It may be "old" Bills-fan thinking, but hype like we're already getting kinda scares me

JÂy RÛßeÒ

3 minutes ago, teef said:

if the bills don't win the super bowl this year will it be disappointing?  of course.  will it change anyone's life?  no.  to be paranoid about this and not enjoy it is insane to me.  

Exactly...Not sure what about this roster and having the best QB Bills have ever had would make anyone feel like that? I mean one should expect to get more attention. But anyways...

• Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

Exactly...Not sure what about this roster and having the best QB Bills have ever had would make anyone feel like that? I mean one should expect to get more attention. But anyways...

i'm just choosing to have fun with this.  new season...new set of circumstances...giddy up.

30 minutes ago, teef said:

if the bills don't win the super bowl this year will it be disappointing?  of course.  will it change anyone's life?  no.  to be paranoid about this and not enjoy it is insane to me.  

You are 100% correct but if there ever was a fanbase that deserves a championship its this one.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Yes, I agree. I yearn for the days when we were picked to come in 4th in our division and be in contention for the number 1 overall pick. I miss the days of seeing the Bills logo on the right, bottom of my television screen with a 4-7 record, but "still in the hunt."

Those were the days!

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Beast said:

Yes, I agree. I yearn for the days when we were picked to come in 4th in our division and be in contention for the number 1 overall pick. I miss the days of seeing the Bills logo on the right, bottom of my television screen with a 4-7 record, but "still in the hunt."

Those were the days!

Lol, think I drank quite a bit more those years than I do now. All those years when the first couple weeks into November the season was over

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

Yeah for sure. Kinda hard not to have fun if you're a Bills fan

Actually, in my experience it's kinda hard not to not have fun if you're a Bills fan. 

I am very much in favor of fun. But for some of us, given the history, it involves a serious attitude adjustment. 

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Dr. K said:

Actually, in my experience it's kinda hard not to not have fun if you're a Bills fan. 

I am very much in favor of fun. But for some of us, given the history, it involves a serious attitude adjustment. 

I think the players are perfectly grounded in reality, understanding what it takes to win any given sunday, and hopefully how to win to a super bowl.

I think the hype train is more of a problem on twitter and with fans.  Some will get super cocky and it will be very annoying.  

It doesn't "scare" me, but, yes, it sure sets certain fans up for disappointment should we not meet the expectations of the media talking heads.  Of course, I believe we are good enough to make it to and win the Super Bowl, but so many things have to go right during the course of a season to make that a reality (luck with injuries, catching teams at the right time, bounces of the ball, etc.).  As long as they play hard and smart and leave it all on the field, I can live with the results such as they are.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, TheBrownBear said:

It doesn't "scare" me, but, yes, it sure sets certain fans up for disappointment should we not meet the expectations of the media talking heads.  Of course, I believe we are good enough to make it to and win the Super Bowl, but so many things have to go right during the course of a season to make that a reality (luck with injuries, catching teams at the right time, bounces of the ball, etc.).  As long as they play hard and smart and leave it all on the field, I can live with the results such as they are.

We just went through this last year. In most cases people picked Buffalo or KC to represent the AFC last year. There was some disappointment in the regular season.

We already went through the hype let down. This year there is more of an urgency with the team and front office. You can see it in the players. Probably because of how last season went.

2 hours ago, Greg S said:

You are 100% correct but if there ever was a fanbase that deserves a championship its this one.

completely agree.  don't get me wrong...i'll be bummed about not getting a super bowl if it doesn't happen in the next few year.  it's just not enough to make me nervous about any up coming season.  just one trophy would be so sweet.

• Like (+1) 2

On 7/6/2022 at 8:54 AM, JÂy RÛßeÒ said:

In my 50+ years as a Bills fan, I've never seen us deal well with this kind of thing.  Hopefully we're learning cause it's coming from all sides now.

According to CBS Sports, we have the top roster in the league...

