Buffalo Sabres and NHL 2022-2023

SDS

The Sabres aren't terrible by any means, but after the Carolina game i said you can't let that loss grow into losing 3 of the next 4,  5 of the next 7, etc...  That's what the "old" Sabres would allow to happen.   Well, now they've lost 4 in a row (and counting) and that's pretty inexcusable.   What's worse is losing them all in regulation.  That's kind of rare in today's NHL.  Most losing streaks include a game or two that earns a losers point.  But Buffalo can't even get these games to OT.  There's no positive spin on this.  A lot of teams have injuries and others step in and help.  

• Like (+1) 1

You know its a weird night when I find myself being a little sympathetic for Jack.  He handled himself well with the media before, during, and after the game.  I was shocked to hear him admit that he was hurt by the booing when he came back last year.  Its easy to forget that his issue was with the Pegulas rather than his teammates, the fans, or the city.  Playing on a team with decent support where he doesn't wear the C, an A, and isn't expected to save a franchise suits him well.  He isn't a leader.  He is still a talented player and it sounds like his Vegas teammates love him.  The locker room opinion is the ultimate barometer for me.  But love is easy when everything is going great.  At least his hatty came after he got blanked on two straight breakaway chances and included an empty netter.

Tuch looked awful last night.  So many turnovers.  He is struggling to find space despite his speed.  When he does find space he tries to stick handle through the whole team.  Mostly ineffective.  

Skinner has been Tuch light.  Repeatedly forcing passes through the middle that are always turnovers.  Horrible execution on the 2 on 1 to not come away with a shot on net. 

Cozens is snake bit.  Hes playing really well and generating chances.  Hit some more iron tonight but cant buy a goal.  Unfortunately on the other end of the ice everything he touches goes in the net.   

12 hours ago, Buffalo Super Fan said:

That was an embarrassing loss for the Buffalo Sabres team tonight. The Sabres are falling into all the bad habits again the effort wasn’t there. I question the Sabres ever winning with Don Granato. It is the same crap every year we are done by Thanksgiving again embarrassing in my opinion. Go Sabres! Let’s Go Buffalo 

Too early to sound this alarm.

I still have faith in Granato; I think he's a good coach.

We have to see what this losing streak is followed by.

We REALLY MISS Samuelsson and Joker on D right now.  Their loss forces lesser D Men to play minutes over their head against matchups they can't handle...and the result is this huge amount of odd man rushes and breakaways.

If you're going to declare the season over, at least wait until Sammy and Joker come back, and see what that does for the team D.

We're 4th overall in scoring with 54 goals in 14 games.  Can't hate the offense too much, can you?

12 minutes ago, zow2 said:

The Sabres aren't terrible by any means, but after the Carolina game i said you can't let that loss grow into losing 3 of the next 4,  5 of the next 7, etc...  That's what the "old" Sabres would allow to happen.   Well, now they've lost 4 in a row (and counting) and that's pretty inexcusable.   What's worse is losing them all in regulation.  That's kind of rare in today's NHL.  Most losing streaks include a game or two that earns a losers point.  But Buffalo can't even get these games to OT.  There's no positive spin on this.  A lot of teams have injuries and others step in and help.  

Yeah, but Vegas is the best team in the league right now and tomorrow we play Boston--the best team in the East.

Count on a loss there as well.

For me, the chance to dig out of this big hole and turn it around starts  Vancouver next week!

And then 3 games on the road in Canada.

Vancouver is a mess; there's your win to get out of the hole.

Edited by Nextmanup
  • Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Pretty entertaining game, but if we are going to give the puck away like this and give up THIS many odd-man rushes, we won't come close to making the playoffs.

They aren’t making the playoffs this year, and I don’t think it was even a goal of management TBH. 

Buffalo entered the season with the youngest roster in the NHL, and the cheapest roster in the NHL. They signed a grand total of 2 low level free agents (a backup goalie and a #4/5 defenseman). I think the goal this season was to get the kids experience. They left roster spots for Quinn and Peterka on purpose. 

I wanted more urgency this past offseason but I doubt they were attracting any decent free agents anyway. They could have made trades or waiver claims though.

Adams and Granato seem intent on building this team up through the draft, which is fine. It’s what should have been done years ago.

They also seem intent on keeping the roster low budget for now. I think it might be partly for job security reasons. If you’re losing with a cheap roster it’s easier to explain to Pegula than if you’re losing with an expensive roster (like Botterill and Murray did).

I just want to see growth.

