Buffalo Sabres and NHL 2022-2023

SDS

7 minutes ago, eball said:

What the hell happened last night?  Glad I didn't stay up for that...

Seattle played fast and murdered us in the counter attack all night.  They were buzzing all night, pressuring our D and got a lot of point blank chances and odd man rushes.  They were first to every puck, crisp passes.  You would have never guessed they were the winless scrubs entering that game.

Power got victimized a few times on bad pinches and got caught flat footed at the blue line giving up a breakaway.

Buffalo had a tough night offensively.  Passing lanes were clogged, Tage, Skinner, and Tuch were forcing it all night.  Buffalo's only goal (thanks to Mitts being a lazy bastard) was fluky but it came during the only stretch where they managed sustained pressure.

The Power Play is a mess.  0 for 4 last night. Skinner needs to go to second unit or no unit.  He forces garbage to the middle and turns the pack over too frequently but he was hardly alone last night.  

Comrie played really well in my opinion.  He was hung out to dry all night.  He turned away a breakaway and a number of point blank scoring chances.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Seattle played fast and murdered us in the counter attack all night.  They were buzzing all night, pressuring our D and got a lot of point blank chances and odd man rushes.  They were first to every puck, crisp passes.  You would have never guessed they were the winless scrubs entering that game.

Power got victimized a few times on bad pinches and got caught flat footed at the blue line giving up a breakaway.

Buffalo had a tough night offensively.  Passing lanes were clogged, Tage, Skinner, and Tuch were forcing it all night.  Buffalo's only goal (thanks to Mitts being a lazy bastard) was fluky but it came during the only stretch where they managed sustained pressure.

The Power Play is a mess.  0 for 4 last night. Skinner needs to go to second unit or no unit.  He forces garbage to the middle and turns the pack over too frequently but he was hardly alone last night.  

Comrie played really well in my opinion.  He was hung out to dry all night.  He turned away a breakaway and a number of point blank scoring chances.

yeah that was ugly. Probably their worst game of the year. Buffalo looked sloppy and totally out of sync all night. Bad passes, bobbled pucks, guys out of position all night, countless odd man breaks. Very little went right for them. Skinner and Thompson both struggled, again. But the whole team did. We haven’t seen much from those 2 yr this season, though. We need both to get going.

The Sabres just seem to struggle against Seattle. I think it’s the style of hockey they play. Seattle is not the most well structured team but they play hard and are constantly pressuring the puck. The Sabres seem to struggle against teams that play like that. They just couldn’t seem to get to their game last night.

and yeah that goal that was called back because Mittelstadt decided to lazily coast to the bench as his teammates were entering the o zone just pissed me off. I wanted Granato to staple his ass to the bench after that but he was right back out there the next shift. I can live with mistakes, but not such a lack of effort. No excuse for that. Mitts has to be way more aware than that. At least get your butt over the damn blue line.

8 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

yeah that was ugly. Probably their worst game of the year. Buffalo looked sloppy and totally out of sync all night. Bad passes, bobbled pucks, guys out of position all night, countless odd man breaks. Very little went right for them. Skinner and Thompson both struggled, again. But the whole team did. We haven’t seen much from those 2 yr this season, though. We need both to get going.

The Sabres just seem to struggle against Seattle. I think it’s the style of hockey they play. Seattle is not the most well structured team but they play hard and are constantly pressuring the puck. The Sabres seem to struggle against teams that play like that. They just couldn’t seem to get to their game last night.

and yeah that goal that was called back because Mittelstadt decided to lazily coast to the bench as his teammates were entering the o zone just pissed me off. I wanted Granato to staple his ass to the bench after that but he was right back out there the next shift. I can live with mistakes, but not such a lack of effort. No excuse for that. Mitts has to be way more aware than that. At least get your butt over the damn blue line.

I couldn't believe he went back out.  Especially since he was so clearly out of gas that he couldn't muster one real stride to clear the zone.  Mitts is supposed to be a smart player.  How did he not see the play coming into the zone and realize he needed to clear? 

His lazy BS robbed Quinn of a goal after Jack earned his way back into the lineup and had a decent game on 4th line.  That could have been a nice confidence boost after the kid was a healthy scratch.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

I am having trouble getting a stream for these games…I thought I used to… 

currentky have Hulu with the ESPN+ bundle. I suppose MSG only streams elsewhere? 

