Von Miller’s path to Bills in first foray into free agency: ‘Buffalo just chose me’

DrDawkinstein

4 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

And also, are we talking about Buffalo as a location in the northeast, or Buffalo as the Buffalo Bills organization?

It all goes together. Right now players want to play here to win, but we’re still not a dream destination. Dallas and others have it so easy.   

This is also the number 1 reason I wanted a dome. It factors into a players decision. 

3 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

In your opinion the Rams, Cowboys, and Bills all offer a player the same money, where is the player signing? You could probably list 10 other cities players would have discussions about.

Its just a reality the Bills have to deal with. That’s why it was even a story that players were contacting the Bills this year. Probably half the league gets calls from players, the Bills typically have to convince players to come here.

It depends if said player wants to sign with team that has good chance at a Championship. Which I assume more do than not. 

1 hour ago, Big Blitz said:

I think he meant because it is home.

I'd much rather these guys just say it - it's about the money AND best chance to win.

But I agree I really don't care how honest he wants to be, we paid you a ***k ton of money no one wants to hear anything other "sure there were 1 or 2 other teams I considered but I chose Buffalo this is where I want to finish my career."  

They all have second thoughts.  Of course they do.  

But part of our "process" here is....not the stuff he keeps saying out loud.  

Spare me the "he had a Bills hat" on his shelf in his draft year.  Don't care.  Or "Buffalo chose me."  My God.  Stop it. 

D-line remains my #1 concern with this team - lots of new faces and chemistry that's going to take time it is no different then OL.  And we payed a 33 year old to come play in a lead role.  You better freaking ball.   

No reason to take offense.  If that’s his story that’s his story.  Makes sense.  Most people have 2nd thoughts about things much less impactful in their lives.  His story has no bearing on anything relevant.  

When the whistle blows Miller will give everything he’s got to help get these wins; as he always has, as he knows everyone expects.   

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Logic said:

I don't recall him saying definitively that he was going to back out, and that he had decided that he would tell Beane face-to-face that he wasn't signing. I remember him saying he was having serious second thoughts and doubts, but not that he was planning to back out. I certainly may be wrong, but that's how I remember it.

He said that on his plane ride here that he was gonna tell us that he was gonna go back and resign with the Rams. He said it right in his introductory press conference 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Believe it or not this is an honest view on how free agency works. It’s a huge decision and until they sign players likely go back and forth when they have options.

Buffalo is not a dream destination for any player. 

This is the cold hard reality that most fans will never accept. For those of us that were raised in the area, it shouldn't even be offensive or disappointing to here these type of things because every knows the situation with the weather and other limitations with midsized northeastern type of city.

But even with the Bills now perceived as a premier organization in the NFL, it's not going to change the perception of 20 year old men who have other interests in life than just their career. Same reason why most Bills players (including JA17) have other homes in more desirable locations and don't spend their entire offseason here.

Regarding Millers comments though, I'm not sure why he is even saying these type of things publicly though because it's going to make fans turn on him quickly especially if he gets hurt or fails to live up to whatever lofty expectations have already been bestowed upon him. It's also not a good look and confirms that we did have to overpay and outbid everyone else to get him here.

5 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

They get media training for a reason. 

I don’t want to ruin your belief that Buffalo is the number 1 free agent destination in the NFL though.

That's not what I said Senor Dramatic.

I will 100% acknowledge Buffalo is towards the bottom of cities that most players would want to play in.  But to say that "not one single player has/had a dream to play here" is something I don't agree with.

Why even have this discussion anymore?  You've made up your mind.  I could quote a player, like Jones, who said they really wanted to be here and you can always use the "they aren't honest with the media" jibberish.  

I happen to believe that some are honest but that won't even cross your mind.  

Edited by Royale with Cheese

1 minute ago, FilthyBeast said:

This is the cold hard reality that most fans will never accept. For those of us that were raised in the area, it shouldn't even be offensive or disappointing to here these type of things because every knows the situation with the weather and other limitations with midsized northeastern type of city.

Winter in Buffalo probably isn't a lot of players cup of tea, but a winning team with serious chance to win the SB can overcome that lot of the time

2 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

But even with the Bills now perceived as a premier organization in the NFL, it's not going to change the perception of 20 year old men who have other interests in life than just their career. Same reason why most Bills players (including JA17) have other homes in more desirable locations and don't spend their entire offseason here.

Regarding Millers comments though, I'm not sure why he is even saying these type of things publicly though because it's going to make fans turn on him quickly especially if he gets hurt or fails to live up to whatever lofty expectations have already been bestowed upon him. It's also not a good look and confirms that we did have to overpay and outbid everyone else to get him here.

Miller has been saying this the whole time. He put out a video basically showing all of this.

He still signed here. It’s not much different from Kelly still telling the story about not wanting to be in Buffalo. So many players have the same story about growing to love Buffalo.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

That's not what I said Senor Dramatic.

I will 100% acknowledge Buffalo is towards the bottom of cities that most players would want to play in.  But to say that "not one single player has/had a dream to play here" is something I don't agree with.

Why even have this discussion anymore?  You've made up your mind.  I could quote a player, like Jones, who said they really wanted to be here and you can always use the "they aren't honest with the media" jibberish.  

I happen to believe that some are honest but that won't even cross your mind.  

It’s a question they already know is coming from the media. I don’t even know why the media asks those questions. I guess they know some fans love to hear those scripted answers.

2 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

It’s a question they already know is coming from the media. I don’t even know why the media asks those questions. I guess they know some fans love to hear those scripted answers.

They’re all liars.  Settle was practicing his wohoo in the mirror to sell the lie to us fans…that SOB.

• Haha (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Don't have a subscription, but luckily as a software engineer, I know how to parse and read HTML :)

that seems way more elegant than zooming out on a webpage to 1% so you can copy and paste the text into a word doc

10 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Miller has been saying this the whole time. He put out a video basically showing all of this.

He still signed here. It’s not much different from Kelly still telling the story about not wanting to be in Buffalo. So many players have the same story about growing to love Buffalo.

I get it but he's not going to win over any fans if this season doesn't play out as expected, which in most fans minds apparently ends with a parade in downtown Buffalo hoisting the franchises first Lombardi.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.