What are your thoughts regarding the future of the United States?

19 minutes ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

I believe the core of the problem is a concentration of power.  Big government.  The government is too powerful.  At the Federal, State, and in some situations such as large urban centers.  And when one side or the other gains control of this power they attempt to use it to push around people that have different views and opinions.  

Take away governments funding and they have no money or ability to push around American citizens regardless of their views.  Everybody minds their business and quarrels are private matters to be settled outside of the political arena.   

Central government vs. states rights has always been the crux of the matter. I can understand and empathize with the disdain for a strong centralized government and the restrictions that can come with that. We've seen it and lived it. Respectfully, it's also my opinion that many states in the union have a poor track record when it comes to protecting the rights of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness for all of its citizens. I'd love to believe that we could let each state handle a majority of issues, but our history tells me that is a very slippery slope. 

I see that you're also in favor of less powerful state and municipal governments as well? I guess I don't fully understand how that could work alongside a limited federal government. Are most things handled in the private sector at that point? And if so, how do we trust that the private sectors won't push their power around on people that have different views and opinions? 

2 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I take the time to write out how this is all supposed to work, and within minutes, the Board blows up with the usual cast of characters screaming at each other.  People need to take (or retake) a basic Government Class.  It would cure most of this.

I'm gonna bet that 99% of this board are Americans that graduated High School. So we've all taken a basic government class...but here we are. 

1 hour ago, MPL said:

Central government vs. states rights has always been the crux of the matter. I can understand and empathize with the disdain for a strong centralized government and the restrictions that can come with that. We've seen it and lived it. Respectfully, it's also my opinion that many states in the union have a poor track record when it comes to protecting the rights of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness for all of its citizens. I'd love to believe that we could let each state handle a majority of issues, but our history tells me that is a very slippery slope. 

I see that you're also in favor of less powerful state and municipal governments as well? I guess I don't fully understand how that could work alongside a limited federal government. Are most things handled in the private sector at that point? And if so, how do we trust that the private sectors won't push their power around on people that have different views and opinions? 

I should have been clearer.  I'm mostly referring to the endless list of rules and regulations issued by the administrative branch of government.  The 4th branch of our government.  The one that is granted no Constitutional rights or privileges but issues endless rules and regulations, restrictions and edicts all produced by an un-elected and unaccountable multitude of permanent and growing bureaucracies. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, unbillievable said:

Recent High School graduates will be well versed in how to rotate their gender identity on their driver's licenses.

Hey! Back in the day we used to change our date of birth with a ballpoint pen so we could get in the bars…but that was a self taught skill. There wasn’t a class.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

9 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

Andy, the Supreme Court is not there to make decisions based on what is popular with Americans. In fact, there job is the exact opposite. They're the branch that stands in the way of tyranny of the majority. It is the Legislative Branch that is rightfully concerned about the 'will of the people'....which is why they are called "representatives".  And this is exactly the reason why the Founding Fathers set the system up the way they did. The problem is not the Court. The problem is that the Legislature has gotten so concerned with getting re-elected that they keep kicking the can over to the Judiciary to make the tough decisions. The current Court is trying to fix that. To use a biblical reference, this is like Pilate and Herrod not wanting the make a judgement on the fate of Jesus.  Make sense?

I agree completely that popularity is not the rationale for their decisions. This court is forcing the legislative branch to legislate. It’s. Going to be interesting because for about as long as I can remember Congress tried to avoid making decisions. They were happy to designate some day as National Dairy Day but would avoid taking a vote on anything meaningful. Their sole purpose as elected officials had been to collect cash to get re-elected. This court is definitely changing that. 

When the SC sends decisions back to the states though, we may end up with widely varying laws between states. Deciding where to move to won’t just be what state has the best weather. People and corporations will need to consider many other factors that affect their quality of life. 

2 minutes ago, Andy1 said:

I agree completely that popularity is not the rationale for their decisions. This court is forcing the legislative branch to legislate. It’s. Going to be interesting because for about as long as I can remember Congress tried to avoid making decisions. They were happy to designate some day as National Dairy Day but would avoid taking a vote on anything meaningful. Their sole purpose as elected officials had been to collect cash to get re-elected. This court is definitely changing that. 

When the SC sends decisions back to the states though, we may end up with widely varying laws between states. Deciding where to move to won’t just be what state has the best weather. People and corporations will need to consider many other factors that affect their quality of life. 

Very well said. That’s exactly how this country is supposed to work. People will move just like they do now. You’ve grown up with it. We all have. You just don’t pay any attention to it. Nevada, for example, had legalized gambling. Many states had a different drinking age…etc. And there are literally millions of people and companies relocating for tax purposes. 

Do we put enough emphasis on raising kids in America?  What it means to be a mom and dad? 

Or does our "pop culture" (neither popular or culture) promote parents as morons and the kids know everything just shut up and stare at your phone....

This all ends well