Von Miller’s path to Bills in first foray into free agency: ‘Buffalo just chose me’

DrDawkinstein

1 hour ago, muppy said:

In the Bills history I remember also one former Bill who did NOT want to play in Buffalo. Circumvented it actually by playing in the USFL first. His name of course is Jim Kelly. Suffice it to say that Buffalo may not be the dream destination for players at first....................Until they actually DO come here. Then suddenly their attitude shifts and it becomes not only their NFL residence but Home. Im not saying that Von Miller will become a lifelong resident of WNY. But what I am saying is I'm not going to judge him for what he has Thought. I will judge him on what he Brings.  He is OUR new piece to the puzzle. 

Remember when the Bills lacked an integral piece to the roster and signed a guy named James Lofton and what occurred? I think this guy may well be the current generations "James Lofton". I officially just got chills.

Isiah McKenzie said he would play here for candy.  

I grew up in Buffalo, haven't lived there since 1970.   I live in Connecticut and go to Buffalo eight times a year.  I love Buffalo.

But to be honest about, Buffalo offers very little of the attractions of a big city.  It simply isn't vibrant like Boston or New York or Austin or Seattle.   If you're looking for urban excitement, Buffalo is not it, by a long shot.  Yes, it plays above its league with the Albright-Knox, but the big cities have two or three or five museums its equal.  

What Buffalo has is character.   People are, as the nickname suggests, good neighbors.   There's a togetherness, a helpfulness, a genuine caring for one another that you don't get in the big cities.   That's why Bills fans are so great.   Los Angeles and Atlanta and Dallas don't have fans like that.   You do get that feeling, however, throughout the midwest.  Milwaukee feels like that, and Indianapolis, and plenty of other places.   So, Buffalo isn't unique.  

When I read what Miller said, it seems clear to me that although he likes the bright lights of LA, and he liked being in Denver, he likes Dallas because it's home.   He doesn't care about Dallas, he cares about that plot of land and his family.   He chose Buffalo for a lot of reasons, including the chance to win again, but I think one of the reasons (although he didn't say it) was that he understood from players he talked to and on his visit that Buffalo is a place that can feel like home.   It's quiet, friendly, welcoming, and for some people, including Josh, they will tell you that they want that kind of environment.   It's not a great city in terms of being on some list of the ten best cities in America; it's a place where it's easy to feel at home. 

And, frankly, I don't know what some of you folks are talking about.   I've taken several people, to Schwabl's, people who have never been in Buffalo,  and just about all of them say that's the best sandwich they've ever had.  Ever.  They talk about it years later.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

22 hours ago, aceman_16 said:

The Athletic is my only virtual subscription. Their articles are written well and are top notch imo.

Me too and I am a cheap Bastid!!  Great articles.....coming up on my first renewal and I am not even gonna flinch.

3 hours ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

No one's going to be surprised to hear this from me, but it's not. It's not even as good as a French dip from Arby's. Every time I take a new person to Buffalo and they excitedly try the beef on weck, they're always disappointed because it's not anything special. There's a reason it hasn't left the Buffalo area. And before anyone says "You haven't had a proper one! You need to get one at X place!" -- I've tried ALL the top famous places and some lesser-known places.

sorry, but you lost me w/ any comparison to Arby's

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

And, frankly, I don't know what some of you folks are talking about.   I've taken several people, to Schwabl's, people who have never been in Buffalo,  and just about all of them say that's the best sandwich they've ever had.  Ever.  They talk about it years later.  

Very interesting. I went to Schwabl's as my final attempt to understand the beef on weck thing, and it was one of the worst ones I've ever had. Cold, flavorless. Maybe it was a bad day.

9 hours ago, BUFFALOBART said:

Buffalo (obviously) has Major league sports, great architecture, a world class symphony orchestra, great restaurants, museums, etc., etc. If that doesn't satisfy you, drive 90 miles to the North, to Toronto.

The rest of upstate NY cities, pale, in comparison to Buffalo.

A family friend living here in Atlanta (Buckhead, for her) just got a guided tour by a Buffalo native she was visiting in WNY. He had it all planned out and made the most of 4 days seeing what you listed and more. 

She grew up in Florida, lives in Atlanta and had lived and worked in NYC, DC and across Europe. I’m not saying WNY is all that, but she had reasonable expectations which were definitely exceeded.  She saw stuff I’VE never seen, and she was very impressed. 

