Buffalo Sabres and NHL 2022-2023

SDS

Sabres played well last night. Calgary was undefeated entering that game.

Comrie looks legit so far. I was hoping for him to simply just be league average. That would be a big step up for Buffalo. But so far he’s been even better than that. Really hope it continues!

Sounds like he works his ass off.

https://theathletic.com/3708192/2022/10/19/sabres-oilers-eric-comrie/

That mentality is why the Sabres and coaches have fawned over Comrie since he arrived in Buffalo. Granato got calls from Comrie’s old coaches and teammates talking about the tenacity with which Comrie trains. He’s consistently one of the first ones on the ice and almost always the last player to leave it during the practice week.

“He’s probably the hardest worker I’ve ever seen,” goalie coach Mike Bales said. “He’s non-stop. They could probably use him in the energizer bunny commercials. He has a real high capacity for work. The league is full of genetic freaks and that’s the one advantage he has on a lot of guys is his ability to work at such a high load. His game doesn’t break down in practice until he’s at the very edge of his workload, which is impressive to see.”

That’s why he’s won over teammates with ease. Any player that wants to get extra shots at practice knows he’s going to have a goalie to shoot on. Alex Tuch said he’s never seen a goalie work the way Comrie does, and it’s consistent every day. Comrie spent a lot of time in the AHL and as a backup waiting for an opportunity like the one he has in Buffalo. He’s embraced it fully and isn’t going to let it pass by without working tirelessly to stay where he is.

“He’s very confident in who he is and how he plays,” Bales said. “That comes with time for some guys. He’s at that age, late 20s where you see a lot of goalies all of a sudden put all the pieces together. He’s obviously been around the league a lot, he just hasn’t played a ton of games. He has all the experience and information he needs. It’s just a matter of getting the opportunity to go out there and show what he can do.”

He’s going to be successful for us,” Granato said. “He has too many ingredients that point to success to be denied. From us as an organization and as a coach, when that’s the case, much like Tage Thompson last year, you have to back them and support them. They have to know you back them. He knows that. He knows we are happy he’s in our organization and we believe in his ability, so much that we know he’s on the cusp of being way better than he’s ever been as an NHL player based on his experience and work ethic combined.”

i thought this was interesting.⬇️

Back in the preseason, Comrie asked the coaches to play on the road, where he knew he would see tougher lineups and be playing with a less experienced Sabres lineup. He wanted to see as many shots as possible

I questioned that strategy at the time. I wasn’t sure what the Sabres were thinking. I was worried they were hurting his confidence. Comrie only played on the road when the Sabres were icing AHL/juniors lineups, against the other teams NHL lineups. He predictably got lit up. Interesting to read that Comrie requested to play those nights.

i guess Granato had the same concern.

Granato’s only concern was that he didn’t want those games to shake Comrie mentally. He checked in with Comrie to make sure he knew how the Sabres felt about him. At the end of training camp, Granato was emphatic about what the Sabres had in net.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Peterka and Cozens with [non-entity] continues to be a great combination.  

I think Mitts took offense to my "too damn slow" comments because he showed some real speed on the shorty.

Tuch and Tage have it going.  I am surprised Skinner is not getting on the score sheet.  Last year, Skinner and Tage had the big chemistry and Tuch was the workhorse on that line.  

I am ready to publicly declare that I like Hinostroza in the lineup and I don't care who knows it.  Whether hes playing with the 4th liners or paired with Cozens he brings speed that makes a difference in any role hes asked to play.  We have a few guys with playmaking and finishing talent like Quinn, Mitts, Oloffson but that isn't worth much when they lack the physicality to get the puck up ice and maintain possession.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Peterka and Cozens with [non-entity] continues to be a great combination.  

I think Mitts took offense to my "too damn slow" comments because he showed some real speed on the shorty.

Tuch and Tage have it going.  I am surprised Skinner is not getting on the score sheet.  Last year, Skinner and Tage had the big chemistry and Tuch was the workhorse on that line.  

I am ready to publicly declare that I like Hinostroza in the lineup and I don't care who knows it.  Whether hes playing with the 4th liners or paired with Cozens he brings speed that makes a difference in any role hes asked to play.  We have a few guys with playmaking and finishing talent like Quinn, Mitts, Oloffson but that isn't worth much when they lack the physicality to get the puck up ice and maintain possession.

