Buffalo Sabres and NHL 2022-2023

SDS

4 hours ago, BillsFanNC said:

That would certainly help some, but in the intermission on TNT last night they mentioned the Sabres are dead last in the league in number of dangerous scoring chances given to the opposition.  Improve in goal and cut down those chances and this team is going places.

Unfortunately those dangerous scoring chances are a byproduct of the fast-paced up tempo Offense we play so it's a Catch-22.  We need to improve Defensively for sure but I don't want them to tighten things up too much because of the rate we can score at with that style.  Definitely need better goaltending though.

1 hour ago, BillsPride12 said:

Unfortunately those dangerous scoring chances are a byproduct of the fast-paced up tempo Offense we play so it's a Catch-22.  We need to improve Defensively for sure but I don't want them to tighten things up too much because of the rate we can score at with that style.  Definitely need better goaltending though.

Or...we just boat race teams every night! :w00t:

2 hours ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

This team feels special this season. Taking it 1 game at a time but damn they’re definitely impressing me

I have watched every minute of every game since Granato took over and I love what he's doing with the Sabres. They are a fun team to watch and root for. Yes, they have issues with defense and goaltending. But stop for a minute and consider what they've done since head coach Darth Krueger was fired. They literally replaced "generational talent" Jack Eichel with a guy who was on the team all along and no one gave two thoughts about. A guy who was a throw-in on a bad trade.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Or...we just boat race teams every night! :w00t:

I have watched every minute of every game since Granato took over and I love what he's doing with the Sabres. They are a fun team to watch and root for. Yes, they have issues with defense and goaltending. But stop for a minute and consider what they've done since head coach Darth Krueger was fired. They literally replaced "generational talent" Jack Eichel with a guy who was on the team all along and no one gave two thoughts about. A guy who was a throw-in on a bad trade.

Tage Thompson was a top prospect for the Blues 

He was not a throwaway afterthought… At least not to people around hockey

The Sabres weren’t taking the trade without tage

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Tage Thompson was a top prospect for the Blues 

He was not a throwaway afterthought… At least not to people around hockey

The Sabres weren’t taking the trade without tage

He was a 1st round pick that underperformed in St. Louis. Tage was second to the 1st rd pick in that ROR trade.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

35 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

He was a 1st round pick that underperformed in St. Louis. Tage was second to the 1st rd pick in that ROR trade.

By all accounts tage was the top 1-3 Prospect under the age of 21 in their system

Unless you’re a generational Prospect or top 10 pick

It’s hard to call a 19-20 year old an under performer in the NHL… He needed to develop his 5 on 5 skill

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

By all accounts tage was the top 1-3 Prospect under the age of 21 in their system

Unless you’re a generational Prospect or top 10 pick

It’s hard to call a 19-20 year old an under performer in the NHL… He needed to develop his 5 on 5 skill

The Sabres wanted Robert Thomas or Jordan Kyrou but the Blues wouldn’t budge on that issue. Botterill definitely had to “settle” for Thompson. 

• Agree 1

20 hours ago, Doc said:

I still SMH whenever I see how well McDavid is doing.  He should have been ours.

McDavid's pre NHL highlights were incredible but count me among the people who thought he would get killed trying to weave through 5 guys in the pros.  Needless to say, it still looks like hes playing against junior level talent and no one can touch him at any level.  I don't know if hes the best hockey player of all time yet, since the team factor and elevating teammates is such a big part of that, but without a doubt hes the most singularly talented player to ever put on skates.

Edited by Jauronimo

34 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

McDavid's pre NHL highlights were incredible but count me among the people who thought he would get killed trying to weave through 5 guys in the pros.  Needless to say, it still looks like hes playing against junior level talent and no one can touch him at any level.  I don't know if hes the best hockey player of all time yet, since the team factor and elevating teammates is such a big part of that, but without a doubt hes the most singularly talented player to ever put on skates.

If he played in a different era he might get his head taken off. He is great though, and maybe he would have adjusted his game to work in a different era anyway.

There will never be a better player than Gretzky ever though. And Bobby Orr would be #2.

13 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

If McDavid played in the 70s or 80s he would score comfortably over 100 goals a season.

He has good size which is often overlooked.  He is not just some speedy little guy.  Comparing players across eras is always difficult, perhaps foolish, but I don't see how anyone could get close enough to touch him in any era of hockey.  His combination of speed and skill is unparalleled. 

49 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

He has good size which is often overlooked.  He is not just some speedy little guy.  Comparing players across eras is always difficult, perhaps foolish, but I don't see how anyone could get close enough to touch him in any era of hockey.  His combination of speed and skill is unparalleled. 

I always think that in hockey especially... these guys have perfected the efficiency of movement so much, as well as conditioning and nutrition.  I really think you could take a bottom pairing defenseman in 2022, put him in 1980 and he would be a superstar.

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

I always think that in hockey especially... these guys have perfected the efficiency of movement so much, as well as conditioning and nutrition.  I really think you could take a bottom pairing defenseman in 2022, put him in 1980 and he would be a superstar.

The equipment too.  The skates guys were wearing in the 70s had no support.  They may as well have been Converse sneakers tied to kitchen knives compared to what we have today.  And these composite sticks are crazy.  I remember the first slap shot I took with the first gen composite sticks and the puck explodes off your blade compared to the old wood or aluminum sticks.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.