Buffalo Sabres and NHL 2022-2023

SDS

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

This line of thinking kinda blows my mind. How much worse than Comrie can he really be? At this point I'd want to play him as our shot that might put us over the hump.

There's a belief that if you play a goalie too early (kind of like in the NFL about playing a rookie QB too early), you can ruin him.  I don't agree but that's above my pay grade.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Doc said:

There's a belief that if you play a goalie too early (kind of like in the NFL about playing a rookie QB too early), you can ruin him.  I don't agree but that's above my pay grade.

Gotcha, so kinda like a rookie QB in the NFL. Makes sense I guess. I dont know much about building a team in the NHL.

50 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Gotcha, so kinda like a rookie QB in the NFL. Makes sense I guess. I dont know much about building a team in the NHL.

Yeah I think the thinking is those are the most important positions in their respective sports, so you don't want to rush and potentially ruin them.  But as we're seeing in the NFL and rookie QB's playing early, you either have it or don't.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Yeah, it's probably not going to happen.  But it's still fun to watch games on the assumption that it will.

It definitely CAN, and after this many years of total garbage, this situation is a breath of fresh air!

At least we are a lot of fun to watch, and on good nights look like the 1985 Edmonton Oilers, at least in terms of wild, fun, defense-be-damned playing style....which ain't gonna win a Cup, but it's a hell of a lot of fun to watch.

Team needs to learn how to play much tighter, more responsible, structured defense.   But that will come in time.  They are all still babies.

Yesh it’s nice that the playoffs are in reach. It’s a lot of fun thinking about the Sabres making the playoffs! They have to stay in the race though. The last time they were in playoff contention at this point in the season (IIRC) was in 2018/19 when they traded for Brandon Montour at the deadline. Then they proceeded to completely melt down after the trade deadline winning something like 8 games the rest of the season 🤮

So IMO I don’t consider this a successful season quite yet. Stay in the race and I will! But if they draft in the top 8-9 again it’s going to be hard to feel like this season was a win.

I do feel like this time is different. I really feel like they’re on the right track. But I’ve been fooled before, so I’m still guarded.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Screenshot-20230217-084619.jpg

I can't see how Pittsburgh has locked up anything with 29 games to go. Yes, they have 4-5 games in hand on the Islanders and Panthers. But only lead Detroit by 3 points and the Sabres by 5.

Right now you have 6 teams within 5 points of each other, and 8 teams within 9. It's going to be quite a race for the 2 wild cards.

5 points with 3 point games is a hard nut to crack. Not sure if still tru, but there was a stat definitely pre covid if you were out by 5 points at Thanksgiving, like a 12% chance of making the payoffs. Its harder than it seems. But should be fun as hell with all these teams chasing and in the mix. Does Chychrun(sp) put one of those teams over the top? Wings and Sabes got the money , think the Sabres have more player ammo

52 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

5 points with 3 point games is a hard nut to crack. Not sure if still tru, but there was a stat definitely pre covid if you were out by 5 points at Thanksgiving, like a 12% chance of making the payoffs. Its harder than it seems. But should be fun as hell with all these teams chasing and in the mix. Does Chychrun(sp) put one of those teams over the top? Wings and Sabes got the money , think the Sabres have more player ammo

I don't Chychrun is the only D trade option out there for Buffalo. 

On 2/17/2023 at 11:51 AM, Doc said:

I remember (I’m sure you do as well) Tom Barrasso winning the Vezina trophy and being named 1st team NHL All-Star at 18 years old then following up with another fantastic year his second season. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Beast said:

I remember (I’m sure you do as well) Tom Barrasso winning the Vezina trophy and being named 1st team NHL All-Star at 18 years old then following up with another fantastic year his second season. 

I wasn't following hockey back then.  And Barrasso went from HS to the NHL, which is even more impressive.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Doc said:

Good night last night.  They won and every team they needed to lose did.

I am a night owl anyway, so it's easy for me to enjoy these west coast games.  Caught all of it last night.  Especially in the 2nd and 3rd, we were absolutely FLYING.  We are such a fun team to watch when we are on our game.  There is more talent on the team now than we have had since 2006, which was the best Sabres team I have ever seen play.  We might be better than 2006, once these guys fully develop. 

Guys like Samuellson, Power, Cozens, are all excellent now, but NOT CLOSE to their ceilings.  Same for Tage Thompson for that matter.

Then you have the kids who are still trying to find their games consistently, but promise so much.  That's guys like Peterka, Krebs, Quinn.   And I haven't even mentioned guys like Tuch, Girgs, Skinner, and Dahlin who are in the proven camp as being excellent players now.

And we have the best salary cap situation in the league.

The future is bright.  It would be so much fun to see these kids play a playoff series THIS YEAR.

The building would be packed and the crowd would be in a frenzy, despite the last decade.

And I wouldn't be surprised to see them break out those black goat head sweaters, which I absolutely love, and which we wore in....2006.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

I am a night owl anyway, so it's easy for me to enjoy these west coast games.  Caught all of it last night.  Especially in the 2nd and 3rd, we were absolutely FLYING.  We are such a fun team to watch when we are on our game.  There is more talent on the team now than we have had since 2006, which was the best Sabres team I have ever seen play.  We might be better than 2006, once these guys fully develop. 

Guys like Samuellson, Power, Cozens, are all excellent now, but NOT CLOSE to their ceilings.  Same for Tage Thompson for that matter.

Then you have the kids who are still trying to find their games consistently, but promise so much.  That's guys like Peterka, Krebs, Quinn.   And I haven't even mentioned guys like Tuch, Girgs, Skinner, and Dahlin who are in the proven camp as being excellent players now.

The future is bright.  It would be so much fun to see these kids play a playoff series THIS YEAR.

The building would be packed and the crowd would be in a frenzy, despite the last decade.

And I wouldn't be surprised to see them break out those black goat head sweaters, which I absolutely love, and which we wore in....2006.

The key will be Levi.  Or if UPL can continue to improve.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

Yeah I thought they played well last night. It was a fun game! I thought the 2nd was sloppy though. So many missed passes… other than that it was a great game!

big win! It moved them up the standings. Now they are only 3 points back from the Islanders who hold the last wildcard spot, but they have 5 games in hand on the NYI.

That last wildcard spot is actually in reach if they can keep winning. They have a tough stretch of games coming up. It’ll be important to at least pick up points. Even if they lose, if they can at least get it to overtime it’ll be big.

4 minutes ago, Buffalo Super Fan said:

The Buffalo Sabres have a big game Tuesday against the Toronto Maple Leafs. The Sabres need this game to get points it is most likely going to be mostly Toronto Maple Leafs fans in attendance. Let’s get the Sabres win and send the Leafs fans home unhappy again in my opinion. Go Sabres! Let’s Go Buffalo 

That would be a shame since the Sabres' home ice advantage has been pivotal to their success this year...

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.