.5MM is overpaying.  This team needs an adult in the room and someone who can stand up to physical play.

• Like (+1) 1

Sorry, but in today’s age, $2.5m is not an overpay for anyone. KO’s intangibles like leadership on youngest team in the league is worth that alone. 

2 hours ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

Overpaid when he and most of the team was suffering from coaching malpractice, or the last two years?  If you are referring to his last two Sabres seasons I don't think you fully recognize his contributions. He's the leader of this team.

23 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Scored 14 seconds into the game. Up 4-0 after 27 minutes. Hershey tried to intimidate Rochester by being physical. Unfortunately the Amerks can skate twice as fast and shoot better.

Defenseman Joe Cecconi, of Lewiston, NY and a former Jr. Sabre, scored that goal. Nice to see a local boy doing well.

• Like (+1) 1

That’s it for the Amerks. They were eliminated tonight.

Hershey is the more experienced team and it showed. That and goaltending were the difference IMO. Hershey doesn’t have a lot of young prospects with high NHL potential but they have a lot of good veteran AHL players and they sure gooned it up. So much clutching/grabbing/hacking and the refs just seem to let it all go come playoff time. That’s one thing I don’t like about the AHL. It happened to Rochester last year in the playoffs too.

Oh well. It was still a good season for them.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Sad 1

On 6/2/2023 at 8:56 PM, BillsFan4 said:

That’s it for the Amerks. They were eliminated tonight.

Hershey is the more experienced team and it showed. That and goaltending were the difference IMO. Hershey doesn’t have a lot of young prospects with high NHL potential but they have a lot of good veteran AHL players and they sure gooned it up. So much clutching/grabbing/hacking and the refs just seem to let it all go come playoff time. That’s one thing I don’t like about the AHL. It happened to Rochester last year in the playoffs too.

Oh well. It was still a good season for them.

Quinn and Peterka got their asses kicked all over the ice last year in the AHL playoff run.  I get the need for veterans in the AHL locker room but I am amazed that some guys carve out careers in the A.  The pay is not very attractive.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.