It may be "old" Bills-fan thinking, but hype like we're already getting kinda scares me

JÂy RÛßeÒ

haha well here's my answer to the OP.

Being a Bills fan is kind of like childbirth. We have been in the throes of labor for too long. SHOW ME THE BABY. Once you have given birth you forget all the pain leading up to it.

NFL Championship or BUST No Fear BUCKLE UP!~!~!!!

I think we are in for a really fun season, but we will have some instances where the forum goes bat crap crazy. Likely questions if Josh is really who we thought he was, likely suggests McDermott isn't the guy. All of which could happen early on as the schedule isn't very fluffy this year and while the W/L's don't spell it out, from my observation, we are a second half of the season type of team.

Realistically, I want to make it 5 games in and feel as if nothing I saw tells me we can't win it all. We could be 3-2, so be it. We are not going undefeated. World beaters in this league do not beat worlds. They are just a razors edge better than most. In sum, no major surprises early, stay healthy.  

Winning the Super Bowl requires lots of luck.  I believe we have the roster and the coaching staff to get it done.  Now we just have to wait and see what the NFL gods have in store for us.  Injuries, officiating and weather can impact wins and losses.  How will they impact us?  🙏🏻 

8 hours ago, Max Fischer said:

Personally, I think the expectation and hype is getting out of hand. 

However, I also believe fans should be enjoying this era as much as possible. 

There are some crazy good teams in the AFC. I no Allen and company will do there thing, it’s time for McDermott defense to come up big and stop laying eggs in big moments. 

Some of the things I (try to) live by:

Prepare for the worst, but expect the best.

Let's just take it a game at a time.

Expect the unexpected.

Don't take any opponent lightly.

Don't become too emotionally involved where your week is ruined after a loss.

Have balance in your life.

8 hours ago, julian said:

I have to disagree, being the hunter allows fans to feel less pain upon failure because they weren’t “supposed” to win anyway.

But I’d rather risk that anguish knowing that my QB and team have no excuses for not winning it all. The best team doesn’t always win it all, many have said for months the Bills were the best team last year and then 13 seconds happened.

Coaching cost Allen his first ring last year, if they repeat that mistake this year… torches will be lit and crowds will gather at the gates, and rightfully so.

About the best team not always winning is true, That’s why we need coach McDermott on his best because there are some great teams in the AFC. We can’t have no more meltdowns. 

• Agree 2

Yeah I so miss the days when we all knew the Bills has zero chance at the division and maybe if things went perfectly they could score a wildcard spot (which was also completely unrealistic).  Those were the best of times...

Edited by 13 Second Prevent Defense

17 hours ago, MarkyMannn said:

I got 55 years in as a Bills fan. Remember so many years in say November playing out the string for a higher draft pick. Now that sucks👎

Yes I do, and we weren't even good at doing that. Our #4 picks were Mike Williams and Marcel Dareus. 

I am thrilled that we are finally a good team and even placed a small bet on the Bills in Vegas at 6.5 x 1 odds, but decades of suffering don't just vanish (or at least not in my case). Thankfully, I now don't allow myself to get as crazy when bad things happen to the Bills.

In summary, I fully understand what Jay is getting at, and I think that most of us have at least some feelings of trepidation about the Bills, ya know? I don't think that I was the only Bills Fan to be not that shocked when we blew the lead against KC. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

15 hours ago, HOUSE said:

Think of yourself as already dead then it won't be so hard on you.

there is a difference between mostly dead and all the way dead…,

Go Bills!!!

13 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

A large soft drink at Flying J truck stops just went up to $79.95.

They have a masseuse at Flying Jack??😳

18 hours ago, MarkyMannn said:

I got 55 years in as a Bills fan. Remember so many years in say November playing out the string for a higher draft pick. Now that sucks👎

55 years??😲 Whippersnapper ..😏

• Haha (+1) 3

10 hours ago, NewEra said:

Winning the Super Bowl requires lots of luck.  I believe we have the roster and the coaching staff to get it done.  Now we just have to wait and see what the NFL gods have in store for us.  Injuries, officiating and weather can impact wins and losses.  How will they impact us?  🙏🏻 

I agree with you on the roster. But the coaching staff...Uh, I don't know about that. I hope they are but we shall see.

1 hour ago, Greg S said:

I agree with you on the roster. But the coaching staff...Uh, I don't know about that. I hope they are but we shall see.

I understand why you would feel that way. 
The coaching has failed us in the previous two playoff losses.  I still believe they can and will get the job done.  

I agree it has always seemed as if the Bills do best when they aren't talked about much & are the under dogs but how in the world can they not be talked about these guys are just dam good & as they say on any given Sunday beat any team in the league .

So although i'm a bit nervous about all the hype i think these guys like the 90's teams can over look it & just go out & play their game & it will all be good & i think they have all they need to win a SB which would send Buffalo & the Bills mafia into a frenzy like no one has ever seen in the NFL fandom before .

GO BILLS !! 

59 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I understand why you would feel that way. 
The coaching has failed us in the previous two playoff losses.  I still believe they can and will get the job done.  

To be fair McDermott has changed the culture of the franchise. But 13 seconds still stings for me. Hopefully they learned from that and can get the job done this year.

• Agree 1

34 minutes ago, Greg S said:

To be fair McDermott has changed the culture of the franchise. But 13 seconds still stings for me. Hopefully they learned from that and can get the job done this year.

It’ll forever sting.  Hopefully that won’t be his defining moment as the coach of the Bills.  It could be….. but I billieve he’ll overcome.  

I think having Levi Wallace and Dane Jackson as our corners for those 13 seconds had something to do with his poor defensive play calls.  2 slow, zero investment corners out there to cover Tyreek, Kelce and Hardman with the season on the line.  

3 minutes ago, NewEra said:

It’ll forever sting.  Hopefully that won’t be his defining moment as the coach of the Bills.  It could be….. but I billieve he’ll overcome.  

I think having Levi Wallace and Dane Jackson as our corners for those 13 seconds had something to do with his poor defensive play calls.  2 slow, zero investment corners out there to cover Tyreek, Kelce and Hardman with the season on the line.  

I know this is beating a dead horse as its been discussed a billion times but I still can't understand how they lost that game when KC had 1st and 10 AT THEIR 25 with just 13 seconds left. Thank God the season is getting close now. That moment will sting until the Bills (hopefully this is the year) win the Super Bowl.

• Agree 2

22 hours ago, JÂy RÛßeÒ said:

In my 50+ years as a Bills fan, I've never seen us deal well with this kind of thing.  Hopefully we're learning cause it's coming from all sides now.

According to CBS Sports, we have the top roster in the league...

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/ranking-all-32-nfl-rosters-ahead-of-2022-training-camp-bills-buccaneers-chargers-crack-top-five/

And poor Dawson Knox doesn't even get a mention...

I don't see any reason to be "scared" because of this....I mean for me I've got about the most confidence if anything, more than I've had in a long time especially with this roster.

Embrace it and take it all in.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.