Peterka is a star waiting to happen. He just has serious playmaking ability. I'm a little concerned with Quinn but his line mates also could be a part of it. I've stated before I wish we left him with JJ as they were a great pair in Rochester. 

Edited by The Jokeman

39 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

Peterka is a star waiting to happen. He just has serious playmaking ability. I'm a little concerned with Quinn but his line mates also could be a part of it. I've stated before I wish we left him with JJ as they were a great pair in Rochester. 

Quinn concerns me too.  He was nearly invisible in the AHL playoffs last year when going up against grown men.  I think he might have been battling injuries but he struggled to find time and space and was too easily taken off the puck.  I have not noticed him much so far and hes already a healthy scratch 2 games into the season.

Sabres defenseman Rasmus Dahlin became the first defenseman in NHL history to score a goal in the first four games of a regular season.

Sabres PR
@SabresPR

With his goal tonight, Rasmus Dahlin now owns the longest season-opening goal streak by a defenseman in NHL history (four games).
9:59 PM · Oct 20, 2022

Sabres PR
@SabresPR
·
15h
Replying to 
@SabresPR
Dahlin is also the second defenseman in Sabres history, and the first since Phil Housley (Nov. 22 to 30, 1988), to record a four-game goal streak.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Jauronimo said:

Quinn concerns me too.  He was nearly invisible in the AHL playoffs last year when going up against grown men.  I think he might have been battling injuries but he struggled to find time and space and was too easily taken off the puck.  I have not noticed him much so far and hes already a healthy scratch 2 games into the season.

We have to remember that he's still just two years removed from his draft year.  Normally he would just be making the jump to pro hockey right now.  Peterka's fast start this year is going to cloud our vision, but he still has plenty of time to find his place with this team.

• Like (+1) 1

On 10/21/2022 at 8:16 AM, PromoTheRobot said:

That's a harsh assessment of the Sabres jersey. Wait till we see the whole thing with socks and pants.

The Athletic ranked all of the jerseys as well and Buffalo’s was top 5 I think. 

What a west coast road trip!

Dahlin now five in a row and counting…

13 hours ago, Draconator said:

5 to 1 victory over Vancouver. This team for the majority of the game DOMINATED Vancouver. This isn't the Sabres from 2 or 3 years ago. This is a solid, quality, good team. 

reading this makes me very happy. I'm going to look into options available to watch them play here. I will start by reading this thread and go from there. I prefer live hockey to TV broadcasts. But if they are turning around I'd like to watch at least a few games if possible here on my coast

my last in person hockey game was a billsbackers sponsored bus trip to watch them play the LA Kings years ago.

Edited by muppy

2 hours ago, muppy said:

reading this makes me very happy. I'm going to look into options available to watch them play here. I will start by reading this thread and go from there. I prefer live hockey to TV broadcasts. But if they are turning around I'd like to watch at least a few games if possible here on my coast

my last in person hockey game was a billsbackers sponsored bus trip to watch them play the LA Kings years ago.

Verizon will give you the Disney bundle included if you choose a certain package.

3 hours ago, Doc said:

Yeah, but they've started well the past 3 years also.  Gotta keep it up.

I agree they need to sustain it. But I wouldn’t necessarily say they started well the last 3 years.

Last year they started out with 3 wins and things went downhill pretty quick.

They only had 2 more wins in their next 9 games after that.

The year before they had 1 win in their first 5 games.

In 2019 they definitely started out hot. They had 8 wins in their first 10 games then fell off a cliff. But it was a lot of fluky wins and their underlying stats were still pretty bad. You could kind of tell it wasn’t sustainable, though I don’t think anyone expected things to get as bad as they did.

I’m cautiously optimistic this time is different. Im hoping this is more like a continuation of the good play to end last season. Their underlying stats look pretty good too, outside of maybe shots allowed.

I was skeptical they did enough in the offseason (they have the youngest and cheapest roster in the NHL). But I’m starting to become a believer of this new young core.

All I know for sure is that I’m actually excited to watch Sabres hockey again.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

On 10/23/2022 at 12:51 AM, Draconator said:

5 to 1 victory over Vancouver. This team for the majority of the game DOMINATED Vancouver. This isn't the Sabres from 2 or 3 years ago. This is a solid, quality, good team. 

I can't imagine there are many things during the regular season that are more pleasing to the fans than hearing that reaction while on the road.  I hope the Canucks were able to sneak out of a secret underground entrance to that arena.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.