RIP 🪦 Hank Goldberg

ESPN NFL reporter and handicapping expert Hank Goldberg dies at 82

https://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/34193642/espn-nfl-reporter-handicapping-expert-hank-goldberg-dies-82

Hank Goldberg, who worked at ESPN as an NFL reporter and handicapping expert for two decades, died Monday on his 82nd birthday, his family confirmed.

Goldberg had been in treatment for chronic kidney disease in recent years.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

I would see him at the Red Rock sports book every time I’d go there to place a wager (prior to online betting apps).  I spoke with him on a handful of occasion about his picks for the day and sports in general.  He was always a gentlemen.  Rest In Peace Hank.  

• Like (+1) 6

I hate to admit, but I don’t remember this reporter.  Someone referenced Countdown with Boomer so must have been the 80’s.  

I’m sorry for his family, and at least he lived an 82 year life.  I say that with in my mind my Dad who turns 92 this August in mind.  He still golfs twice a week, and barely on meds.

The hammer was a regular on the Neil Rogers show, from 10-2 in Miami back in the day. He was also on regularly with Jim Manditch (TE for the undefeated phish. Infact,  they had a show together on WIOD,  or another station, called Hank and the Bulldog (Manditch). Great radio back then on days the a.m. signal would reach from Miami to Ft Myers 

Edited by flaz

5 hours ago, Rico said:

I always enjoyed it on the ESPN Sunday pre-game show when this big Dolphins homer would pick Miami to win and then the Bills would kick their ass. He had a face made for radio, may he RIP.

This is so true.

I was always perplexed why he compromised his expertise by constantly picking his Dolphins over the Bills during the SB runs...........but back in the 80's and 90's guys like him and Jimmy the Greek were mostly just sketchy characters to add color to the show rather than trusted sources for gambling info.    

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Pete Axthelm, Jimmy the Green Snyder, Hank Goldberg...those old school ,Lincoln Town Car personalities, that you wouldnt-couldnt-shouldnt have taken seriously would actually be entertaining...makes you wonder what analysis, metrics, facts, etc (or lack thereof) would go into their "professional" predictions...

Back in the 80s, Axe would call a woeful Green Bay-Tampa Bay game, the "Bay of Pigs" for example

rest in peace Hank, and keep picking those loosers from the best view above...

Edited by First Round Bust

15 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

but back in the 80's and 90's guys like him and Jimmy the Greek were mostly just sketchy characters to add color to the show rather than trusted sources for gambling info.    

Anyone who bet on Jimmy the Greek's picks would be in the poor house. I knew people who waited for his picks to bet against them and made money.

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.