I can appreciate the offerings of the GIANT cities, but I’m more comfortable in a medium size town.  I’ve actually looked at WNY real estate out of general curiosity, but also wondering if that might ultimately be our “beat the heat” summer/fall location. 

• Like (+1) 1

When I tell people I "grew up (until I was 11)" in Buffalo there is almost an intimidation factor.  It's like I survived the worst of hell.  I know its their image of the weather..constant blizzards, unbearable cold, all that crapola. 

This narrow and uninformed perspective consistently makes me more proud of my hometown.   I don't get defensive.  I acknowledge the weather is not the best in winter and joke that with climate change Buffalo will have a San Diego-like climate "soon". I also tell folks about the pride that current residents and ex-pats have for Buffalo. The weather doesn't define us but our grit, determination, willingness to help others, the Bills, Wings, our unique mix of arts and hard nosed hockey and football do.  I think what Buffalo has is somewhat unique (Saint Paul where I live now, parts of Boston, Milwaukee all have it to a degree).  Its a pride that only comes from folks generally thinking its a hell hole but from personal experience knowing better. 

Its a pride that comes from knowing that its a community that helps people out of a snow bank, that every Bills tailgate is open invitation, that every summer sunset on the lake is spectacular, that even during the dead of winter the neighborhood watering hole will be open.  

Dan Pompei did a great job on this story.  Von Miller is a spectacular addition on paper and appears ready to deliver on the field.

Edited by JoeF
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BUFFALOBART said:

"The top famous places".

Indeed.

All of your comments about Buffalo, are non specific.

I doubt that you have ever set foot inside the city.

Well, now you've poked the bear.

Let's see what I can remember off the top of my head...

I stayed at 36 Laurel Street for my honeymoon.

On another trip, my wife and I stayed in a house at the end of a cul-de-sac near Depew but I can't remember the address.

I've stayed at Salvatore's Garden Place (a steamy weekend with an ex-lover), Staybridge Suites, Adam's Mark when it used to be Adam's Mark, and probably a dozen other hotels or Airbnbs in the south towns. Oh, and the Holiday Inn Express by the airport has good bacon.

I've toured UB, walked around Delaware Park, know the Walden Galleria inside and out, walked the length of Bird Island Pier, sailed at sunset on the waterfront, enjoyed a show at Buffalo Iron Works, attended a craft show at Buffalo RiverWorks, loved Mulberry many times, toured the Martin house, been to Niagara Falls 12 times, prefer the West Ferry Street La Nova to the other one, am a Wingnutz fan, have been to Duff's in Depew so many times I can smell the bathroom right now, think Dave & Adam's kind of sucks, have tried beef on weck at Charlie the Butcher, Schwabl's, Duff's, and many other places I can't remember right now, prefer Bagel Jay's to Public Espresso, love Wegmans' chunky guacamole, and know that Mardee's in Clarence has a hell of a cinnamon roll.

And I almost forgot. I got a tattoo on Elmwood and I think the Jim's SteakOut in Allentown rocks.

Edited by Giuseppe Tognarelli
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Well, now you've poked the bear.

Let's see what I can remember off the top of my head...

I stayed at 36 Laurel Street for my honeymoon.

On another trip, my wife and I stayed in a house at the end of a cul-de-sac near Depew but I can't remember the address.

I've stayed at Salvatore's Garden Place (a steamy weekend with an ex-lover), Staybridge Suites, Adam's Mark when it used to be Adam's Mark, and probably a dozen other hotels or Airbnbs in the south towns. Oh, and the Holiday Inn Express by the airport has good bacon.

I've toured UB, walked around Delaware Park, know the Walden Galleria inside and out, walked the length of Bird Island Pier, sailed at sunset on the waterfront, enjoyed a show at Buffalo Iron Works, attended a craft show at Buffalo RiverWorks, loved Mulberry many times, toured the Martin house, been to Niagara Falls 12 times, prefer the West Ferry Street La Nova to the other one, am a Wingnutz fan, have been to Duff's in Depew so many times I can smell the bathroom right now, think Dave & Adam's kind of sucks, have tried beef on weck at Charlie the Butcher, Schwabl's, Duff's, and many other places I can't remember right now, prefer Bagel Jay's to Public Espresso, love Wegmans' chunky guacamole, and know that Mardee's in Clarence has a hell of a cinnamon roll.

