Buffalo Sabres and NHL 2022-2023

SDS

I’ve been advocating for Buffalo to acquire a starting goaltender all offseason but There really isn’t much left on the goalie market that I’m seeing. As things sit now, UPL looks like our best chance at getting league average goaltending (or better) next season.

Matt Murray - refused trade to Buffalo.

Husso - signed by Detroit

Kuemper - rumored to be going to Washington. Plus he reportedly wants 6yrs

Campbell - everyone is reporting that he’s signing in Edmonton.

Gibson - rumor that he also turned down a trade to Buffalo. Has 5yrs left on his contract.

Talbot - Bill Guerin doesn’t seem interested in trading him. The wild want him and fleury splitting games 50/50. Fleury also wants this. He said at his age it’s what is best.

Vanacek - traded to NJ

DeSmith - re-signed by PIT

Georgiev - traded to colorado + signed to a 3yr deal

Mrazek - traded to CHI (plus he sucks!)

Fleury - re-signed by Minn.

Brayden Holtby - reported that his career is over due to the injury he sustained that kept him out last season.

Jake Allen - Buffalo has rumored interest but montreal reportedly doesn’t want to trade him due to the uncertainty surrounding Carey Price.

Who’s even left? Maybe Thomas Greiss? Eric Comrie? Neither seem like very inspiring options.

Trade for Jonathan Quick? I’d be good with that.

maybe trade for Reiner or Hill? Again, not great options.

I just see zero reason to move on from UPL this season. As of now he’s the best goalie on the Sabres roster. They only have Anderson and UPL under contract and that includes in Rochester too.

And UPL has looked pretty darn good every time he’s played NHL games so far. He’s also looked very good for stretched in Rochester. Probably his biggest issue has been staying healthy.

And again, it’s normal for goalies to take 5-6yrs to develop. Plenty of NHL goalies didn’t break out in the NHL until they were 25+. Will UPL? Who knows. But he’s actually still somewhat young by NHL goalie standards (23) and he was still a highly touted prospect as recently as a season or two ago. It’s not like he’s been terrible or hasn’t shown development.

Levi and Portillo aren’t even signed yet and UPL isn’t blocking them even if they were. The chances of either Portillo or Levi stepping into the AHL next season and instantly being a full time starter are pretty slim. Chances are they’ll need to be eased into pro hockey (like pretty much every goalie we’ve ever drafted) and will start out as backups in the AHL. Or if both Levi + Portillo sign next year maybe they split the net in Rochester. Or one starts for their ECHL team in Cincinnati.

Im guessing UPL is at least a full time backup in Buffalo by the end of this season though. If he’s not starting or splitting the net with someone Buffalo signs.

15 minutes ago, Doc said:

I wouldn’t get Kuemper  if it means giving him a 6-year deal. The focus should be getting Levi to sign next year (I think Portillo is gone) and removing anything they might make him think twice about doing that. 

That right there is the part that makes it tricky.  I agree with what you’re saying about Kuemper and the same would go for other possible options like Talbot, but……the 21-22 played so well as a team for the last third of a season that they deserve an opportunity to continue that into 22-23.  If that isn’t given to them I fear the momentum could get lost like it has so many times before.  Ukka Pukka Sambuca as the answer isn’t really fair to the rest of the room.

15 minutes ago, Doc said:

I wouldn’t get Kuemper  if it means giving him a 6-year deal. The focus should be getting Levi to sign next year (I think Portillo is gone) and removing anything they might make him think twice about doing that. 

If Levi is put out by a mid range goalie who will be in his mid 30s by the time Levi is ready to play then we may as well just roll with 6 skaters until hes ready to grace us with his presence.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Doc said:

If he’s scared off by someone like UPL being on the roster, he doesn’t have the confidence to be an NHL goalie. I highly doubt he would be deterred by whoever Buffalo has in net. He seems like a very confident kid.

Reality is, he’s likely at least 3+ years away from playing games in Buffalo.

Another year in college. Then most likely a year in Rochester as a backup. Then a year in roch as a starter. Then maybe Buffalo.

Maybe Adams tried to rush him to the NHL (going against everything he’s continually said about refusing to rush prospects) and has him start in Rochester full time right away but I’d be surprised if he was ready to make the jump to the NHL after only 1 season in Rochester.

Our best bet for the next few years is either UPL or a trade/free agent (though I’m not sure which FA at this point).

12 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

That right there is the part that makes it tricky.  I agree with what you’re saying about Kuemper and the same would go for other possible options like Talbot, but……the 21-22 played so well as a team for the last third of a season that they deserve an opportunity to continue that into 22-23.  If that isn’t given to them I fear the momentum could get lost like it has so many times before.  Ukka Pukka Sambuca as the answer isn’t really fair to the rest of the room.

