Buffalo Sabres and NHL 2022-2023

SDS

1 hour ago, BillsFan4 said:

Hopefully he has a similar breakout to Thompson and we are saying this contract looks like a steal in a year or two!

It's scaled back a bit, but isn't he in the middle of that breakout already?  Just like Thompson he's already topped his career highs.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, shrader said:

It's scaled back a bit, but isn't he in the middle of that breakout already?  Just like Thompson he's already topped his career highs.

yes, i'd say he's really starting to come into his own this season. I just meant hopefully he will outperform his contract like thompson (already) has, to the point where it looks like a steal.

Cozens is playing good hockey and i'm happy with this deal. But i wouldn't call it a steal. Yet. Though i do have confidence it will be in time.

On 2/3/2023 at 2:04 PM, Buffalo716 said:

Downtown Buffalo is a ghost town at noon on workdays because most people are working 

Downtown livens up more at night … Especially sheas district and elmwood and Allentown… even parts of west side and south Buffalo are nite places

Also Amherst is not bigger than Buffalo… You can take the population of Amherst Cheektowaga and Lancaster And the city of Buffalo still has a larger population

And I know economics Is not a straight line thing… Some people are doing better than others

But A lot of people in the city of Buffalo are really struggling for money… It has the highest child poverty rate in the country

And the Buffalo Sabres fans are all not suburbanites… Lots of city fans… Hence buffalo in the Sabres part… They do represent the city

City of Buffalo has a larger population than Amherst but less buying power than in the past that is a problem with downtown sports in Buffalo. Amherst has UB and UB Bulls athletics and the Western New York suburbs have the money the city doesn’t as in the past hence why no Buffalo Bills city stadium built. All I will say is look at the old Buffalo Bills, Sabres, Braves, Bisons, UB Bulls, Bonnies, Griffs and Purple Eagles programs, media guides they tell the sad truth the city of Buffalo I grew up with is gone economically today. Again if one is young you don’t know any better than today’s City of Buffalo which is fine. If you are over 50 years old there is a pretty good likelihood you are a hardcore local college basketball fan under 50 years old probably not. If you are over 50 years old you probably are a hardcore Buffalo Bisons fan there is a major fan change not for the better today in Buffalo it is because Buffalo is poor unfortunately today they can barely afford the Buffalo Bills and Buffalo Sabres never mind anything else sports wise.

I get it Buffalo fans are going to make excuses instead of just telling it like it is Buffalo is too poor even to go to all the Buffalo Sabres games anymore which is sad. The difference with BSF is I tell it like it is from observation of Buffalo sports for 48 years and counting as a 55 year old. That New Buffalo Bills Stadium in Orchard Park again screams the city of Buffalo is too broke to build a huge sports stadium like that. I question if the Buffalo Sabres stay in Buffalo. I don’t see renovations because the money to make that work money numbers wise isn’t there. The Buffalo Sabres attendance is lower than 1996, college basketball is gone today at downtown Buffalo compared to Buffalo AUD days and the Buffalo Bandits attendance is lower that doesn’t say renovations or building a new arena sadly from a sports business perspective I don’t see it unless things really change in the next 5 to 10 years in my opinion. Let’s Go Buffalo 

Edited by Buffalo Super Fan
  • Eyeroll 1

4 hours ago, Buffalo Super Fan said:

City of Buffalo has a larger population than Amherst but less buying power than in the past that is a problem with downtown sports in Buffalo. Amherst has UB and UB Bulls athletics and the Western New York suburbs have the money the city doesn’t as in the past hence why no Buffalo Bills city stadium built. All I will say is look at the old Buffalo Bills, Sabres, Braves, Bisons, UB Bulls, Bonnies, Griffs and Purple Eagles programs, media guides they tell the sad truth the city of Buffalo I grew up with is gone economically today. Again if one is young you don’t know any better than today’s City of Buffalo which is fine. If you are over 50 years old there is a pretty good likelihood you are a hardcore local college basketball fan under 50 years old probably not. If you are over 50 years old you probably are a hardcore Buffalo Bisons fan there is a major fan change not for the better today in Buffalo it is because Buffalo is poor unfortunately today they can barely afford the Buffalo Bills and Buffalo Sabres never mind anything else sports wise.