Any suggestions appreciated 

I have watched every game on ESPN+ without issue.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Terrible loss in a early home division game against the rebuilding Montreal Canadians the Buffalo Sabres can’t keep taking steps back if they want to make the NHL playoffs this season. No excuse today the Buffalo Sabres backed off as usual in the second period when are these bums ever going to learn. You bums lost to a lowly Montreal Canadians. Eric Comrie can’t give up a 3rd period goal after the Sabres just tied the game that was garbage from him tonight no excuses there old and tired win the hockey games at home you bums in my opinion. Go Sabres! Let’s Go Buffalo

I’ll give them a pass for yesterday. They didn’t get home from the west coast till late Wednesday night then had to play again Thursday evening. It’s pretty common for teams to struggle after a road trip like that. But they have to get back in the win column next game. They can’t have 3 losses in a row. Chicago is a very beatable team. No excuses.

Im hoping for 2 wins in a row here. Chicago, Detroit.

Detroit made a lot more additions this offseason than Buffalo did but I still feel like it’s a game Buffalo should win.

and I will say, even though the Sabres only made 2 additions this offseason they both look pretty good. Comrie and Lybushkin have both been playing pretty good hockey. I still don’t think it was enough, but it is what it is at this point.

what we really need is for Tage Thompson to get going. Skinner too. That whole line needs to get their $#&* together. We need growth from all our young players if they want any chance at staying in the playoff race. That’s what they banked on - the young guys taking a step. I’d say so far only Dahlin has. Maybe Cozens. 

1 hour ago, BillsFan4 said:

I’ll give them a pass for yesterday. They didn’t get home from the west coast till late Wednesday night then had to play again Thursday evening. It’s pretty common for teams to struggle after a road trip like that. But they have to get back in the win column next game. They can’t have 3 losses in a row. Chicago is a very beatable team. No excuses.

Im hoping for 2 wins in a row here. Chicago, Detroit.

Detroit made a lot more additions this offseason than Buffalo did but I still feel like it’s a game Buffalo should win.

and I will say, even though the Sabres only made 2 additions this offseason they both look pretty good. Comrie and Lybushkin have both been playing pretty good hockey. I still don’t think it was enough, but it is what it is at this point.

what we really need is for Tage Thompson to get going. Skinner too. That whole line needs to get their $#&* together. We need growth from all our young players if they want any chance at staying in the playoff race. That’s what they banked on - the young guys taking a step. I’d say so far only Dahlin has. Maybe Cozens. 

I think Cozens has taken a step forward and I love what Peterka brings to the lineup.  First line has been disappointing.

40 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

I think Cozens has taken a step forward and I love what Peterka brings to the lineup.  First line has been disappointing.

Yeah Peterka has been a pleasant surprise. I thought it might take him some time to find his game after a mediocre preseason but he’s been playing good hockey. It’s  weird, Quinn had a pretty good preseason and he’s struggled to start the regular season. Peterka struggled in the preseason but has started the regular season much better than Quinn. 🤷‍♂️

I’m trying not to get nervous about Thompson yet. We need him to be the player he was last season. I’ve seen flashes of that but nothing consistent yet. I just hope last year wasn’t a 1-off…

2 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Yeah Peterka has been a pleasant surprise. I thought it might take him some time to find his game after a mediocre preseason but he’s been playing good hockey. It’s  weird, Quinn had a pretty good preseason and he’s struggled to start the regular season. Peterka struggled in the preseason but has started the regular season much better than Quinn. 🤷‍♂️

I’m trying not to get nervous about Thompson yet. We need him to be the player he was last season. I’ve seen flashes of that but nothing consistent yet. I just hope last year wasn’t a 1-off…

That line is not in sync and PP1 is a mess which is hurting Tage's production big time.  I think Tuch is playing his part and skating well.  Skinner and Tage had great chemistry last year with Skinner assisting on many of Tage's goals but this year I don't see them connecting often partly in due to forced passes through the middle of the O zone.  I have seen obvious signs of frustration from Tage particularly against Seattle.  He may be forcing it out there under the pressure of the big contract and last year's breakout season. 

The power play has been unable to set up Oloffson or Tage for the big one timers.  The few attempts Tage has had, the goaltender was on time and ready for the shot.  

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.