It may be "old" Bills-fan thinking, but hype like we're already getting kinda scares me

JÂy RÛßeÒ

In my 50+ years as a Bills fan, I've never seen us deal well with this kind of thing.  Hopefully we're learning cause it's coming from all sides now.

According to CBS Sports, we have the top roster in the league...

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/ranking-all-32-nfl-rosters-ahead-of-2022-training-camp-bills-buccaneers-chargers-crack-top-five/

1. Bills

It's no wonder Josh Allen's getting lots of MVP buzz entering year five. Not only is the QB a star in his own right, but he's got an enviable supporting cast, starting with a one-two-three punch of Stefon Diggs, Gabriel Davis and Jamison Crowder out wide. That group alone can put on a clinic with route-running (Diggs), deep speed (Davis) and slot work (Crowder), and James Cook's addition to the backfield should give Allen another outlet. The line isn't perfect, but Allen's natural athleticism doesn't require it.

Sean McDermott's defense, meanwhile, is probably even more improved coming off three straight playoff runs. Who will dare play their front four (Von Miller, Ed Oliver, DaQuan Jones, Greg Rousseau) with confidence? Behind them, it's one play-maker after another, with Matt Milano and Tremaine Edmunds manning the middle, Kaiir Elam joining Tre'Davious White in coverage and the aging but savvy safety duo of Micah Hyde and Jordan Poyer rounding out the secondary. If this team doesn't at least advance to the AFC Championship, fans across New York will be sorely disappointed, and rightfully so.

And poor Dawson Knox doesn't even get a mention...

• Like (+1) 7
  • Shocked 1
  • Agree 4
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Hype around the Bills shouldn't bother you IF you believe in McDermott as Head Coach.

By next season you will be seeing a lot more about Knox imo.  

I read the article, I think it is well done.  Especially happy to see the Pats way down the list at 24, worse then the Jets or Dolphins.

Edited by RoyBatty is alive
  • Agree 5

13 minutes ago, JÂy RÛßeÒ said:

In my 50+ years as a Bills fan, I've never seen us deal well with this kind of thing.  Hopefully we're learning cause it's coming from all sides now.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/ranking-all-32-nfl-rosters-ahead-of-2022-training-camp-bills-buccaneers-chargers-crack-top-five/

The response of the team to this sort of thing is what matters.  Most fans are expecting a SB win and getting hopes up that high can hurt if the team falls short.  Personally I know they’re good enough to win it all, but that it’s a tough road.  I’m just trying to enjoy the ride.  The toughest part for me is that I just want the playoffs to start already.  That’s where this team will show its worth. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Hype was very big last year. They lacked intensity at times. They overcame it at the end. I don’t see that being a problem with this years team. They were very disappointed with how it ended. There is a mission. 

21 minutes ago, JÂy RÛßeÒ said:

50+ years? They went to 4 straight Super Bowls. You don’t keep going back if you’re not handling it well.

• Like (+1) 2

OP this is not an attack on you, but just in general I don’t understand this thinking. For years we all wanted a team that was good and we could cheer for. We now have it and it’s almost like some people want to go back to how it was 5-10 years ago. You can’t win 13 games a year and still sneak up on people. 

The Bills have a good chance in every game they play this year, that’s what you want (along with a Super Bowl win). I like that there are high expectations, as a fan base I don’t understand why everyone else doesn’t want the same

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

56 minutes ago, JÂy RÛßeÒ said:

I'm 57 and I embrace the hype that the Bills are getting. The drought was way too long and now it is time to shine so enjoy it.

12 minutes ago, H2o said:

If all of the signings on defense provide what I think they will provide to this team, then the hype is legit and warranted. 

Better pass rush and better against the run this year. I think they will do a better job against good offenses unlike last year. Their #1 ranking was a paper tiger last year. See Chiefs, Titans, Bucs, and Colts games as proof of that.

• Agree 1

17 minutes ago, Greg S said:

Better pass rush and better against the run this year. I think they will do a better job against good offenses unlike last year. Their #1 ranking was a paper tiger last year. See Chiefs, Titans, Bucs, and Colts games as proof of that.

I agree. Our defense had trouble for the last couple of years against a balanced offense, we should be able to match up better this year. We might even see an uptick in blitzing if tre and Kaiir are playing at a high level. I also think the influx of offensive coaches will also help us even though we didn't devote the lions share of offseason player acquisition there.

Edited by 4BillsintheBurgh
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JÂy RÛßeÒ said:

I'm 30+ and definitely agree. I mean we do arguably have the best roster but I hate all this hype as well. 

I do feel our coaching and leadership is remarkable and it won't get to their heads though. We got a special group , just accept it

33 minutes ago, MarkyMannn said:

I got 55 years in as a Bills fan. Remember so many years in say November playing out the string for a higher draft pick. Now that sucks👎

Yep.

I recall year after year with my biggest hope that we would at least get a rookie of the year or a few Bills on the All star team, the years when they played it like a real football game.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.