Buffalo Sabres and NHL 2022-2023

SDS

20 hours ago, Buffalo Super Fan said:

Opening day each season we have hope for the new season this case the Buffalo Sabres. But I don’t personally see this Buffalo Sabres team being all that successful in 2022-23 with our goaltending situation as it is currently. I don’t see Eric Comrie even a NHL back up goalie I would want. I have seen nothing to believe Eric Comrie is a NHL level goalie maybe WHA level goalie sure a third or a fourth goalie filler for depth in the Sabres organization. Craig Anderson is at best could be a number one if he was younger and could stay healthy. I don’t see the Buffalo Sabres as a playoff team unfortunately until they fix the goaltending situation. Devon Levi is the Buffalo Sabres future. Unless there is some kind of huge trade for a goalie or Devon Levi is signed hope is all we got as Sabres fans but I wouldn’t count on it.

Plus I have had and still currently have serious doubts Don Granato is winning big here with the Sabres with no goaltending. I have always seen Don Granato as a AHL level coach that had no back bone to stand up to that idiot Ralph Krueger the head coach with the crap he was pulling benching Jeff Skinner and GM Kevyn Adams didn’t have much of a back bone either standing up to that idiot so there both yes men. So Don Granato and Kevyn Adams were both yes man for a idiot that isn’t Stanley Cup timber head coach or general manager. I would have fired everyone in the Ralph Krueger front office and coaches including that idiot goalie coach Mike Bales that hasn’t developed UPL well at all he still can’t beat out a 41 year old man shocking in my opinion. Go Sabres! Let’s Go Buffalo 

Your moniker and your outlook seem to be at odds with one another.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

14 hours ago, T&C said:

Not going well so far but it's the last who gaf game.

Yeah that was ugly.

I know it was the penguins full veteran NHL lineup vs a Buffalo lineup that featured more of our young guys + a few AHL players so it’s mostly a throw away game.

But we did still have NHL players in the game that will be in Buffalo this season.

Like lybushkin, who didn’t look very good. I haven’t been overly impressed with him this preseason. He looks like a #6/7 type defenseman to me.

And Bryson was meh too. He looked like the same player as last season. He can be exciting to watch in the o zone and transitioning but leaves a lot to be desired in the d zone.

Fitzgerald looks like an AHL defenseman to me but it looks like they plan to keep him in the NHL for now.

Cozens and Tuch looked good. I’ve been really impressed by the growth Cozens has shown going back to world juniors and all through preseason.

Quinn really created some exciting chances last night. He really has a gift for that. He has such a good sense of where to be around the net to create scoring chances. I’ve been pretty happy with the preseason he’s had. There will be growing pains but I think he can be a positive contributor this season.

He got manhandled a bit, though. After watching him in the AHL playoffs this past season I was left wondering if he was physically mature enough to handle a full NHL season and seeing him last night I had the same thought again. But I think he did enough to stay in Buffalo and I think he’s probably better served in the NHL for his development anyway. It’s tough to put on muscle during a season regardless if he’s in the AHL or NHL so I don’t know that I see much benefit to him being in the minors again.

Peterka was only ok throughout the preseason. He definitely struggled to play his game. But I think he will start the year in Buffalo too. He struggled to start the year in the AHL last year but adjusted pretty quickly and once he found his game he was a beast. I’m hoping for similar this year in Buffalo.

I think the thing that worries me most from the preseason is goaltending.

Comrie hasn’t looked great in his 2 starts this preseason. But he also started 2 games behind pretty weak lineups, especially on defense. It’s like they threw him in net behind the 2 worst lineups they iced in the preseason. Not quite sure I understand that strategy by the front office/coaching staff. 🤷‍♂️ Unless they wanted to see how he handled a bunch of high danger shots? If so, he didn’t fare so well.

I’m not feeling super confident about goaltending at the moment. I was impressed with UPL this preseason. He had the best preseason of any of our goalies. But it looks like he will be in Rochester to start the year. Hopefully he gets some games in Buffalo though, especially if Comrie struggles. 
This can’t be another throw away season because they get bottom of the league goaltending again. Last year Tokarski was 45th (out of 50) in save percentage and 50th in GAA. Anderson was 49th out of 50in save % and 43rd in goals against average.

• Like (+1) 2

On 10/7/2022 at 12:36 PM, ChevyVanMiller said:

RIP, Dave Dryden.

Dave Dryden.jpg

I once owned a set of those cement sacks.

RIP Dave.

5 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

Yeah that was ugly.

I know it was the penguins full veteran NHL lineup vs a Buffalo lineup that featured more of our young guys + a few AHL players so it’s mostly a throw away game.

But we did still have NHL players in the game that will be in Buffalo this season.

Like lybushkin, who didn’t look very good. I haven’t been overly impressed with him this preseason. He looks like a #6/7 type defenseman to me.

And Bryson was meh too. He looked like the same player as last season. He can be exciting to watch in the o zone and transitioning but leaves a lot to be desired in the d zone.

Fitzgerald looks like an AHL defenseman to me but it looks like they plan to keep him in the NHL for now.

Cozens and Tuch looked good. I’ve been really impressed by the growth Cozens has shown going back to world juniors and all through preseason.

Quinn really created some exciting chances last night. He really has a gift for that. He has such a good sense of where to be around the net to create scoring chances. I’ve been pretty happy with the preseason he’s had. There will be growing pains but I think he can be a positive contributor this season.