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/ranking-all-32-nfl-rosters-ahead-of-2022-training-camp-bills-buccaneers-chargers-crack-top-five/

And poor Dawson Knox doesn't even get a mention...

Expectations are good things.  The Bills ARE good with a lot of talent.  The Super Bowl teams got a lot of hype too and won a lot of games and big games at the same time.  

Choose happiness.

21 hours ago, Buffalo Boy said:

I absolutely understand but …… Why not us?

I, too, have that niggling voice that keeps waiting for the other shoe to drop because it has always been thus.

However, Josh is different. Nothing is too big for him from here on out. That is the ONLY positive I take from the KC game! 
    We also have a better line this year on both sides of the ball. 
    No guarantees but we are not preseason SB favs for nothing. 

Consensus preseason favorites in any sport rarely live up to the hype and win a championship, that in itself is almost a kiss of death for this team.

There's no argument that if this team stays relatively healthy they should be among the favorites to playing meaningful football in late Jan/early Feb, but again you can say that about at least 3 or 4 other teams in just the AFC alone.

What this team really needs to do is play consistent football from Sept to Jan and ensure they get homefield advantage throughout the playoffs which was key during the 90's SB years as well when they only had to win playoff games on the road in 1 of those SB appearances.

So hopefully they learned their lesson last year by essentially taking 2 months off in Oct/Nov before getting their act together in Dec/Jan and having to go to KC again for the playoffs isn't a winning proposition if you truly have championship aspirations. And speaking of KC, there is a reason why they have dominated the AFC the last four years as well, because they have not had to play a road playoff game during that stretch with Mahomes as their starter.

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

So hopefully they learned their lesson last year by essentially taking 2 months off in Oct/Nov

I put a large part of this on the coaches not getting the right o-line combination until then. 
    Starting Bates and changing up the run blocking scheme was too long in the making.

I agree that they have to hit the ground running but my money is on Josh. He’s a man on a mission this year and he’s taking the whole team with him!

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, teef said:

completely agree.  don't get me wrong...i'll be bummed about not getting a super bowl if it doesn't happen in the next few year.  it's just not enough to make me nervous about any up coming season.  just one trophy would be so sweet.

Same here. Just give me one Super Bowl championship. Of course I want the Bills to win as many as possible but I just want to experience at least one.

3 hours ago, teef said:

Depends on whether or not you're a degenerate gambler and on which side of the ledger you fall. 😇  :devil:

(BTW, I'm with you...enjoy the ride)

GO BILLS!!!

• Haha (+1) 1

I expect the Buffalo Bills to win the Super Bowl this season or the Sean McDermott should be fired. I get it some fans would excuse everything losing forever but I am not a Buffalo fan like that. I expect to win yearly or changes have to be made.

The Buffalo Bills failure last season was on Sean McDermott and his coaching staff. It wasn’t Bills GM Brandon Bean he did his job gave the coaches a team that can win someone didn’t do there job and we all know deep down “Mr 13 seconds” my nickname for Sean McDermott failed. “Fool me once same on you fool me twice shame on me” I think I got that old saying right Bills fans get the idea where I stand with the Bills post in my opinion. Go Bills! Let’s Go Buffalo 

Edited by Buffalo Super Fan
  • Disagree 1

On 7/6/2022 at 11:54 AM, JÂy RÛßeÒ said:

In my 50+ years as a Bills fan, I've never seen us deal well with this kind of thing.  Hopefully we're learning cause it's coming from all sides now.

According to CBS Sports, we have the top roster in the league...

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/ranking-all-32-nfl-rosters-ahead-of-2022-training-camp-bills-buccaneers-chargers-crack-top-five/

And poor Dawson Knox doesn't even get a mention...

I agree 100%.  Not because it's not true. But.  This heart of mine has been hurt before.  This time I wanna be shore.  I been waiting.  

Edited by Irv
  • Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.