Buffalo Sabres and NHL 2022-2023

SDS

1 minute ago, BillsPride12 said:

Mittelstadt has to be a core guy going forward at this point? 

Well,  he surely came on down the stretch.  Can he improve upon his scoring and tighten up his defense?  If yes,  then yes!

2 ***** pts (we lost the tie breakers) sheesh, BUT 91 pts and best season in years! young team with a lot of prospects and stable front office and coaching is so refreshing. On to 23-24!

Plus we get to see The Leafs get eliminated in the first round again which is always a good thing to cheer us up.

1 hour ago, BillsPride12 said:

I had given up on MItts then he suddenly got good, go figure. i'm still not convinced he's a keeper I guess a lot comes down to $$$

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Core team going forward?...

Thompson

Cozens

Tuch

Skinner

Mitts

Dahlin

Samuelsson

Power

Levi

Lot of other players on the team, or in the system, that I like. Big Krebs fan, for example. But anyone not listed above could be dealt if it meant getting better pieces around these guys. IMO

• Thank you (+1) 1

Was at the game last night here in Cbus. Sabres played well and have a good effort even though the game didn’t mean anything. Too bad they had those two long stretches this year of bad hockey, or else they’d have made it. Fun year though and they really should be in good position next year to make some noise. Levi’s play has been very encouraging. 

26 minutes ago, billsfanmiamioh said:

Was at the game last night here in Cbus. Sabres played well and have a good effort even though the game didn’t mean anything. Too bad they had those two long stretches this year of bad hockey, or else they’d have made it. Fun year though and they really should be in good position next year to make some noise. Levi’s play has been very encouraging. 

Seemed like there was a lot of Sabres fans in attendance from what watching it on tv.  

Well, I said at th beginning of the season that if the Sabres were at least able to stay in the playoff race till the end I would consider it a successful season and step forward in the rebuild.

the Sabres missed the playoffs by a single win. Doesn’t get much closer than that!

Just one more win and they’d have the last wildcard spot… 😩 

I think it’s undeniable that they took a step forward this season. I’m proud of the progress they’ve made and excited to see what they do next year. 

Missing the playoffs by one win leaves me thinking back on a lot of different losses this season. Any one would’ve made the difference. The one that sticks in my mind right now - that loss to the Isles with the kicked in goal. NHL officiating is such a crap shoot. As much as I complain about NFL officiating, the NHL is worse. You never know how they will choose to implement a rule on a given night. It’s aggravating. Same goes for the NHL department of player safety. I swear they just throw a dart at a board to determine suspensions.

Im not blaming NHL officiating on the Sabres missing the playoffs. But they sure didn’t do them any favors either.

what really sunk Buffalo was that 9 game stretch in March with 8 losses.

Edited by BillsFan4

1 hour ago, BillsFan4 said:

Well, I said at th beginning of the season that if the Sabres were at least able to stay in the playoff race till the end I would consider it a successful season and step forward in the rebuild.

the Sabres missed the playoffs by a single win. Doesn’t get much closer than that!

Just one more win and they’d have the last wildcard spot… 😩 

I think it’s undeniable that they took a step forward this season. I’m proud of the progress they’ve made and excited to see what they do next year. 

Missing the playoffs by one win leaves me thinking back on a lot of different losses this season. Any one would’ve made the difference. The one that sticks in my mind right now - that loss to the Isles with the kicked in goal. NHL officiating is such a crap shoot. As much as I complain about NFL officiating, the NHL is worse. You never know how they will choose to implement a rule on a given night. It’s aggravating. Same goes for the NHL department of player safety. I swear they just throw a dart at a board to determine suspensions.

Im not blaming NHL officiating on the Sabres missing the playoffs. But they sure didn’t do them any favors either.

what really sunk Buffalo was that 9 game stretch in March with 8 losses.

It was a clear redirect with his leg. 

18 hours ago, BillsPride12 said:

Either that or a very valuable piece to move for another top 4 d-man.

I’d like to think he will be with us for a while. He really found his game this season.

Edited by Beast
  • Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Core team going forward?...

Thompson

Cozens

Tuch

Skinner

Mitts

Dahlin

Samuelsson

Power

Levi

Lot of other players on the team, or in the system, that I like. Big Krebs fan, for example. But anyone not listed above could be dealt if it meant getting better pieces around these guys. IMO

I think you definitely need to add Quinn to that list and Peterka is likely to get there, imo.

• Agree 3

4 hours ago, Doc said:

It was a clear redirect with his leg. 

Correct.

