Buffalo Bills’ Jordan Poyer named best safety in NFL

Poyer and Hyde are both terrific players, but they started to really shine only when they got to the Bills and Frazier built his defense to take advantage of what they do well and to minimize the impact of what they don't.  It's hard to separate the value of the player from the quality of the scheme.  The Bills have had several DBs over the years who were great here, signed big FA contracts, and were never as good with their new team.  (Antoine Winfield being a notable exception.) 

These are professionals who want to maximize their lifetime earnings while they still can.  You can't blame them for seeking top money, but no one should imagine that Poyer would necessarily be as good if he changed teams. 

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, Utah John said:

Poyer and Hyde are both terrific players, but they started to really shine only when they got to the Bills and Frazier built his defense to take advantage of what they do well and to minimize the impact of what they don't.  It's hard to separate the value of the player from the quality of the scheme.  The Bills have had several DBs over the years who were great here, signed big FA contracts, and were never as good with their new team.  (Antoine Winfield being a notable exception.) 

These are professionals who want to maximize their lifetime earnings while they still can.  You can't blame them for seeking top money, but no one should imagine that Poyer would necessarily be as good if he changed teams. 

The chemistry of Hyde and Poyer is undeniable, I think both understand that the two together are much better and either would be by himself.  Not sure if Frazier deserves credit or the two do.  I think both would be willing to take a small hometown discount to stick together.

24 minutes ago, Utah John said:

I don't think this is a valid assumption. I think we view contract negotiations from our perspective, which is that we always could use more money to retire on. In Poyer's case, at the end of this season he will have earned 38 million dollars, and he has another contract to go. 38 million after tax is 20 million, and even if Poyers's wife is spending a million dollars a year, they already have 10 million dollars in the bank. I think at that point in their careers, a lot of players recognize that getting top dollar on their final big contract is less important than getting good money and playing where they'd like to play. I'm not saying that this is how Poyer is thinking about it, but I do think that it's not uncommon for players in his position to recognize that they're already financially secure and to decide on their next contract based on a variety of parameters, not just money.

2 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

If his agent really did influence this article as others have mentioned above (which seems plausible), that makes me think Poyer wants top of the market safety money.

I could see that being the case because he hasn’t really made a ton of money in his career and this is probably his last shot at a big pay day. But I just don’t see how it works out in Buffalo if that’s what he’s after. I think the best the bills could do is something similar to what he’s making now.

I'd like a 2 year extension at top dollar , him and Hyde are what makes this defense special. 

Wow Poyer had a 13.7 passer rating,  that's insane. Next best was Mccourty at 38

Edited by JerseyBills

4 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Poyer deserves recognition.........but It is interesting how players in walk years or salary disputes SO OFTEN go from unrecognizable to many pundits..........to being pitched as shining stars.

It's been going on since free agency began.    

@H2o might actually be on to something.

it also sets the stage for dramatic free agency headlines, in addition to agents having incentive. You hype a guy as a huge story and suddenly you’ve manufactured future clicks. 

that said, he’s an excellent safety.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

I don't think this is a valid assumption. I think we view contract negotiations from our perspective, which is that we always could use more money to retire on. In Poyer's case, at the end of this season he will have earned 38 million dollars, and he has another contract to go. 38 million after tax is 20 million, and even if Poyers's wife is spending a million dollars a year, they already have 10 million dollars in the bank. I think at that point in their careers, a lot of players recognize that getting top dollar on their final big contract is less important than getting good money and playing where they'd like to play. I'm not saying that this is how Poyer is thinking about it, but I do think that it's not uncommon for players in his position to recognize that they're already financially secure and to decide on their next contract based on a variety of parameters, not just money.

This ^^^. I don’t think it’s about maximizing cash as much as it’s about maximizing value. Money can certainly compensate for things like location, facilities, losing, etc. However, once you have a substantial amount of wealth quality of life tends to be determined by factors other than money…. Granted, happy wife happy life may be one of them. 

Well, he isn't the best safety in the NFL. Him and Hyde are both top 10, though. What a great duo. I do hope the Bills work out an extension for him, but with both of them over 30, we probably only have a couple more years of them in Buffalo.

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

I think a big part of contracts is just the "respect" component. What you get offered shows how a team values you. If you think you are a top player in the league at your position, you want to be valued that way by the organization you are playing for, and your contract is a direct representation of that. It's not just about the money, of course, but top players feel that they have earned a big contract and getting offered less is disrespectful.

So yeah, it isn't always just about securing their future financially (despite so many players bringing up the "feeding our families" crap), but most players go where teams value them the most based on the contracts that they offer.

2 hours ago, Utah John said:

good points.  Also, shouldn't your user name be Tennessee John? 

2 hours ago, MJS said:

I think a big part of contracts is just the "respect" component. What you get offered shows how a team values you. If you think you are a top player in the league at your position, you want to be valued that way by the organization you are playing for, and your contract is a direct representation of that. It's not just about the money, of course, but top players feel that they have earned a big contract and getting offered less is disrespectful.

So yeah, it isn't always just about securing their future financially (despite so many players bringing up the "feeding our families" crap), but most players go where teams value them the most based on the contracts that they offer.

Yes, that's another factor.  Some guys don't care so much about the actual money, but the money is like a report card with all A's on it.  For some guys, that's important.   For a guy like Brady, it wasn't.   For some guys, just winning is important.   For some guys, his legacy with the team is important.  There are a lot of factors that can affect the decision, depending on the guy.  That was really my point - it doesn't make sense to assume that the decision will be driven by money.  It may be, but maybe not. 

33 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Yes, that's another factor.  Some guys don't care so much about the actual money, but the money is like a report card with all A's on it.  For some guys, that's important.   For a guy like Brady, it wasn't.   For some guys, just winning is important.   For some guys, his legacy with the team is important.  There are a lot of factors that can affect the decision, depending on the guy.  That was really my point - it doesn't make sense to assume that the decision will be driven by money.  It may be, but maybe not. 

It usually is, though. Brady is a big exception to the rule, really. For most guys, getting a big contract is important to them for many different reasons, but yes, you do sometimes see players prioritize other things.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.