Buffalo Sabres and NHL 2022-2023

SDS

14 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

They wasted 11 years trying to take shortcuts. GM Tim Murray in particular wasted a deep prospect pool and draft picks on hot garbage. Kevyn Adams doesn't care about droughts and fan impatience. He and Granato are sticking to their plan.

I agree and understand to an extent.  What I don’t get is how every other terrible team in the league, except us and the Canucks, seems to turn things around in 2-3 years consistently.  Their shortcuts are working.

I truly believe that with the exception of anyone that committed criminal acts, etc., that Tim Murray was the worst GM in the history of professional sports.

18 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

I agree and understand to an extent.  What I don’t get is how every other terrible team in the league, except us and the Canucks, seems to turn things around in 2-3 years consistently.  Their shortcuts are working.

I truly believe that with the exception of anyone that committed criminal acts, etc., that Tim Murray was the worst GM in the history of professional sports.

You have to look at every case as to why. You can't make blanket assumptions. The Sabres fell pretty far before turning things around.  Consider the division they play in. 

Edited by PromoTheRobot

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

They wasted 11 years trying to take shortcuts. GM Tim Murray in particular wasted a deep prospect pool and draft picks on hot garbage. Kevyn Adams doesn't care about droughts and fan impatience. He and Granato are sticking to their plan.

You can’t blame everything in Tim Murray though.  

Jason Botterill was equally as bad. Ownership constantly flip flopping on the plan didn’t help. 

Adams and co tried to make the playoffs year 1 and failed. 

the Sabres have been a different level of inept for years. 

it remains to be seen if Adams has the stones/ability to do it. 

the only major piece he has brought in so far is Tuch and it took trading Eichel. 

im excited for the future, but until the team proves that winning is priority number 1, my confidence will remain at a med/low level. 

Edited by CountDorkula
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, CountDorkula said:

You can’t blame everything in Tim Murray though.  Try me.

Jason Botterill was equally as bad.  Not equally bad. But hiring Krueger was rock bottom.

Ownership constantly flip flopping on the plan didn’t help.  Hard to say what ownership did other than cut costs drastically when COVID hit. I think Terry meddled some early but let his people do their jobs later. Unfortunately those people weren't very good.

The Sabres have been a different level of inept for years. Nothing happens in a vacuum. This is where I put Murray at the top of the blame list.

It remains to be seen if Adams has the stones/ability to do it.  The Eichel trade proved a lot. Not just to the fan base but the rest of the NHL. Adams and Granato have made the Sabres go from a dumpster fire to a respectable franchise in just a little more than a year

The only major piece he has brought in so far is Tuch and it took trading Eichel.  HUH??? What about signing Tage Thompson and Mattias Samuelsson early to lock them up at lower cost deals? What about drafting Jack Quinn when everyone was screaming for Marco Rossi? Trading up for JJ Peterka?

I'm excited for the future, but until the team proves that winning is priority number 1, my confidence will remain at a med/low level.  I heard the same thing about the Bills in 2017 when McDermott was hired. Always easier to predict failure than success.

• Thank you (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, billsfanmiamioh said:

He’s not the answer, that’s for sure.

It’s why I’m a little concerned the Sabres are penciling in Levi as the starter is 2 years and by reports wouldn’t go over a two-three year deal for any goalie. 

UPL was once the guy and had a fantastic pre NHL career. 

it doesn’t appear Comrie is it either. 

Anderson is probably in his last season. 

is UPL the guy they trot out for the next two years? 

28 minutes ago, CountDorkula said:

It’s why I’m a little concerned the Sabres are penciling in Levi as the starter is 2 years and by reports wouldn’t go over a two-three year deal for any goalie. 

UPL was once the guy and had a fantastic pre NHL career. 

it doesn’t appear Comrie is it either. 

Anderson is probably in his last season. 

is UPL the guy they trot out for the next two years? 

You never know with goalie prospects.  Its a strange position to forecast.  You need to scatter-shot prospects and some are bound to pan out.   If/when you can get a goalie out there via trade or FA, do it.  Its unbelievable that they are in this position at this point in time, when Adams has had 3 summers to address it.

Depending/waiting on a guy in the pipeline to take over in a few years is foolish and I really hope they aren't even thinking it.  If they are, they need to join the Murray/Botterill/Bylsma/Housley/Kruger pile.

The Sabres defense is deficient, but it's been so obvious for several years that the main problem with this club is goaltending.  In part they have not addressed it properly and in part they just haven't gotten lucky with it either.  Some random guys sign with other clubs and they flourish or a prospect comes out of nowhere to be good.  That hasn't happened in Buffalo.  Also, they had Ullmark in the building...who won games with a terrible team here.  And they let him walk away.  I'm sure he wanted to walk away too.  All these guys want to play in the playoffs eventually.

6 hours ago, zow2 said:

The Sabres defense is deficient, but it's been so obvious for several years that the main problem with this club is goaltending.  In part they have not addressed it properly and in part they just haven't gotten lucky with it either.  Some random guys sign with other clubs and they flourish or a prospect comes out of nowhere to be good.  That hasn't happened in Buffalo.  Also, they had Ullmark in the building...who won games with a terrible team here.  And they let him walk away.  I'm sure he wanted to walk away too.  All these guys want to play in the playoffs eventually.

