Buffalo Sabres and NHL 2022-2023

SDS

1 hour ago, jayg said:

Too lazy to look but any generational talent coming up next year? If that even matters..

Yeah. Connor Bedard. Probably easily the best 1st overall since McDavid.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/juniors/article/looking-at-16-year-old-whl-phenom-connor-bedards-historic-season/

but as bad as this 8 game losing streak has been I think the Sabres will likely finish outside the bottom 3. I don’t think they’ll truly be in the race for Bedard.

Buffalo luck, they’d finish last and lose the lottery anyway😂. I can’t do another mcdavid draft heart break. 

Edited by BillsFan4
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

I started watching the first period. Turned it off when the leafs scored their 3rd goal.

Just flipped the game back on to see the leafs score their 5th goal. 5-1 Toronto.

Immediately changed the channel. 😂

looks like this will be loss #8 in a row. 🤢🤮

🤬**** this team.

This loss and the 8 game losing streak is disappointing.  I was hoping the team have developed beyond doing something like this.  This is the sort of thing we were seeing here for a decade with tank rosters and some of the worst coaches in Sabres history.

This thing is probably going to get to double digits.

They are just not playing the same way they started the season.

🤷‍♂️

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/juniors/article/looking-at-16-year-old-whl-phenom-connor-bedards-historic-season/

but as bad as this 8 game losing streak has been I think the Sabres will likely finish outside the bottom 3. I don’t think they’ll truly be in the race for Bedard.

Buffalo luck, they’d finish last and lose the lottery anyway😂. I can’t do another mcdavid draft heart break. 

Thank you for the response

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

Yea but would he play NHL immediately or would the Sabres keep him in the lower leagues for 5 years?

Bedard will be in the NHL next season.

The Sabres have a worse record now than this time last season.  Can't wrap my head around that.  Those extensions to the gm and coach, followed by their social media spiking the football about it doesn't seem like a good idea.

It's like a never ending nightmare

Edited by May Day 10

1 hour ago, May Day 10 said:

Bedard will be in the NHL next season.

The Sabres have a worse record now than this time last season.  Can't wrap my head around that.  Those extensions to the gm and coach, followed by their social media spiking the football about it doesn't seem like a good idea.

It's like a never ending nightmare

The extensions don't mean anything.  Pegula has a history of giving lengthy K extensions out, only to fire the guy way before the K is up, if things don't go well.

He did it going all the way back to Darcy and a few since.  

I had hopes for this combo to be honest, and still believe the coach is good. 

But at some point the team will have to improve or else goodbye Granato and try someone else.

I still think they should bring in a proven NHL level, Cup winning HC.

They have only done that with Dan Bylsma--but a lot of us HATED that hire and had zero expectations of it working.  Bylsma was a one shot wonder and his success in Pittsburgh had everything to do with factors other than his own coaching.  His coaching career is dead forever after being dumped in Buffalo.  

I'm still not ready now to move on from Granato, but I'm starting to think about it.

The team just CAN'T play like this for a couple week straight and think it's OK.

Something has to give!

12 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

I think their "compete" is actually pretty solid tonight, but their play is not focused.

4-1 as we head into the 3rd.  Looks like the streak continues.

This ***** is getting stupid.

The kids out there tonight were NOT here a decade ago.  A lot of them weren't here either last year or the year before that.  They are the youngest roster in the league.

Compete was fine last night. Too many mistakes on defense and for all their possession the Sabres have not generated enough quality scoring chances.

In the defensive zone, we have a bunch of puck watchers.  Joker and his partner were both playing the same guy and no one picks up the man coming down the slot.  We see that same goal again and again.  Collapsing 4 guys down low and generally being in the right vicinity is not the same as defensive.  Its incredibly frustrating watching teams generate so many chances from the slot while our offense finds no time and space except around the perimeter.

- Dahlin's WTF moments have returned as he basically handed Toronto two shorthanded breakaways. 

- UPL played himself out of position pretty badly on the last two goals against I thought.

- Tage continues to impress me with his effort and playmaking night in night out.  Hes a one man show most of the time.  Skinner is playing like he got back together with Ralph.  Tuch is mostly useless.

- Cozens has really taken a big step this year. He's playing with so much more confidence.  I really liked what he brought to the PP.  Its not showing up on the score sheet but I think its a matter of when not if he starts tallying goals.  Love the kid line with Cozens + Peterka.  Quin flashes some skill but lacks the athleticism to do more.

- Fix the PP by firing Skinner into the sun.  Our PP would be improved if Skinner just turned and fired the puck at his own net every time he touched the puck as it would save the time it usually takes for him to force another pass through the middle with no pace that gets picked off and sent the length of the ice.  I don't know how Granato tolerates it.  No one can make a controlled entry but Tage.  Tuch tries but thats a turnover or he gets a shot off from the outside that is instantly sent the length of the ice.  Really not impressed with Tuch or Skinner this year.

Lindy really has the devils playing some good hockey. They look like an exciting young up and coming team.

Devils fans have sure changed their tune on him!

they went from booing him and chanting for him to be fired…

to this! That’s pretty awesome that they chanted “sorry Lindy!”. 

I’m happy he’s finding success there. I wish he wasn’t so successful against Buffalo last night, but I’m happy for Lindy overall.

Edited by BillsFan4

I am generally happy with the current overall direction of the Sabres and the cancerous growth known as Eichel had to be removed, but I’m still not thrilled at the pace. My prediction that Seattle would make the playoffs before Buffalo…..made years before the franchise played its first game, appears to be about to come true.

1 hour ago, 4merper4mer said:

I am generally happy with the current overall direction of the Sabres and the cancerous growth known as Eichel had to be removed, but I’m still not thrilled at the pace. My prediction that Seattle would make the playoffs before Buffalo…..made years before the franchise played its first game, appears to be about to come true.

They wasted 11 years trying to take shortcuts. GM Tim Murray in particular wasted a deep prospect pool and draft picks on hot garbage. Kevyn Adams doesn't care about droughts and fan impatience. He and Granato are sticking to their plan.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.