Buffalo Sabres and NHL 2022-2023

SDS

1 hour ago, BillsFan4 said:

Weird we are still waiting on the trade details hours later. I wonder if they are trying to get ahold of a player involved in the trade first? Or if there are issues with the trade itself?

I guess it came down to Vegas, New Jersey and Carolina with Carolina dropping out last night (or so says Pierre lebrun)

To #NJDevils  :
F Meier (50% RS)
D Harrington
F Ibragimov
D Hatakka
G Émond
2024 5th RD pick (COL)

To #SJSharks  :
F Johnsson
F Zetterlund
D Mukhamadullin
D Okhotiuk
2023 1st RD pick
2024 2nd RD pick (conditional)
2024 7th RD pick

* becomes a 1st if NJ make the conference final

Edited by CountDorkula

1 hour ago, CountDorkula said:

To #NJDevils  :
F Meier (50% RS)
D Harrington
F Ibragimov
D Hatakka
G Émond
2024 5th RD pick (COL)

To #SJSharks  :
F Johnsson
F Zetterlund
D Mukhamadullin
D Okhotiuk
2023 1st RD pick
2024 2nd RD pick (conditional)
2024 7th RD pick

* becomes a 1st if NJ make the conference final

huh. Not sure how to feel about this one. Seems like a good haul but more quantity than quality. Devils kept all of their top  prospects and only gave up 1 player off their roster who I like as a middle 6 guy but I don't know if i see a high ceiling there. I guess if that 2nd turns into a 1st it could be better.

I guess we will see if the Devils can ink Meier to a long term deal and what that deal looks like. I asume it will be expensive. Meier's a RFA at season's end with 1 year to UFA and his qualifying offer alone is $10 million. So if he wants big money from NJ he will probably get it. Seems like he has all the bargaining power.

Now this was a player I was hoping Buffalo would trade for. I thought he could kind of be like a Tom Wilson-lite if Granato could get him to find his scoring touch again. I thought he would have added some needed grit.

But i thought maybe he could be had for like a 2nd + decent prospect. What tampa paid is nuts! He will make their lineup even tougher to play against in the playoffs though, for sure.

I think it’s only a matter of time until Pat Kane is traded to the NYR.

Reportedly he was only interested in going to Toronto or the rangers and Toronto went with ROR.

He’s being held out of the lineup and the NYR have made a couple moves to clear cap space. I’m guessing he will end up there before the deadline.

15 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

Now this was a player I was hoping Buffalo would trade for. I thought he could kind of be like a Tom Wilson-lite if Granato could get him to find his scoring touch again. I thought he would have added some needed grit.

But i thought maybe he could be had for like a 2nd + decent prospect. What tampa paid is nuts! He will make their lineup even tougher to play against in the playoffs though, for sure.

Indeed a way over payment by Tampa IMO. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Why? Stillman sucks! I would say Clague and Bryson are better, so I don’t get the point. Plus, we don’t have many prospects with Bloom’s skill set. I mean, Bloom isn’t a top tier prospect by any means but he was an intriguing bottom 6 forward that brought a skill set we don’t really have much of.

I don’t get this trade. We couldn’t have just given up a late round pick for a depth defenseman?

he was probably the Canucks worst defenseman, and that’s saying something 😂

Edited by BillsFan4

4 hours ago, The Jokeman said:

Indeed a way over payment by Tampa IMO. 

Their GM was just on the local news and he said it's a risk but a calculated risk. His reason being... none of the picks he traded would make an impact this year, next year, and probably the year after. He wants to bolster the team with the group of players they have now because some won't be around in 3 years. 

I hope they fail btw.

15 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Why? Stillman sucks! I would say Clague and Bryson are better, so I don’t get the point. Plus, we don’t have many prospects with Bloom’s skill set. I mean, Bloom isn’t a top tier prospect by any means but he was an intriguing bottom 6 forward that brought a skill set we don’t really have much of.