• Like (+1) 3

33 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

You know its a weird night when I find myself being a little sympathetic for Jack.  He handled himself well with the media before, during, and after the game.  I was shocked to hear him admit that he was hurt by the booing when he came back last year.  Its easy to forget that his issue was with the Pegulas rather than his teammates, the fans, or the city.  Playing on a team with decent support where he doesn't wear the C, an A, and isn't expected to save a franchise suits him well.  He isn't a leader.  He is still a talented player and it sounds like his Vegas teammates love him.  The locker room opinion is the ultimate barometer for me.  But love is easy when everything is going great.  At least his hatty came after he got blanked on two straight breakaway chances and included an empty netter.

Tuch looked awful last night.  So many turnovers.  He is struggling to find space despite his speed.  When he does find space he tries to stick handle through the whole team.  Mostly ineffective.  

Skinner has been Tuch light.  Repeatedly forcing passes through the middle that are always turnovers.  Horrible execution on the 2 on 1 to not come away with a shot on net. 

Cozens is snake bit.  Hes playing really well and generating chances.  Hit some more iron tonight but cant buy a goal.  Unfortunately on the other end of the ice everything he touches goes in the net.   

reminder that Eichel asked for a trade before the 2020 season (which was before he was injured). So I don’t buy that his issue was with the Pegulas/surgery. I think he was sick of the losing and wanted out. I could have respected that if he just signed a bridge deal. But he only wanted a max term contract. Then what, 2 years into it he asked for a trade? **** him.

I agree with pretty much everything else you said though.

Eichel is better suited in the role he has now. He’s not asked to lead, just produce. He’s good at that.

Tuch has been fighting it all season. So has skinner. Looks like he’s having another down year. What pisses me off the most is his (skinner’s) lack of effort on a lot of nights.

Thsnkfully Tage looks like a beast. That deal could end up being a steal, and I was a bit worried about that one when he signed it. So glad he’s picking up right where he left off last season!

Cozens looks pretty good. He definitely seems to have taken a step forward. I still want more from him but he’s young, and power forward typed take longer to develop (if you want to call him a power forward…). TBH I still don’t feel great about drafting him over Zegras though. I wanted Zegras so bad. He looks like a legit star already, and his happy-go-lucky personality is so infectious.

Sorry. Just venting. I was watching the ducks game a couple nights ago and was constantly drawn to Zegras every time he was on the ice. But I’m still holding out hope that Cozens ends up being as good as Zegras. Zegras-Thompson would sure be a great 1-2 punch at C though.

edit - forgot to add re:Eichel -

I found it funny how eager he was to do a post game interview last night. Remember last year he wasn’t even going to do a post game interview. Mike Harrington had to harass Vegas staff until Eichel finally came out, and it didn’t go well at all. He was an incredibly sore loser. That interview is still being used in memes.

But he plays well + wins and he can’t wait to interview 😂

I get it though. He was booed relentlessly all night.

Edited by BillsFan4
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, Bray Wyatt said:

And I think we can say we are done with the Comrie experiment. The Arizona game was some flukely bs that sometimes happens in hockey.

But is it a fluke if it continues to happen again and again?

• Disagree 1

24 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

reminder that Eichel asked for a trade before the 2020 season (which was before he was injured). So I don’t buy that his issue was with the Pegulas/surgery. I think he was sick of the losing and wanted out. I could have respected that if he just signed a bridge deal. But he only wanted a max term contract. Then what, 2 years into it he asked for a trade? **** him.

Eichel is better suited in the role he has now. He’s not asked to lead, just produce. He’s good at that.

Tuch has been fighting it all season. So has skinner. Looks like he’s having another down year. What pisses me off the most is his (skinner’s) lack of effort on a lot of nights.

Thsnkfully Tage looks like a beast. That deal could end up being a steal, and I was a bit worried about that one when he signed it. So glad he’s picking up right where he left off last season!

Cozens looks pretty good. He definitely seems to have taken a step forward. I still want more from him but he’s young, and power forward typed take longer to develop (if you want to call him a power forward…). TBH I still don’t feel great about drafting him over Zegras though. I wanted Zegras so bad. He looks like a legit star already, and his happy-go-lucky personality is so infectious.

Sorry. Just venting. I was watching the ducks game a couple nights ago and was constantly drawn to Zegras every time he was on the ice. But I’m still holding out hope that Cozens ends up being as good as Zegras. Zegras-Thompson would sure be a great 1-2 punch at C though.

I found it funny how eager he was to do a post game interview last night. Remember last year he wasn’t even going to do a post game interview. Mike Harrington had to harass Vegas staff until Eichel finally came out, and it didn’t go well at all. He was an incredibly sore loser. That interview is still being used in memes.

Fair points on Jack.  I don't miss him.  I was caught very off guard when he admitted insecurity and that he was hurt by the reception he got back in Buffalo and that he expressed some regret in his post game presser.  He even showed a little humility when asked about the goals he scored and said something like "yeah its a lot easier to score when the goalie isn't in net" acknowledging that he was stoned on two breakaways and a few other great scoring chances.  Eichel coming across as semi likable was something I considered as likely as Dahlin scoring on a 50 goal pace this season.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

They aren’t making the playoffs this year, and I don’t think it was even a goal of management TBH. 

