JA reveals two key improvements for 2022

BillsFan619

1. Limiting turnovers (surprisingly, he had a career high in INTs last season with 15)

2. Better ball placement so his WRs will have a chance at a better YAC average

I love that he’s already one of the best (and is predicted to be in the running for MVP again this year) and he still wants to continue to improve.

The greats know that it not only takes a lot to be the best, it takes a lot to stay the best. Glad that JA has this mentality.

Go Bills!

https://clutchpoints.com/bills-news-josh-allen-reveals-2-key-improvements-for-2022-that-should-scare-the-nfl/

• Like (+1) 8
  • Awesome! (+1) 9

He basically said that about YAC last year too.  Working on ball placement on in breaking routes so the WR can get up field quicker and rack up more YAC. 

If you believe in PFF stats his turnover worthy play percentage was less in 2021 (3.3%) than 2020 (3.5%).  DB's just didn't drop as many potential INT's last year.

Love to hear this from JA.  The kid works hard every year to be better and better.  I don't think it's possible to be any more excited for an upcoming season as I am for this one.  

One question I have regarding Allen is, as excellent and lethal of a runner he's proving to be, because he's never been more valuable to this team then he is today, will we see significantly less called QB runs?  I don't think it can be underestimated how back-breaking his runs have been to opposing defenses.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, smuvtalker said:

Love to hear this from JA.  The kid works hard every year to be better and better.  I don't think it's possible to be any more excited for an upcoming season as I am for this one.  

One question I have regarding Allen is, as excellent and lethal of a runner he's proving to be, because he's never been more valuable to this team then he is today, will we see significantly less called QB runs?  I don't think it can be underestimated how back-breaking his runs have been to opposing defenses.

I would hope the Bills can get better running the ball with Singletary so Allen doesn't have to run as much as those shots can take their toll. Plus Allen throwing the ball is the Bills biggest weapon. Now if a play breaks down and Allen has to run then go for it. I would also add in the playoffs then everything should be on the table including Allen running as they are trying to close the deal on a Super Bowl championship. Over a long 17 game season I would prefer Singletary doing the heavy lifting when it comes to running the ball.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

This has been discussed, videos of Allen talking about this and has poured over by talking heads since Kelsey caught the TD pass. 

Not news at all.

Come on July 24th! You can’t get here soon enough!

You made my day, Chandler, because I mistakenly thought camp opened on the 28th.

You shaved off 4 days.  Three weeks, baby, three weeks!

• Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, BillsFan619 said:

1. Limiting turnovers (surprisingly, he had a career high in INTs last season with 15)

2. Better ball placement so his WRs will have a chance at a better YAC average

I love that he’s already one of the best (and is predicted to be in the running for MVP again this year) and he still wants to continue to improve.

The greats know that it not only takes a lot to be the best, it takes a lot to stay the best. Glad that JA has this mentality.

Go Bills!

https://clutchpoints.com/bills-news-josh-allen-reveals-2-key-improvements-for-2022-that-should-scare-the-nfl/

Nice. Dude should have been to back to back afc title gms at least and still grinding like a rookie. This is what makes him so special.  

Without this mentality to be able to believe in himself ,put it in the work and his leadership is what makes him so special.  Without it, all his amazing natural physical abilities wouldn't translate like it has.

8 hours ago, Limeaid said:

He is a California boy who was a 49ers fan.

I would not be surprised if he had a conversation with Jerry Rice who said you needed to work on making yourself better every day.

Jerry-Rice.png

Allen was 8 when Rice retired, am not sure that he talked with him. 

9 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

He basically said that about YAC last year too.  Working on ball placement on in breaking routes so the WR can get up field quicker and rack up more YAC. 

If you believe in PFF stats his turnover worthy play percentage was less in 2021 (3.3%) than 2020 (3.5%).  DB's just didn't drop as many potential INT's last year.

If you watch the games, the YAC is not about ball placement or even the WR skill level.  It is the routes that are called.  He places the ball just fine.  They throw a lot of sideline out patterns.  He scrambles a lot and that means guys are trying to find soft areas in the zone facing the QB.  The one notable exception off the top of my head was KC regular season game where JA scramble right and hit's Knox down the sideline running away from JA and he scores a TD.

This YAC issue is a non-issue for me.  

I want to see more two TE sets from the offense, more effective running, less JA running until the playoffs, and never want to see Gilliam or Sweeney on the field.  And preferably very little Kumerow either.  

It's a safe assumption that given his competitiveness, Josh wants to be in the Hall Of Fame.  To do that, he's going to have to keep improving every year and adapting to what defenses throw at him.  He reminds me of Andre Reed, who said that he would go into each new season with something to improve.  Whether it was route running, foot placement, eye-hand coordination, RAC, film study, tricks to help him get off the line and get separation, etc.  He was obsessive about it, but that's why he made the Hall Of Fame.  Bruce Smith said:  "Do you want to know the secret to making the Hall Of Fame?  There is no secret."  It's hard work and discipline, day in and day out, year in and year out. 

Fortunately Josh has HOF players like Bruce and Jimbo around him constantly, so they can help him stay focused.  This is especially important considering that the number of distractions in 2022 are a lot higher than in the 90's. 

I think he's got what it takes.   

49 minutes ago, gobillsinytown said:

It's a safe assumption that given his competitiveness, Josh wants to be in the Hall Of Fame.  To do that, he's going to have to keep improving every year and adapting to what defenses throw at him.  He reminds me of Andre Reed, who said that he would go into each new season with something to improve.  Whether it was route running, foot placement, eye-hand coordination, RAC, film study, tricks to help him get off the line and get separation, etc.  He was obsessive about it, but that's why he made the Hall Of Fame.  Bruce Smith said:  "Do you want to know the secret to making the Hall Of Fame?  There is no secret."  It's hard work and discipline, day in and day out, year in and year out. 

Fortunately Josh has HOF players like Bruce and Jimbo around him constantly, so they can help him stay focused.  This is especially important considering that the number of distractions in 2022 are a lot higher than in the 90's. 

I think he's got what it takes.   

The one thing that Bruce and Thurman and Reed and Jimbo and others had which Josh does not have is a top of the line Strength and Conditioning coach like Rusty Jones.   At the time he was ahead of everyone in the business and the best decision Hank Bullough ever made was hiring him.

The Bills do however have one of the best exercise & training facilities in the league.  Football nutrition has come a long ways from our Superbowl years with many of the advances coming from Rusty.   Josh does seem to have his head on a bit straighter than Jimbo with the passion of Thurman who never forgot being passed by.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.