I don’t get this trade. We couldn’t have just given up a late round pick for a depth defenseman?

he was probably the Canucks worst defenseman, and that’s saying something 😂

I don't know anything about this kid but I read that he can add some grit, isn't afraid to hit and drop the gloves.  If that's the case I am completely on board with a move like this. 

3 hours ago, BillsPride12 said:

I don't know anything about this kid but I read that he can add some grit, isn't afraid to hit and drop the gloves.  If that's the case I am completely on board with a move like this. 

I have no problem adding grit. But I don’t like trading Bloom for it. He was just picked in the 3rd round in 2021 and I liked the way he was developing. He’s over a point a game this season in the OHL. The Sabres thought enough of him to already sign him to his ELC. I just don’t get why they gave him up for what they did 🤷‍♂️

I would have been totally fine with this trade if Adams gave up a 5th or something like that. I did want him to add depth before the trade deadline. I just feel like physical 6/7 defenseman could have been acquired without giving up a guy who was a recent 3rd round pick.

Maybe I’m undervaluing Stillman (I sure hope I am!). And I guess if he helps Buffalo hang onto a wildcard spot it will be well worth it.

edit- they could've had Harrington or Benn for free (both were on waivers in recent days) so they obviously must see something in Stillman I don't that made him worth the cost.

Edited by BillsFan4
  • Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, BillsPride12 said:

There is being tough which we all wanted but and he is a complete liability on the ice. 

Vancouver fans are thrilled he’s gone. 

he’s a very bad player and has been every place he’s been in. 

4th team in less than 2 years as well. 

• Sad 1

He's basically a slight upgrade from Fitzgerald. Team needed some defensive depth and a little sandpaper. In those last two games they won they got tossed around pretty badly (Dahlin is probably still in an ice bath). Tampa is going full thug-mode now with Paul/Cernak/Jeanott.

5 hours ago, Gregg said:

Frank Seravalli on Twitter: "Breaking: It's Showtime. Sources tell @DailyFaceoff: #NYR expected to acquire Patrick Kane for 2023 2nd Rd Pick (can become a 1st) and a 4th Rd Pick. #NYR and #Blackhawks plan to conduct 3-team trade call tonight. Possible Kane makes #NYR debut Wed in Philadelphia vs. #Flyers. https://t.co/GsNeQlk48E" / Twitter

Total steal for the Rangers even if just a rental.

9 hours ago, QCity said:

He's basically a slight upgrade from Fitzgerald. Team needed some defensive depth and a little sandpaper. In those last two games they won they got tossed around pretty badly (Dahlin is probably still in an ice bath). Tampa is going full thug-mode now with Paul/Cernak/Jeanott.

It's kind of sad to think of the Tampa roster as "full thug mode" but these days that's about right.

They are a tough team to play against, at least by 2023 standards.

As you say, this signing is just some defensive depth.  Not much to see here.

How did I know they would struggle against the blue jackets tonight? Ugh. Gotta win these games against inferior opponents. Columbus is trying to draft #1. 

They just seem to struggle against Columbus recently. They won the last game against CBUS but lost the previous 3 or 4 games straight before that. I think they lost all 3 in 2022.

Doesn’t it feel like for some reason they struggle more against poor teams?

5 minutes ago, T&C said:

We have the usual Anderson tonight...

Trade for Demko if the price is reasonable. He would be a good longer term solution. They’d still have room for Levi but they can’t afford to just wait for him though. If this team got league average or better goaltending consistently they’d probably be in the first wildcard spot right now instead of trying to cling to the 2nd.

Or at least trade a mid/late pick for Talbot. Who knows, maybe he’ll go on a crazy hot streak like he did the last time he was traded.😂

9 minutes ago, T&C said:

We have the usual Anderson tonight...

Exactly. The D isn't giving him any help, but he was on his pads for every goal; 3 over the shoulder. I like when goalies protect the post when the puck is moving behind the net, but the 2nd goal....it came out to the high slot and he stayed on his pads. So many things to hate about that 2nd period...

train trainwreck GIF

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.