I get it Buffalo fans are going to make excuses instead of just telling it like it is Buffalo is too poor even to go to all the Buffalo Sabres games anymore which is sad. The difference with BSF is I tell it like it is from observation of Buffalo sports for 48 years and counting as a 55 year old. That New Buffalo Bills Stadium in Orchard Park again screams the city of Buffalo is too broke to build a huge sports stadium like that. I question if the Buffalo Sabres stay in Buffalo. I don’t see renovations because the money to make that work money numbers wise isn’t there. The Buffalo Sabres attendance is lower than 1996, college basketball is gone today at downtown Buffalo compared to Buffalo AUD days and the Buffalo Bandits attendance is lower that doesn’t say renovations or building a new arena sadly from a sports business perspective I don’t see it unless things really change in the next 5 to 10 years in my opinion. Let’s Go Buffalo 

You wrote a lot as usual and I can’t respond to everything… But as a lifelong resident of Buffalo and WNY …

I will say you are really off the mark

There is no Buffalo Bill Stadium in downtown Buffalo not just because of economics …. But because there’s a lot more room in the suburbs.. more tailgating room… they looked at city plans… and yes it’s cheaper , so what

It takes an hour to leave the game in wide-open Orchard Park… It would take three or four hours to get out of a downtown stadium

It’s called planning and logistics

And last I checked it’s still the University at Buffalo… Not the university at Amherst 

And there is a city campus

If everybody loved the city that much why did everybody leave to Orchard Park and Amherst and Williamsville?

And There are plenty of 60 and 70 year old Buffalo sports fans… Who have witnessed everything from the afl to the nfl to the braves to the Sabres and bisons and everything in between 

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Buffalo Super Fan said:

If only the first ward of Buffalo came up with some more money. Would have been a dream stadium. Alas, what could have been.

Edited by QCity
  • Haha (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Buffalo Super Fan said:

New York State is (mostly) paying for the Bills stadium. It has nothing to do with the city of Buffalo having the money. It was the logistics of putting a stadium downtown and everything that would have needed to be done. Plus the Pegulas wanted it in orchard park near their current facilities (which they will continue to use).

As far as Buffalo being broke as the reason for Sabres attendance that is not the case. Bills games cost more and were sold out all season long. It’s mostly the same fan base. 

The location of the stadium has nothing to do with the fan base. You are acting like the fan base is only the residents that live near the stadium or arena and that isn’t the case. Sabres fans stretch all across western NY and Canada. A big chunk of the Sabres fan base is in Canada.

The reason for poor Sabres attendance still has to do with how bad the team was for so long. Fans are slowly starting to come back but there are still an awful lot of fans that just scoreboard watch at most.

You know when the Sabres fan base will come pouring back? If/when the Sabres make the playoffs. Hopefully it happens this year!!

Edited by BillsFan4

1 hour ago, BillsFan4 said:

New York State is (mostly) paying for the Bills stadium. It has nothing to do with the city of Buffalo having the money. It was the logistics of putting a stadium downtown and everything that would have needed to be done. Plus the Pegulas wanted it in orchard park near their current facilities (which they will continue to use).

As far as Buffalo being broke as the reason for Sabres attendance that is not the case. Bills games cost more and were sold out all season long. It’s mostly the same fan base. 

The location of the stadium has nothing to do with the fan base. You are acting like the fan base is only the residents that live near the stadium or arena and that isn’t the case. Sabres fans stretch all across western NY and Canada. A big chunk of the Sabres fan base is in Canada.

The reason for poor Sabres attendance still has to do with how bad the team was for so long. Fans are slowly starting to come back but there are still an awful lot of fans that just scoreboard watch at most.

You know when the Sabres fan base will come pouring back? If/when the Sabres make the playoffs. Hopefully it happens this year!!

I have no issue with where the stadium is. My issue is that its just a modern update to Highmark stadium. All these other teams are building these state of the art stadiums and Buffalo stays minor league. I'm not saying make it a dome but make it on the level of the 49ers stadium at least.  

