Another FYI: Email delivery....

SDS

So, not being an actual sysadmin, I haven't really been paying attention to two decades worth of evolving standard practices for email delivery, etc...

Yesterday, I'm pretty sure I got all my email config settings up to 2022 standards and there should be a lot less mail going out being stopped by ISPs.

YMMV.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

6 hours ago, RichStadiumGuy said:

Thanks... that probably has no bearing on the issue at hand but thanks anyhow in case it does!

I registered to join the fun here and I've been waiting for six weeks now to receive my "Approval email"... and it finally arrived this morning!

I offer a belated “WELCOME”!  

Word is some issues caused a very deep dive to be sure about you.  I can’t get into specifics.   But did you really……..?  

I kid! Welcome and if it’s IT related, I am NOT your guy! 

I am confident you will find the site to be well moderated and managed in general. 

37 minutes ago, WotAGuy said:

Please include all the gift cards that were attached to those 20 years of birthday cards.  

Maybe this is why @Gugny never got a card from @Chandler#81?!

Edited by chongli
  • Haha (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Augie said:

I offer a belated “WELCOME”!  

Word is some issues caused a very deep dive to be sure about you.  I can’t get into specifics.   But did you really……..?  

I kid! Welcome and if it’s IT related, I am NOT your guy! 

I am confident you will find the site to be well moderated and managed in general. 

Thanks for the Welcome Augie, if they discovered anything of significance between the late 60's and the mid 80's I hope they fill me in on it cuz that remains a pretty blurry time frame. As far as hitting you up for any IT stuff is concerned don't worry... I'm a retired "IT Guy". And finally... I've been lurking here ever since the lights went out at the old BBMB so I'm pretty familiar with life around here... I had a list of names compiled for my Ignore list before I signed up (you're not on it by the way!)

• Haha (+1) 2

On 7/6/2022 at 8:32 AM, SDS said:

So, not being an actual sysadmin, I haven't really been paying attention to two decades worth of evolving standard practices for email delivery, etc...

Yesterday, I'm pretty sure I got all my email config settings up to 2022 standards and there should be a lot less mail going out being stopped by ISPs.

YMMV.

This may have been a relatively new problem tbh. Microsoft has been changing the way it sends out email from many mass-email senders, relegating them to the equivalent of "spam" (leading to ISP blocks or mis-sorting). It has been going on for about a year but just 2 weeks ago they restricted it even further.

My businesses have had to switch to my own servers in order to receive sales reports, payroll reports, etc. Pretty annoying.

At least you don't process credit cards and have to deal with the encryption audits!

Hah, this made me check the email address I had attached to my account.  It was my old email from college that was turned off at least 15 years ago.

I updated it, and the confirmation email came through just fine.

1 minute ago, Comebackkid said:

Suddenly I started getting an email notice every time someone replied to a post out of the blue. I don't think it's one I've even commented on.  Any idea why?

you probably subscribed to that forum. Check for a button on the right hand side that says following just above the topic listings.

On 7/6/2022 at 12:21 PM, RichStadiumGuy said:

Thanks... that probably has no bearing on the issue at hand but thanks anyhow in case it does!

I registered to join the fun here and I've been waiting for six weeks now to receive my "Approval email"... and it finally arrived this morning!

2 posts and bithin already you'll fit right in

• Agree 1

16 minutes ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

2 posts and bithin already you'll fit right in

it’s a fair gripe. Approving new registrations is not the greatest thing when you have so many people from Pakistan registering.

• Haha (+1) 2

1 minute ago, SDS said:

Approving new registrations is not the greatest thing when you have so many people from Pakistan registering.

Reminds me of when I registered my wife's work website, and forgot to make it a private registration. Within minutes of it being registered, we received over 50 calls from India asking if we needed a website.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.