Von Miller’s path to Bills in first foray into free agency: ‘Buffalo just chose me’

DrDawkinstein

16 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Miller has been saying this the whole time. He put out a video basically showing all of this.

He still signed here. It’s not much different from Kelly still telling the story about not wanting to be in Buffalo. So many players have the same story about growing to love Buffalo.

Very true

8 minutes ago, Nineforty said:

that seems way more elegant than zooming out on a webpage to 1% so you can copy and paste the text into a word doc

If it works, it's a good solution.

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

I can't tell you how many times someone at work has given me their notice and when I talk them into staying, they still end up leaving in less than a month.

Why?

Because the reason they gave their notice in the first place was because they didn't really want to be there.

This article concerns the hell out of me.  My biggest takeaway is that Beane and Co., had to talk Miller into signing.  He clearly admits that Buffalo was not his first choice and that he was having serious second thoughts.

I hope this ends well.

If Von plays a season here and Beane/McDermott have to talk him into playing for us any further, then sure, I’d be concerned.  

That’s your scenario.  

Sealing the deal on a sales pitch is not the same thing.  

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

I can't tell you how many times someone at work has given me their notice and when I talk them into staying, they still end up leaving in less than a month.

Why?

Because the reason they gave their notice in the first place was because they didn't really want to be there.

This article concerns the hell out of me.  My biggest takeaway is that Beane and Co., had to talk Miller into signing.  He clearly admits that Buffalo was not his first choice and that he was having serious second thoughts.

I hope this ends well.

I understand the worry especially with the first part, but that isnt exactly apples to apples. Those people who left were already at the place and decided to leave, in this case Miller had his first chance to choose where he would go, and with all of his options it ended up being Buffalo. He may have second guessed it prior, but I do not see him waffling on it now (granted he wouldnt publicly anyway). 

We will know the answer once the live bullets start flying, I am sure the rams opener may mess with him some, but then the next week the home opener against TN I think (maybe hope lol) that will validate his decision. Maybe even winning that first week would help more.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

Why?

I hope this ends well.

That's not really the same thing at all, that's a situation where someone has reached the point of wanting to leave and is waffling on the decision. Von Miller's situation is in FA at a time when he has to decide where he may likely finish his career and his having trouble making up his mind, but eventually went with the Bills. It makes perfect sense for him to be like that in that situation, but that situation is done he made his decision.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Gugny said:

Why?

I hope they don’t mention you by name. That would be poor form and have the potential to be very hurtful!  

Freddie Freeman recently had a similar situation when he returned to Atlanta (like Von opening in LA) and had some seller’s remorse. If I’m already rich, I’m going to do what makes me happy and the difference between $140 Mil or $165 Mil is not changing my world. Life is too short to do things just for money once you are already set. 

I hope Von gets settled in and falls in love with the culture and the locker room. EDIT: And the FANS! He’s gotta love the fans! 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, BRH said:

There are non-stop (not just direct) flights daily between Buffalo and Denver, Dallas, and LA.  What other cities does he "spend a lot of time in"?

Other than that, it was a great article.

How can a flight be non stop but not direct? Do you mean fly to Toronto and drive down?

3 minutes ago, ProcessAccepted said:

How can a flight be non stop but not direct? Do you mean fly to Toronto and drive down?

I’m guessing a parachute is involved?  🤷‍♂️

That didn’t make sense to me either, but since you asked, now I’m curious again. 

• Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, ProcessAccepted said:

2 minutes ago, Augie said:

I’m guessing a parachute is involved?  🤷‍♂️

That didn’t make sense to me either, but since you asked, now I’m curious again. 

Is a flight that stops to drop people off/pick up people and then leave considered non stop or direct?

Like I don't need to get off the plane but it does stop?

Edited by The Wiz

1 minute ago, The Wiz said:

Is a flight that stops to drop people off/pick up people and then leave considered non stop or direct?

Like I don't need to get off the plane but it does stop?

Neither. And do they even do these anymore? I havent had a connection where I stayed on the plane since I was a kid in the 80s.

2 hours ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

Winter in Buffalo probably isn't a lot of players cup of tea, but a winning team with serious chance to win the SB can overcome that lot of the time

It's not just winter... Buffalo is not a nice city. Some people don't like to admit it, but I struggle to think of another NFL city that is in worse shape.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

It's not just winter... Buffalo is not a nice city. Some people don't like to admit it, but I struggle to think of another NFL city that is in worse shape.

Well, it's been a long time since I have been in the area so don't know how much changed or whatnot, but I enjoyed it when I did go myself. What is it that makes you feel that way? 

49 minutes ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

Well, it's been a long time since I have been in the area so don't know how much changed or whatnot, but I enjoyed it when I did go myself. What is it that makes you feel that way? 

It's almost like there is no city. It's just a bunch of downtrodden streets and there is no walkable downtown where people go. There is no nice area, save for the small area around the hockey arena and waterfront.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Neither. And do they even do these anymore? I havent had a connection where I stayed on the plane since I was a kid in the 80s.

The last time I flew from Vegas to Rochester, we stopped in NYC and people got off and we continued to Rochester. Probably 3 years ago it was. 

3 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

It's almost like there is no city. It's just a bunch of downtrodden streets and there is no walkable downtown where people go. There is no nice area, save for the small area around the hockey arena and waterfront.

Well, same as in lots of cities, there's always some ppl that like and some dislike. I'm assuming you are located in Buffalo area or were at some point for a while? I guess it was so enjoyable for me due to the excitement to go to the game and only visited a handful of times. 

1 hour ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

I wouldn’t go that far. It’s a small city. It’s like many cities in the country it’s just very small.

• Like (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

Well, same as in lots of cities, there's always some ppl that like and some dislike. I'm assuming you are located in Buffalo area or were at some point for a while? I guess it was so enjoyable for me due to the excitement to go to the game and only visited a handful of times. 

I'm not from there, but I've spent weeks there recently

50 minutes ago, BUFFALOBART said:

...Sounds like you have never set foot, in the city of Buffalo.

I have, many times and for extended periods. I'm very familiar with the city and the surrounding areas. Locals don't want to hear it, but there's nothing special about Buffalo. It's a very dirty, dilapidated, small, hurting city

Edited by Giuseppe Tognarelli
  • Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

I'm not from there, but I've spent weeks there recently

I have, many times and for extended periods. I'm very familiar with the city and the surrounding areas. Locals don't want to hear it, but there's nothing special about Buffalo. It's a very dirty, dilapidated, small, hurting city

this really works if you imagine it being said by werner herzog.

• Haha (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.