As far as the Sabres go, one thing that would help them in drawing people is the media actually covering them. It drives me nuts that now that the Bills season is over, the Sabres don't get more coverage. 

On 2/8/2023 at 1:06 PM, Jrb1979 said:

I have no issue with where the stadium is. My issue is that its just a modern update to Highmark stadium. All these other teams are building these state of the art stadiums and Buffalo stays minor league. I'm not saying make it a dome but make it on the level of the 49ers stadium at least.  

As far as the Sabres go, one thing that would help them in drawing people is the media actually covering them. It drives me nuts that now that the Bills season is over, the Sabres don't get more coverage. 

The Sabres are in a bye week so that may be why. Season restarts Saturday.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I was at the game.   The whole team gave up after the first period. Jack Quinn was particularly brutal.  Whole team was s**t though.

If you'd have had mushrooms in your omelet, you wouldn't have cared as much and would still be carousing bars enjoying funky neon right now. 🤷‍♂️

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Well, that was obviously not what we were hoping to see in their first game coming off break, especially with other teams right in front of Buffalo in the playoff race winning today. Hopefully it was just rust. I'm sure some of it was. But it also looked like they had trouble dealing with Calgary once they turned it up in the 2nd. Buffalo had a good 1st. They were overwhelming Calgary with their speed. But then Calgary pushed back in the 2nd and it didn't go well for Buffalo.

That's what they should expect from teams down this stretch. Now is when the games get tougher. Veteran teams know what it takes to stay in a playoff spot. I just hope they can at least stay in the playoff race. They can't crumble down the stretch like every other season if they want to consider this season a success. I'm hopeful they won't!

9 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

Well, that was obviously not what we were hoping to see in their first game coming off break, especially with other teams right in front of Buffalo in the playoff race winning today. Hopefully it was just rust. I'm sure some of it was. But it also looked like they had trouble dealing with Calgary once they turned it up in the 2nd. Buffalo had a good 1st. They were overwhelming Calgary with their speed. But then Calgary pushed back in the 2nd and it didn't go well for Buffalo.

That's what they should expect from teams down this stretch. Now is when the games get tougher. Veteran teams know what it takes to stay in a playoff spot. I just hope they can at least stay in the playoff race. They can't crumble down the stretch like every other season if they want to consider this season a success. I'm hopeful they won't!

Calgary was three games off their bye. It was the Sabres first. Not everyone is at their best coming off a vacation.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Calgary was three games off their bye. It was the Sabres first. Not everyone is at their best coming off a vacation.

I was talking to my son as we were on our way to the game.  Buffalo playing an early Sat afternoon game, after a 10 game layoff, right before a 3 game west coast road trip.  It didn’t feel like a recipe for a good Sabres effort.  Frankly, they looked flat and disinterested.  It was weird.

On 2/12/2023 at 9:25 AM, PromoTheRobot said:

I’m sorry but these excuses are getting old. 

the Carolina game was “well it was the last game before break”

Calgary game was “well it was the first game back after a break” 

the game last night was “well it was the first game of a west coast trip and they need to find their legs after travel”

how about sack up and win a damn game. They arnt just losing either. They are getting their faces stomped in. 

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, CountDorkula said:

I’m sorry but these excuses are getting old. 

the Carolina game was “well it was the last game before break”

Calgary game was “well it was the first game back after a break” 

the game last night was “well it was the first game of a west coast trip and they need to find their legs after travel”

how about sack up and win a damn game. They arnt just losing either. They are getting their faces stomped in. 

Agreed.  There's no excuses to lose 4 straight games when you are in the playoff hunt.  They are pissing on their own leg at this point.  But I'm glad I was sleeping during the game last night.  

I’m not going to overreact to 2 bad games, but I’d by lying if I said it doesn’t concern me and give me some flashbacks to all the collapses down the stretch.

I thought it was the same story again last night as it was on Saturday. It looked like they couldn’t handle the intensity of a team pushing for the playoffs.

and way too many breakdowns in the D zone. Yikes. They gotta clean that **** up quick.

Lets hope they can get back in the win column tomorrow. No excuses against Anaheim. That’s a game they have to win!

https://www.nhl.com/standings/2022/division

they have to get back on track quick if they want to stay in the playoff race.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.