Reports were that Ullmark was willing to stay and just wanted term and Buffalo wouldn’t give it to him.

I like a lot of what Adams has done but letting Ullmark walk over term (if true) is IMO probably Adams biggest mistake so far. Why not just give him the 5 year deal he wanted (and got in Boston)? Who would they have been blocking?

Right now Ullmark is near the top of the league in save percentage and GAA. Obviously playing for Boston helps that, but he was a serviceable starter here. Even a league average starter would be a big upgrade for Buffalo. He was a good team guy too. Definitely fits the culture they’re building.

28 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Reports were that Ullmark was willing to stay and just wanted term and Buffalo wouldn’t give it to him.

I like a lot of what Adams has done but letting Ullmark walk over term (if true) is IMO probably Adams biggest mistake so far. Why not just give him the 5 year deal he wanted (and got in Boston)? Who would they have been blocking?

Right now Ullmark is near the top of the league in save percentage and GAA. Obviously playing for Boston helps that, but he was a serviceable starter here. Even a league average starter would be a big upgrade for Buffalo. He was a good team guy too. Definitely fits the culture they’re building.

Linus Ullmark was willing to stay for longer length and more money than the Boston Bruins offer. That is bad business for the Buffalo Sabres to overpay a mediocre at best goalie. Linus Ullmark is in his prime now and he isn’t that good no thank you. This team failed when they didn’t sign Devon Levi to start this season as the number one goalie with Craig Anderson the backup helping Devon Levi get use to NHL life like what the Buffalo Bills do. There is no solid NHL goalie and until there is the Buffalo Sabres are going no where regardless if both Conor McDavid and Jack Eichel were on the Sabres there going no where until the goalie situation is taken care of. Look back to the good Sabres teams from the past they had good goaltending. Our goalies have been bad since Ryan Milled was traded.

Also Don Granato isn’t the answer the Sabres failed when they fired Lindy Ruff. When we did that our team culture failed when it came to hard work and winning. The Sabres need a goalie and a better head coach make a trade with the New Jersey Devils draft considerations for getting Lindy Ruff back. I saw enough Don Granato got badly out coached in that New Jersey Devils game he is part of Ralph Krueger staff he is no winner a career minor league coach that didn’t become a head coach until

this late stage in his coaching career tells you a lot. But unfortunately Western New York sports fans and our local sports media like the underdog and don’t see Don Granato isn’t NHL head coaching material in my opinion. Go Sabres! Let’s Go Buffalo 

Edited by Buffalo Super Fan
  • Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Buffalo Super Fan said:

Linus Ullmark was willing to stay for longer length and more money than the Boston Bruins offer. That is bad business for the Buffalo Sabres to overpay a mediocre at best goalie. Linus Ullmark is in his prime now and he isn’t that good no thank you. This team failed when they didn’t sign Devon Levi to start this season as the number one goalie with Craig Anderson the backup helping Devon Levi get use to NHL life like what the Buffalo Bills do. There is no solid NHL goalie and until there is the Buffalo Sabres are going no where regardless if both Conor McDavid and Jack Eichel were on the Sabres there going no where until the goalie situation is taken care of. Look back to the good Sabres teams from the past they had good goaltending. Our goalies have been bad since Ryan Milled was traded.

Also Don Granato isn’t the answer the Sabres failed when they fired Lindy Ruff. When we did that our team culture failed when it came to hard work and winning. The Sabres need a goalie and a better head coach make a trade with the New Jersey Devils draft considerations for getting Lindy Ruff back. I saw enough Don Granato got badly out coached in that New Jersey Devils game he is part of Ralph Krueger staff he is no winner a career minor league coach that didn’t become a head coach until

this late stage in his coaching career tells you a lot. But unfortunately Western New York sports fans and our local sports media like the underdog and don’t see Don Granato isn’t NHL head coaching material in my opinion. Go Sabres! Let’s Go Buffalo 

Was Adams supposed to walk into Levi's dorm room and kidnap him?

Blew another third period lead but got the point back in the shootout with Quinn’s great move.

This team certainly doesn’t lack in scorers, it’s our goaltending/defense that needs to improve. Hopefully Samuelson can mature and help us tighten up that end

Edited by Bray Wyatt

3 hours ago, Bray Wyatt said:

Blew another third period lead but got the point back in the shootout with Quinn’s great move.

This team certainly doesn’t lack in scorers, it’s our goaltending/defense that needs to improve. Hopefully Samuelson can mature and help us tighten up that end

That was a total loss of composure in the 3rd, again.  Like Carter Hutton, just let in a softy, and attempting to smuggle a brick of keystered cocaine across international borders level bed pooping.  I really question the decision to start swinging their sticks around recklessly after giving up the tying goal rather than focus on fundamentals but the PK finally did something right and rose to the challenge.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, f0neguy said:

If GMKA could somehow find another Samuelsson to pair with Power that would do wonders for our defense.  Top two pairs get +25 minutes a night, third pair gets what’s left.  Goalies should look a little better as well.

Jakob Chychrun perhaps?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.