“Rule 78.5:  When the puck has been directed, batted or thrown into the net by an attacking player other than with a stick. When this occurs, if it is deemed to be done deliberately, then the decision shall be no goal.”

5 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Correct.

“Rule 78.5:  When the puck has been directed, batted or thrown into the net by an attacking player other than with a stick. When this occurs, if it is deemed to be done deliberately, then the decision shall be no goal.”

Dunno, we always seem to be on the wrong end of bad calls. 

I was living in Dallas when Brett Hull stole a Stanley Cup. Getting kind of sick of it.

Edited by Dr. Who
  • Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Dr. Who said:

I think you definitely need to add Quinn to that list and Peterka is likely to get there, imo.

I dunno. That was kinda my point. I'm trying to be extra judicious in who gets assigned to the current core list.

There are a BUNCH of young, valuable, promising prospects in the the Sabres system. Many of which most fans wouldnt really want to trade. Quinn, Peterka, Jost, Krebs, etc, etc. But I think any of them could be moved if it means getting the team a key piece to advance to the next level.

Maybe they show something and move themselves to the core list next season, but they arent there yet, imo.

Just now, DrDawkinstein said:

I dunno. That was kinda my point. I'm trying to be extra judicious in who gets assigned to the current core list.

There are a BUNCH of young, valuable, promising prospects in the the Sabres system. Many of which most fans wouldnt really want to trade. Quinn, Peterka, Jost, Krebs, etc, etc. But I think any of them could be moved if it means getting the team a key piece to advance to the next level.

Maybe they show something and move themselves to the core list next season, but they arent there yet, imo.

I understand. I think you are underrating where Quinn is now and he is going to get better. I think he is already considered core by KA and the coaching staff. Peterka is not there yet. I just believe he is likely to get there. Jost is a try hard bottom six who is probably right now your 13th forward. He may or may not be back. I like Krebs. He needs to get stronger and continue to develop. I think he can be a pesky bottom six player. I don't see his ceiling as core, however. I like him as 4C that could grow into a 3C. VO is the most probable piece to be moved in a package for a top 4D. There are a lot of pretty good UFA D this year as well. Wouldn't shock me to see either the 2023 1st or 2024 1st included in a trade to get immediate help.

It's a crucial offseason -- and the sheer number of promising forwards in the system means they will have to evaluate quicker. Otherwise, teams will lowball KA in trades knowing he can't find a spot for everyone. My guess is they keep Girgs and Okposo retires, but it's not impossible that both are back. I'd like to see Rousek get a shot and that won't happen if they bring both back. I am guessing Savoie makes the team and Kulich is an early call up from Rochester.

7 hours ago, Dr. Who said:

On 4/15/2023 at 5:13 PM, Beast said:

Either that or a very valuable piece to move for another top 4 d-man.

I’d like to think he will be with us for a while. He really found his game this season.

I don't think Mittelstadt is in the core...I expect him to be moved to another team in exchange for a valuable piece coming back.  Our problem now is we have a ton of good players, but they are all the same.  We need much more of a mix going forward, and good names on this team are going to be moved to get there.  That's my assumption, at least.

Another guy who could go is Krebs.  I fully expect Oloffson to be moved as well.

I think Zemgus and Okposo will also be gone, though I could also see signing Okposo to a 1 year deal and retaining him as captain.  I'd rather move on from, personally. (Nothing against him, but it's time to call it a career).

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Nextmanup said:

I don't think Mittelstadt is in the core...I expect him to be moved to another team in exchange for a valuable piece coming back.  Our problem now is we have a ton of good players, but they are all the same.  We need much more of a mix going forward, and good names on this team are going to be moved to get there.  That's my assumption, at least.

Another guy who could go is Krebs.  I fully expect Oloffson to be moved as well.

I think Zemgus and Okposo will also be gone, though I could also see signing Okposo to a 1 year deal and retaining him as captain.  I'd rather move on from, personally. (Nothing against him, but it's time to call it a career).

I think they like Mittelstadt. I'd be surprised if he is moved. I also like who he has become. I think he's a glue guy that can play anywhere from third line up. They might move Krebs, but I suspect he gets next year to see where he develops. VO is going to be moved as part of a package to upgrade D. I'd rather move on from both Z and Okposo, but I think the Sabres value them as leaders and it wouldn't surprise me if at least one of them is back.

Rumor on another site is that neither Comrie or UPL is coming back. I would like to bring in a vet like Varlamov to pair with Levi. Same source claims defensive system will be overhauled and new coaches brought in. (Fella is supposed to be related to KA.) Any semblance of system would be a welcome addition.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.