Buffalo entered the season with the youngest roster in the NHL, and the cheapest roster in the NHL. They signed a grand total of 2 low level free agents (a backup goalie and a #4/5 defenseman). I think the goal this season was to get the kids experience. They left roster spots for Quinn and Peterka on purpose. 

I wanted more urgency this past offseason but I doubt they were attracting any decent free agents anyway. They could have made trades or waiver claims though.

Adams and Granato seem intent on building this team up through the draft, which is fine. It’s what should have been done years ago.

They also seem intent on keeping the roster low budget for now. I think it might be partly for job security reasons. If you’re losing with a cheap roster it’s easier to explain to Pegula than if you’re losing with an expensive roster (like Botterill and Murray did).

I just want to see growth.

For the last 3 years I have said we are on target to make the playoffs in 2023-2024, next year.

We still have a shot at it THIS year, but not if we play the way we have.  That was my point.  

We have already seen lots of improvement but it needs to move to another level now.

Unfortunately, the team refuses to believe in goaltending and Comrie is already a bust.  They took a shot at a journeyman who they thought presented interest analytics and well, it didn't work.  

That is the ONE thing they could have done to push us over the edge, THIS YEAR...but the current administration loves to pound the "take it slowly and let it build" drum in a way that I find frustrating.

We could have spent a lot more on much better goaltending and we should have several key veteran FAs helping out.

It doesn't have to be all kids and below average goaltending.

• Agree 1

They have to get back in the win column against Vancouver tomorrow.

Gotta stop this losing streak at 5 games. 5 in a row is bad enough! Especially considering they have all been regulation losses. They haven’t even picked up any loser points, which is unusual during losing streaks. Most teams at least have some OT losses.

15 hours ago, Buffalo Super Fan said:

The Buffalo Sabres continue to lose at an alarming rate again. The Boston Bruins loss was terrible the Sabres can’t score and put teams away in my opinion. Go Sabres! Let’s Go Buffalo 

I wouldn’t say it was terrible. The Sabres played really well all game. I thought they even looked like the better team for a good portion of the game, and Boston is currently the best team in the entire NHL (by record).

But a loss is a loss. They needed to at least get the game to OT when it was tied with 7 minutes remaining in the 3rd period.

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Buffalo Super Fan said:

The Buffalo Sabres continue to lose at an alarming rate again. The Boston Bruins loss was terrible the Sabres can’t score and put teams away in my opinion. Go Sabres! Let’s Go Buffalo 

I thought the Bruins game was their best performance of the season.

It would be nice if they elected to play defense in front of Comrie sometime this season.

Edited by Jauronimo
  • Like (+1) 1

I just dont get what the expectations are.  I hear a lot of 'well we arent supposed to be good' talk still.

This is Adams' 3rd full season as GM.  Where are we?  A 76.5 point pace and 2nd last in the Division.  I guess that is a 1.5 point improvement over last season and the exact same as Botterill was doing 4 and 5 years ago so there is that.  They should probably race to give the GM and coach more extensions.  

They just allowed Eichel to drag his sack over their and our fanbases' faces the other night.

At some point they need to make actual gains in winning and the standings.   What is going to change next season to make them a playoff team if they are still stuck in the 70s-range in points (which is the bottom quartile of the league in a typical season with loser points)?

a lot of this is venting, but its also true.  

Edited by May Day 10
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, May Day 10 said:

I just dont get what the expectations are.  I hear a lot of 'well we arent supposed to be good' talk still.

This is Adams' 3rd full season as GM.  Where are we?  A 76.5 point pace and 2nd last in the Division.  I guess that is a 1.5 point improvement over last season and the exact same as Botterill was doing 4 and 5 years ago so there is that.  They should probably race to give the GM and coach more extensions.  

They just allowed Eichel to drag his sack over their and our fanbases' faces the other night.

At some point they need to make actual gains in winning and the standings.   What is going to change next season to make them a playoff team if they are still stuck in the 70s-range in points (which is the bottom quartile of the league in a typical season with loser points)?

a lot of this is venting, but its also true.  

I feel your frustration man. I feel the same way. They need to take a step forward this year. I have no patience left for losing Sabres hockey. They finish bottom 8 again this year and they will piss away any of the goodwill they’ve earned back from fans. I do think they’ve been playing better hockey but I’m kind of over moral victories…

When I say I don’t think playoffs are the goal I’m just being realistic. They did very little this offseason. 2 free agents, that’s it. A 4/5 defenseman and a backup goalie who they hoped could start. It just seems like it is still another development year.

I’m not happy about that, but it is what it is.