He got manhandled a bit, though. After watching him in the AHL playoffs this past season I was left wondering if he was physically mature enough to handle a full NHL season and seeing him last night I had the same thought again. But I think he did enough to stay in Buffalo and I think he’s probably better served in the NHL for his development anyway. It’s tough to put on muscle during a season regardless if he’s in the AHL or NHL so I don’t know that I see much benefit to him being in the minors again.

Peterka was only ok throughout the preseason. He definitely struggled to play his game. But I think he will start the year in Buffalo too. He struggled to start the year in the AHL last year but adjusted pretty quickly and once he found his game he was a beast. I’m hoping for similar this year in Buffalo.

I think the thing that worries me most from the preseason is goaltending.

Comrie hasn’t looked great in his 2 starts this preseason. But he also started 2 games behind pretty weak lineups, especially on defense. It’s like they threw him in net behind the 2 worst lineups they iced in the preseason. Not quite sure I understand that strategy by the front office/coaching staff. 🤷‍♂️ Unless they wanted to see how he handled a bunch of high danger shots? If so, he didn’t fare so well.

I’m not feeling super confident about goaltending at the moment. I was impressed with UPL this preseason. He had the best preseason of any of our goalies. But it looks like he will be in Rochester to start the year. Hopefully he gets some games in Buffalo though, especially if Comrie struggles. 
This can’t be another throw away season because they get bottom of the league goaltending again. Last year Tokarski was 45th (out of 50) in save percentage and 50th in GAA. Anderson was 49th out of 50in save % and 43rd in goals against average.

I think there's an unspoken rule in NHL preseason games where the road team always plays scrubs so the home crowd will see an azzkicking and won't mind paying for a meaningless game.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I think there's an unspoken rule in NHL preseason games where the road team always plays scrubs so the home crowd will see an azzkicking and won't mind paying for a meaningless game.

Yeah it sure seems that way! 

10 minutes ago, BillsPride12 said:

I'm good with this place but would have liked to seen an additional A go to Alex Tuch 

I could see him getting one in time, or if Girgensons/Dahlin/Okposo miss any time.

I just don’t think he’s been here long enough yet. But I do see him being an assistant captain in the future.

• Agree 1

20 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Yeah it sure seems that way! 

I could see him getting one in time, or if Girgensons/Dahlin/Okposo miss any time.

I just don’t think he’s been here long enough yet. But I do see him being an assistant captain in the future.

Just edited my original post, not sure why I added the word "place" in there 

• Haha (+1) 1

On 10/7/2022 at 11:49 AM, ChevyVanMiller said:

Your moniker and your outlook seem to be at odds with one another.

No it doesn’t just because I am Buffalo Super Fan doesn’t mean I don’t tell it like it is. I don’t live in alternate fan reality. My moniker Buffalo Super Fan is because I am a sports fan of everything Western New York Buffalo Sabres, Bisons, Bills, Bandits, UB Bulls, Bonnies, Griffs etc that is why the Buffalo Super Fan moniker. So I am not Miami Dolphins type of fan we are winning the Super Bowl because we beat a injured Buffalo Bills team in Week 3. That is a example of alternate fan reality now that stupid fan base is back in the gutter of the AFC East. So you won’t see BSF woulda, coulda, shoulda. I also admit when I am wrong. I was wrong about UB Bulls football this season and I am thrilled. I hope I wrong about the 2022-23 Buffalo Sabres. I don’t want Buffalo teams to lose nor do I take joy posting what went wrong in games or the teams potential season outlook. I just want Buffalo teams to win but I won’t make excuses for losing that is nonsense what has gone on for 11 plus years now in my opinion. Go Sabres! Let’s Go Buffalo 

16 hours ago, Buffalo Super Fan said:

No it doesn’t just because I am Buffalo Super Fan doesn’t mean I don’t tell it like it is. I don’t live in alternate fan reality. My moniker Buffalo Super Fan is because I am a sports fan of everything Western New York Buffalo Sabres, Bisons, Bills, Bandits, UB Bulls, Bonnies, Griffs etc that is why the Buffalo Super Fan moniker. So I am not Miami Dolphins type of fan we are winning the Super Bowl because we beat a injured Buffalo Bills team in Week 3. That is a example of alternate fan reality now that stupid fan base is back in the gutter of the AFC East. So you won’t see BSF woulda, coulda, shoulda. I also admit when I am wrong. I was wrong about UB Bulls football this season and I am thrilled. I hope I wrong about the 2022-23 Buffalo Sabres. I don’t want Buffalo teams to lose nor do I take joy posting what went wrong in games or the teams potential season outlook. I just want Buffalo teams to win but I won’t make excuses for losing that is nonsense what has gone on for 11 plus years now in my opinion. Go Sabres! Let’s Go Buffalo 

Here’s hoping you can also become “Return key Super paragraph fan” someday.

Just hit it.

Look what happens.

It’s like magic.

• Haha (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Draconator said:

I said it a while ago; Adams and Granato are the Beane and McDermott of the Sabres. Despite hockey and football being totally different, the Sabres are using the Bills template for success: establish the culture, find players with the right mindset, then put them in the best position to win.

#GranAdams

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 2

56 minutes ago, Draconator said:

Adams been busy today

Wow. Very surprised to read this news.

I like him a lot, but he’s only played 54 total NHL games. Giving him $4.3M x 7 seems a bit premature, but hopefully it ends up being a steal over the life of the deal. I’m optimistic it will.

Edited by BillsFan4

5 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I said it a while ago; Adams and Granato are the Beane and McDermott of the Sabres. Despite hockey and football being totally different, the Sabres are using the Bills template for success: establish the culture, find players with the right mindset, then put them in the best position to win.

#GranAdams

Let's hope.  They just need their Josh Allen.  Will it be Levi?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.