And I almost forgot. I got a tattoo on Elmwood and I think the Jim's SteakOut in Allentown rocks.

No Mighty Taco?!? :(

23 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Green Bay would also not have an NFL team........smaller market than Buffalo.    And probably Pittsburgh as well.    Pittsburgh is not a city often considered threatened because the Steelers are iconic due to their SB history.   But without that prestige........they are the Pirates........who can barely exist financially in MLB despite maybe the best stadium to watch a game from in the league.

Your post made me go look up the size of NFL cities/markets. I was quite surprised one site listed New Orleans as smaller than Buffalo! Also surprised that Pittsburgh is bigger than 10 NFL markets:

Charlotte

Cincinnati

Las Vegas

Kansas City

Indianapolis

Nashville

Jacksonville

Buffalo

New Orleans

Green Bay

This above is according to a Packer's wiki:

https://packers.fandom.com/wiki/List_of_NFL_cities_by_number_of_major_professional_sports_franchises

This list doesn't jibe with largest US cities by population (where Jacksonville is the 13th biggest city, for example but 29 of 32 on the Packer's wiki list above):

https://worldpopulationreview.com/us-cities

So I am not sure how their totals were comprised. Maybe market size instead of city population. I don't have the time to do all the research.

But, I have to agree, Pittsburgh is small, by any numbers, and they are lucky to have that franchise.

Edited by chongli
  • Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, chongli said:

Your post made me go look up the size of NFL cities/markets. I was quite surprised one site listed New Orleans as smaller than Buffalo!

Probably has to do with Hurricane Katrina. I know for a fact GB and Buffalo were the two smallest markets at one point.

On 7/7/2022 at 11:31 AM, Logic said:

Great article.

A fine example of why I find The Athletic to be a highly worthwhile subscription.

The "he was gonna back out" angle is a new addition to the story. Certainly helps explain why he looked like his dog died in his "touring the Bills facility" video.

Credit to Beane and the Bills staff for sealing the deal with a player who was having serious second thoughts. 

My first thought was also that awkward video - the anti-hype video.  I'm surprised they even released it

On 7/7/2022 at 11:44 AM, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Honestly, he's said a lot of stuff like this and I feel like it would be good to stop.

Yeah, he needs to be lights out because I dislike him already after these interviews. If he comes out with a four sack season after saying he didn't want to be here and came because of the money, and then repeating it several times, it's not going to go well.

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, chongli said:

Your post made me go look up the size of NFL cities/markets. I was quite surprised one site listed New Orleans as smaller than Buffalo! Also surprised that Pittsburgh is bigger than 10 NFL markets:

Charlotte

Cincinnati

Las Vegas

Kansas City

Indianapolis

Nashville

Jacksonville

Buffalo

New Orleans

Green Bay

This above is according to a Packer's wiki:

https://packers.fandom.com/wiki/List_of_NFL_cities_by_number_of_major_professional_sports_franchises

This list doesn't jibe with largest US cities by population (where Jacksonville is the 13th biggest city, for example but 29 of 32 on the Packer's wiki list above):

https://worldpopulationreview.com/us-cities

So I am not sure how their totals were comprised. Maybe market size instead of city population. I don't have the time to do all the research.

But, I have to agree, Pittsburgh is small, by any numbers, and they are lucky to have that franchise.

Yeah in terms of geographic TV markets I know that Buffalo is actually quite large..........because it includes Ontario and there isn't another NFL team as close to Buffalo as Pittsburgh is to Cleveland, for example.  Southern Ontario has long been Bills country but It's important to extend that.  That's going to take a long, illustrious career from Josh Allen in Buffalo and good stewardship from ownership, most likely.

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Very interesting. I went to Schwabl's as my final attempt to understand the beef on weck thing, and it was one of the worst ones I've ever had. Cold, flavorless. Maybe it was a bad day.

Must have been.   The weck has changed over the years and isn't quite as good as it once was but still, most times I go there I'm amazed at how good the sandwich is.  And the second one is as good as the first!  I keep thinking I'll get tired of them, but it hasn't happened yet, and it's been 70 years.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.