Buffalo Sabres and NHL 2022-2023

SDS

hopefully last year wasn’t a fluke and he’s able to live up to this contract.

This is definitely a gamble but if Thompson continues to play like last season this contract could look pretty good in a couple years, especially if the cap rises significantly after 2023 as Bill Daly mentioned. If he struggled and/or reverts back to what he was before last season, this contract could become quite the albatross.

2 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

hopefully last year wasn’t a fluke and he’s able to live up to this contract.

This is definitely a gamble but if Thompson continues to play like last season this contract could look pretty good in a couple years, especially if the cap rises significantly after 2023 as Bill Daly mentioned. If he struggled and/or reverts back to what he was before last season, this contract could become quite the albatross.

A lot of people who didn't watch a minute of Sabres hockey last year filling Twitter with doom takes. :lol:  This is no gamble. Granato unleashed the beast. Expect Casey Mittelstadt to have a big season if he avoids injury.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

A lot of people who didn't watch a minute of Sabres hockey last year filling Twitter with doom takes. :lol:  This is no gamble. Granato unleashed the beast. Expect Casey Mittelstadt to have a big season if he avoids injury.

I’m ok with the signing but it is hard not to view it as a gamble when he only has 1 season of production. 

14 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

I’m ok with the signing but it is hard not to view it as a gamble when he only has 1 season of production. 

You know your guys.

You watched what they did. It's not like he scored 38 fluke goals.

Granato goes back with Tage to when he was a pup.

It's a real crime when coaching wastes talent (looking at you, Ralph Krueger.)

• Like (+1) 1

Tage Thompson I don’t like the length of the contract 5 years is too risky for a one year break out player for the Buffalo Sabres. Plus it locks a Sabres roster spot for five years on a organization with a lot of prospects that might potentially be better than Tage Thompson? Now he is

harder to trade with that money and contract length. Plus the $50 million dollars is better used at PSE fully privately renovating Key Bank Center. Not one dime of public money when you are spending crazy on Tage Thompson the NHL television money doesn’t match this guarantee contract. NHL isn’t the NFL.

I also don’t believe Tage Thompson wants to be here long term that is what Jack Eichel, Tyler Myers, Ryan Miller, Thomas Vanek they all say it when they are young, naive with no money and they want the guarantee money then the power shifts from

hockey team to player. Three years from now if the Sabres continue to suck which is a possibility “Howard Hughes like” Terry Pegula isn’t a winning owner he can’t even win Buffalo Bandits a NLL championship. Tage Thompson will be singing a different tune. What is sad is some goofy Buffalo fans will say let’s give Tage Thompson a chance to win a Stanley Cup some where else. Let’s give him away for hockey tape and be happy tanking year 20 fools. What the heck is that? We are a NHL franchise these bums need to win in Buffalo. I would do none of these bums favors you signed the contract honor it you bum.

UPL I like the contract no real risk he is likely a backup goalie in the NHL to Devon Levi. If the Buffalo Sabres can’t sign Devon Levi PSE should sell the Buffalo Sabres. Because there is no excuse for that. 

The Buffalo Sabres bringing black and red jersey back. Better late than never the Buffalo Sabres really missed the boat on there 50th anniversary these jerseys should have been brought back than. They should be our permanent third jersey we went to a Stanley Cup in these colors. Also save me old Buffalo Sabres fans blue and gold only the Sabres only went to one Stanley Cup in them too. I am old too at 54 years old. I am good with both jersey colors blue and gold for main home, away jerseys and black and red for third alternate jersey seems good to me in my opinion. Go Sabres! Let’s Go Buffalo 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Draconator said:

He held out all this time to sign a contract for $837k a year? 😂

wonder if it’s at least a 1 way contract so he gets that salary even if he’s in the AHL? Nice that he’s still RFA at the end of this deal.

16 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

You know your guys.

You watched what they did. It's not like he scored 38 fluke goals.

Granato goes back with Tage to when he was a pup.

It's a real crime when coaching wastes talent (looking at you, Ralph Krueger.)

His shooting percentage was something like 15% but despite that I do think it’s repeatable. Like you said, it’s not like he scored fluky goals. He has an absolute rocket of a shot and will be sniping goals his entire career.

Yes, I know Granato has known him for a long time. I’m sure they feel like that makes this contract much less of a gamble.

Like I said, I’m ok with the deal. But I just wish we had more than 1 season of production to base it on before giving him $50M, with NHL contracts being fully guaranteed.

Im trusting Kevyn Adams though. He’s been very, very careful with how he hands out the Pegula’s money. So I’m assuming he feels this is a pretty safe bet. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.