I would absolutely love it if they signed Kuemper or traded for Talbot.

I agree this roster deserves better goaltending. I think with at least league average goaltending they could even potentially push for a wildcard spot (assuming they continue playing like they did in their late season surge).

I just don’t see either happening if I’m being realistic. Kuemper wants to win and has not been linked to Buffalo even casually by anyone. It seems like it’s either Washington, Toronto or the NYR.

Talbot would be awesome. But he’s 35. We can’t give up major assets for him, and it sounds like Minnesota isn’t too keen on moving him at all.

plus MAF said he doesn’t want to start full time or even back to back games. He wants to split the net with Talbot so both are fresh.

Rumor is that Talbot just wants an extension in Minnesota since fleury now makes slightly more than him.

24 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

I would absolutely love it if they signed Kuemper or traded for Talbot.

I agree this roster deserves better goaltending. I think with at least league average goaltending they could even potentially push for a wildcard spot (assuming they continue playing like they did in their late season surge).

I just don’t see either happening if I’m being realistic. Kuemper wants to win and has not been linked to Buffalo even casually by anyone. It seems like it’s either Washington, Toronto or the NYR.

Talbot would be awesome. But he’s 35. We can’t give up major assets for him, and it sounds like Minnesota isn’t too keen on moving him at all.

plus MAF said he doesn’t want to start full time or even back to back games. He wants to split the net with Talbot so both are fresh.

Rumor is that Talbot just wants an extension in Minnesota since fleury now makes slightly more than him.

The Rangers?  Will he play like 7 games a year there?

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

The Rangers?  Will he play like 7 games a year there?

Yeah my bad they are in the market for a backup, not a starter.

I think it’s really only the Leafs, Capitals, Oilers and Sabres looking for starting goaltenders at this point.

Edited by BillsFan4

5 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

If he’s scared off by someone like UPL being on the roster, he doesn’t have the confidence to be an NHL goalie. I highly doubt he would be deterred by whoever Buffalo has in net. He seems like a very confident kid.

Reality is, he’s likely at least 3+ years away from playing games in Buffalo.

Another year in college. Then most likely a year in Rochester as a backup. Then a year in roch as a starter. Then maybe Buffalo.

Maybe Adams tried to rush him to the NHL (going against everything he’s continually said about refusing to rush prospects) and has him start in Rochester full time right away but I’d be surprised if he was ready to make the jump to the NHL after only 1 season in Rochester.

Our best bet for the next few years is either UPL or a trade/free agent (though I’m not sure which FA at this point).

Not UPL (who should be in Buffalo next season and left to sink or swim), someone on a long-term deal.

45 minutes ago, Doc said:

Not UPL (who should be in Buffalo next season and left to sink or swim), someone on a long-term deal.

Yeah I’m just saying that we have no other goalie in the system that’s anywhere near starting games in Buffalo besides UPL so, as far as our current prospects go (unless they trade for an NHL ready goaltender prospect).

I think our best bet for this season is a free agent or trade. I think UPL has a chance to be a competent starter but I just don’t have confidence in him staying healthy, and he’s not proven enough to rely on him to be the starter this season.

I want them to get a starting caliber goaltender but I’m worried Adams doesn’t want to acquire anyone who would lock down the starting role.

Ideally I’d like to see Buffalo sign or trade for someone who can hold down the net for at least the next few years. If UPL happens to outplay them, great! Then they can either be the backup or we can trade them. It’s not like there’s an abundance of starting goalies in the NHL. Let UPL split games as a backup with Anderson this season and if he does well he can be the full time backup next season. And if he outplays the starter we can always trade them. Or if he (UPL) ends up as just a backup level goalie we can trade/cut him if/when Levi or Portillo are ready. I don’t see where it would block any prospects. It’s not like there’s anyone available that is some elite Shesterkin level young goalie that would lock the net down in Buffalo for a decade.

Really, IMO the main thing potentially blocking our goaltender prospects is that we will have 2 goaltender prospects they’ll be looking to sign from college in the same offseason. I could see that scaring Portillo off if he thinks Levi will get preferential treatment for the starting role in Rochester. But there’s not much they can do about it now, besides trade Portillo. Ideally he would’ve signed this year and Levi next year to stagger their development by at least a year.

I’d love to see them sign Kuemper but I don’t know how realistic it is.