At the same time, I get it. If they’re ever going to turn into contenders it’ll be because the kids developed. So I get wanting to give guys like Quinn and Peterka spots in the lineup to start their NHL development.

To be fair - Adams is entering his 3rd season but his first season was with the old core (Eichel, Reinhart, Ullmark, Risto, etc). So this is only the start of year 2 of the (latest) rebuild (4.0). I’m trying to keep that in mind. And at least they have tons of cap space. When Murray and Botterill were losing, they had cap ceiling rosters. Adams is at the cap floor. Not saying that’s necessarily a good thing either… I don’t think Adams has been aggressive enough. He seems very intent on a draft + develop model and saving spots for kids that may be years away, which kind of frustrates me.

I still think stability was the right choice. I think Adams and Granato should get the chance to build their team. I believe the extensions were pretty modest. 3 years iirc. Adams was due for a new deal so you had to either sign him or move on. And Granato had a year left but Adams wanted granato’s contract to match his in length and Pegula obliged. I think they’re in this together now, for better or worse. At least for the next 2-3 years.

Im ok with that. I think the Sabres need stability. You can’t keep changing coaches and GMs every couple years.

I don’t expect playoffs this year but I want to see them at least stay in the wildcard race. I want to see them finish outside the bottom 10. I don’t see how you can sell another bottom 10 finish as progress.

Another area I really want to see a step forward in is an end to these long losing streaks. To take the next step forward that has to stop. They can’t keep going stretches with 3,4,5 losses like this.

They we’re actually doing ok at that in October. They didn’t lose more than 2 in a row. But now they’ve gone 5 games without even picking up a single loser point. You can’t do that. Good teams don’t do that.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

I don’t expect playoffs this year but I want to see them at least stay in the wildcard race. I want to see them finish outside the bottom 10. I don’t see how you can sell another bottom 10 finish as progress.

Another area I really want to see a step forward in is an end to these long losing streaks. To take the next step forward that has to stop. They can’t keep going stretches with 3,4,5 losses like this.

They we’re actually doing ok at that in October. They didn’t lose more than 2 in a row. But now they’ve gone 5 games without even picking up a single loser point. You can’t do that. Good teams don’t do that.

I think pretty much everyone (realistic) agrees.  I said mid-80s to 90s would be good progress (as long as it isnt the formula where they are out of it by Christmas and go on a tear in meaningless games in February and March vs backup goalies and no pressure.)

They are pacing toward 76 points again which is no-man's land.  Vegas books, who is good at this stuff had them between 77 and 78.5 (6th or 7th lowest in the league I think?).  Maybe that is just how good they are and all this 'wanting to play in buffalo' thing is marketing and window dressing.  That is not progress.  I don't understand how the goalie situation is the way it is while Adams has been here this long.  You have young players who you want to develop?  Give them something better than a 70 year old Craig Anderson and Comrie.

I am still hopeful they pick it up and stack some wins again.  4 of the next 5 are very winnable.  At least we aren't Ottawa who pushed chips in the middle and are at the bottom.  

I get the whole effort and try hard thing... but that Vegas game was tough.  The Sabres lost numerous effort-battles that resulted in goals, when they had reason to be inspired and had a decent crowd behind them.

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, May Day 10 said:

I don't understand how the goalie situation is the way it is while Adams has been here this long.  You have young players who you want to develop?  Give them something better than a 70 year old Craig Anderson and Comrie.

I am still hopeful they pick it up and stack some wins again.

I think they're a young team that will get better as the season progresses and probably take a measurable step forward by the time it's all said and done.

I know squat about developing 'tenders but it wouldn't break my heart to see some young prospects in the net some point.

They're not making any playoff runs this year so squeeze out as many development opportunities as you can without sabotaging the kids' efforts.

On 11/11/2022 at 10:47 AM, BillsFan4 said:

The Pegulas and others in the organization were hurt by Eichel’s trade demands so soon after his extension kicked in and he had reassured them that he wanted to be here. Deciding to air his surgery disgruntlement and then blatantly lying about it is another indicator of what a giant masshole he really is. 

1 minute ago, BillsFan4 said:

6th loss in a row in regulation. Not a single point in 6 straight games.

totally unacceptable.

I am very quickly losing interest in the Sabres again. I have no patience left for the losing.

The Sabres were so bad in their own end again tonight.  Tonight wasn't a breakaway fest but they give up so many high quality chances from prime scoring areas.  Three guys watching the puck in front of their own net, no one has a man.  

I give them some credit for battling back all night but you can't play from behind every night and hope to win 6-5.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, BillsFan4 said:

6th loss in a row in regulation. Not a single point in 6 straight games.

totally unacceptable.

I am very quickly losing interest in the Sabres again. I have no patience left for the losing.

I'm with you... I didn't watch but had the live box score on in another window. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.