Buffalo Sabres and NHL 2022-2023

SDS

Honestly,  if they could play any kind of defense I’d try to get UPL to the Amerks.  He’s young (as far as goalies go), he has shown flashes of ability.  He was rookie of the month earlier this season.  Might just need some more time?

6 minutes ago, f0neguy said:

Honestly,  if they could play any kind of defense I’d try to get UPL to the Amerks.  He’s young (as far as goalies go), he has shown flashes of ability.  He was rookie of the month earlier this season.  Might just need some more time?

Can't send UPL to Rochester without passing through waivers. Someone would claim him. You either keep him on the big club or trade him. Otherwise, you lose him for nothing.

• Like (+1) 1

Casey and Dahlin are also best of friends. Not that that would effect how they run their team but they also have a very important contract extension to start hammering out with Dahlin this off-season, and keeping 26 happy is paramount.

3 hours ago, Dr. Who said:

Rumor on another site is that neither Comrie or UPL is coming back. I would like to bring in a vet like Varlamov to pair with Levi. Same source claims defensive system will be overhauled and new coaches brought in. (Fella is supposed to be related to KA.) Any semblance of system would be a welcome addition.

I hope it's true. Right now there isn't a proven goaltender on the roster, and entering the season as-is would be insanity. Could you imagine if the unthinkable happens and Levi goes down for the year in October and we're forced to try to run it back with UPL and Comrie? We'd likely be flushing (another) entire season down the drain. It would be devastating for both the team and the fanbase.

Bring in a vet backup like Valamov or Andersen on a 2-year deal to mentor/shepherd in the Levi era. A competent GM shouldn't have any issues moving a young goalie like UPL with his minimum salary.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Dr. Who said:

I think they like Mittelstadt. I'd be surprised if he is moved. I also like who he has become. I think he's a glue guy that can play anywhere from third line up. They might move Krebs, but I suspect he gets next year to see where he develops. VO is going to be moved as part of a package to upgrade D. I'd rather move on from both Z and Okposo, but I think the Sabres value them as leaders and it wouldn't surprise me if at least one of them is back.

Rumor on another site is that neither Comrie or UPL is coming back. I would like to bring in a vet like Varlamov to pair with Levi. Same source claims defensive system will be overhauled and new coaches brought in. (Fella is supposed to be related to KA.) Any semblance of system would be a welcome addition.

System I can deal with just don't say process please

• Haha (+1) 2

16 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

I don't think Mittelstadt is in the core...I expect him to be moved to another team in exchange for a valuable piece coming back.  Our problem now is we have a ton of good players, but they are all the same.  We need much more of a mix going forward, and good names on this team are going to be moved to get there.  That's my assumption, at least.

Another guy who could go is Krebs.  I fully expect Oloffson to be moved as well.

I think Zemgus and Okposo will also be gone, though I could also see signing Okposo to a 1 year deal and retaining him as captain.  I'd rather move on from, personally. (Nothing against him, but it's time to call it a career).

I'm ok with Okposo and Girgs coming back solely because our other lines offer nothing in the way of physicality. If all three lines are filling the net then theres no issue, but if you arent producing you have to be difficult to play against.

• 4 weeks later...

Athletic article out today on the NHL offseason by Michael Russo and Eric Duhatschek.

On Winnipeg -

"The most pressing matters revolve around Hellebuyck and Scheifele, who come in at Nos. 1 and 2 on our first edition of the offseason trade board.

Hellebuyck is one of the NHL’s few true No. 1, workhorse goaltenders. He won the Vezina in 2020 and is a finalist again. How much is he going to want on a long-term deal? Currently making $6.16 million, he could command $9 million-plus on the open market. Can the Jets stomach that?

If he becomes available, don’t be surprised if Buffalo and New Jersey take big swings.

One thing we’ve heard early this offseason is that the Sabres have interest in Hellebuyck, with the belief that a genuine No. 1 goaltender could be the last remaining piece in turning them into contenders. Getting one would also allow them to hold off on turning the reins over to Devon Levi until he’s proven to be NHL-ready.

The Jets would want young team-controlled assets in exchange, and the Sabres have plenty of those — from a youngish goaltender in Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen to promising talents like Peyton Krebs and even Casey Mittelstadt."

eyes.webp

Edited by QCity
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Shocked 1

16 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Finally!  Lets go Houston Flood Dogs!

Hate to see any market lose their team but I don't see the Coyotes lasting in Arizona long term. Don't they play on a college campus where the seating capacity is around 6,000. 

13 minutes ago, Gregg said:

Hate to see any market lose their team but I don't see the Coyotes lasting in Arizona long term. Don't they play on a college campus where the seating capacity is around 6,000. 

The market just voted convincingly to relocate the team.  I don't feel that bad for them.  

I can't imagine a public referendum to keep the Sabres or Bills in town coming even close.  Not unless someone leaked open air stadium renderings prior to the vote.

• Like (+1) 1

Sounds like a lot of NIMBY and manipulation in advertising and media turned a lot of people against the proposal.  Without delving too deep, it sounds like it was a lot of private money and building the complex on a to-be-cleaned up waste dump.  

These are 2 arenas in Quebec (left) and KC (right) have that the league has options to move the Coyotes. Houston is another possibility, but I don't know if they have the arena unless they share the one the Rockets use.

800px-Centre_Vid%C3%A9otron,_Qu%C3%A9becnr-T-Mobile-Center-7-8-20.png

9 minutes ago, Gregg said:

These are 2 arenas in Quebec (left) and KC (right) have that the league has options to move the Coyotes. Houston is another possibility, but I don't know if they have the arena unless they share the one the Rockets use.

800px-Centre_Vid%C3%A9otron,_Qu%C3%A9becnr-T-Mobile-Center-7-8-20.png

The Toyota Center in Houston used to host the Aeros who were tops in the IHL in attendance.  The Quebec junior team regularly draws 18,000 people but for I got to think the Houston market is more attractive for the NHL.  Houston's economy is massive.  One bad year for maple sap and Quebec will be looking for a new home.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.