Though, If Toronto trades for Murray and Edmonton signs Campbell his only real option for a starting role is Washington or Buffalo and we have significantly more cap space than the Caps do.

this seems like a downgrade from what they had last year. I figured when they traded Mrazek that they’d go hard after Kuemper. Unless they still might? They do need a backup + starter.

edit - and it’s now official 😂

Ottawa retained 25% of his $6.25M cap hit. 

I don’t see any way they can sign Kuemper.

Edited by BillsFan4

https://novacapsfans.com/2022/07/11/capitals-do-not-tender-qualifying-offer-to-ilya-samsonov/

one more goalie to hit the UFA market now. Washington doesn’t qualify RFA Samsonov so now he will become a UFA.

between trading vanacek and not qualifying Samsonov I think it’s safe to say Washington feels pretty good about signing a starting goaltender in free agency. My guess is Kuemper.

I wonder if Buffalo will have interest in Samsonov?

https://www.nhl.com/player/ilya-samsonov-8478492

a quick glance at his stats from last season don’t look pretty. .896% is worse than Anderson was. Maybe he wasn’t as bad as his stats look? I don’t know. 

He would not be my first choice, that’s for sure. 

23 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

https://novacapsfans.com/2022/07/11/capitals-do-not-tender-qualifying-offer-to-ilya-samsonov/

one more goalie to hit the UFA market now. Washington doesn’t qualify RFA Samsonov so now he will become a UFA.

between trading vanacek and not qualifying Samsonov I think it’s safe to say Washington feels pretty good about signing a starting goaltender in free agency. My guess is Kuemper.

I wonder if Buffalo will have interest in Samsonov?

https://www.nhl.com/player/ilya-samsonov-8478492

a quick glance at his stats from last season don’t look pretty. .896% is worse than Anderson was. Maybe he wasn’t as bad as his stats look? I don’t know. 

He would not be my first choice, that’s for sure. 

I only watched him against the Sabres and IIRC he looked good over that limited sample.  I could definitely be wrong and at best have only partial info.

I’m fine with this if they plan on him playing in Rochester. I’m hoping the 2 way contract signals that is their intent. He seems like a great guy but he’s not really an NHL level goaltender. At least not one who should be a full time backup. A handful games if needed? Sure.

as expected, sounds like Kuemper to Washington and Campbell to Edmonton.

goalie market looking pretty barren already.

and another target I was hoping Buffalo would go after - Andrew Copp - is signing in Detroit.

I have a feeling today is going to be an aggravating day. I would love to be wrong though!

It’s a bit depressing seeing teams that Buffalo was better than (ottawa and Detroit) doing everything they can to improve while we sit on our hands so far. We’ll see what happens at noon though.

4 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

as expected, sounds like Kuemper to Washington and Campbell to Edmonton.

goalie market looking pretty barren already.

and another target I was hoping Buffalo would go after - Andrew Copp - is signing in Detroit.

I have a feeling today is going to be an aggravating day. I would love to be wrong though!

It’s a bit depressing seeing teams that Buffalo was better than (ottawa and Detroit) doing everything they can to improve while we sit on our hands so far. We’ll see what happens at noon though.

I could be wrong, but my impression is that KA has tried for some of these names and they just don't want to come here. I don't know if it is the decades long ineptitude or a matter of how much term and price is being asked for. The match between goalie and team in most of these cases has been speculated for some time. I have read a few folks on other boards suggesting Lindgren who is at least an unknown vs. the rest who are left who are known bad goalies. It is frustrating, for sure. Right now, we are a young team starting to come together. If there was one position that needed an upgrade this off-season, goalie is it and everyone knows it.

• Like (+1) 1

https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/stars/2022/07/11/stars-notebook-ben-bishop-returns-to-dallas-in-an-informal-capacity-as-a-coach/

Ben Bishop returns to Dallas as a coach, while he’s still listed on Buffalo’s roster 

🤷‍♂️😂

7 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

I could be wrong, but my impression is that KA has tried for some of these names and they just don't want to come here. I don't know if it is the decades long ineptitude or a matter of how much term and price is being asked for. The match between goalie and team in most of these cases has been speculated for some time. I have read a few folks on other boards suggesting Lindgren who is at least an unknown vs. the rest who are left who are known bad goalies. It is frustrating, for sure. Right now, we are a young team starting to come together. If there was one position that needed an upgrade this off-season, goalie is it and everyone knows it.

Yeah I agree selling UFA’s like Kuemper and Campbell on Buffalo was probably always going to be a losing battle, especially with the other teams that were interested. I never really had much hope either would sign here.

But there’s no reason Buffalo couldn’t have been in on the goalie trade market for guys like Talbot, Husso, Vanacek, Georgiev 

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.