Mass Shooting in the Chicago Area

T&C

11 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Does Chicago really depend on tourism like a lot of other places?  Maybe a little.  I always thought of the area as a place to live and work... You want to be a tourist, you go elsewhere. Unless you wanna see downtown. 

So many better places to go to.

My girlfriend and I had an absolutely fantastic time in Chicago last October.  Loved it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

27 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Practically identical situation to the Buffalo shooter. Red flag laws need to be strengthened everywhere. A 22 year old with a history of death threats has no business obtaining a gun legally. These things are preventable.

Yowza... that Is pretty scary alright. Agree on the red flag laws, wonder if its a lack of training or actual resources.

29 minutes ago, Gugny said:

My girlfriend and I had an absolutely fantastic time in Chicago last October.  Loved it.

DITTO. I have a gf who was born and raised there, stewardess for Southwest airlines out of Midway. I visited her and received the grand tour. We had an absolute blast. My fav was the mosaics stained glass museum on Navy Pier. It was breathtaking.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Gugny said:

We were in Chicago for a wedding right before the opener last season. Absolutely lovely downtown and a lot to see an easy walk from the Hyatt Regency downtown on the water. LOVED the architectural boat tour. It was SO MUCH cleaner and nicer than most of Manhattan it was hard to believe! 

Now, if only they could stop shooting each other. Every big city is dangerous to some extent, but Chicago has a reputation for a reason. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, Augie said:

We were in Chicago for a wedding right before the opener last season. Absolutely lovely downtown and a lot to see an easy walk from the Hyatt Regency downtown on the water. LOVED the architectural boat tour. I was SO MUCH cleaner and nicer than most of Manhattan it was hard to believe! 

Now, if only they could stop shooting each other. Every big city is dangerous to some extent, but Chicago has a reputation for a reason. 

From what I've read over the years, Chicago razed a number of housing projects years ago which had the unexpected consequences of fragmenting and widely dispersing gangs across South Chicago.  There is minimal organization and tiny, but ever moving territories.  Its been a recipe for crazy gang related violence since.  Of course, the violence is usually confined to neighborhoods which most Chicagoans and tourists would never have a reason to visit but that doesn't make it less of an issue.  

https://greatcities.uic.edu/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/The_Fracturing_of_Gangs_and_Violence_in_Chicago.pdf

• Like (+1) 2

51 minutes ago, Augie said:

We were in Chicago for a wedding right before the opener last season. Absolutely lovely downtown and a lot to see an easy walk from the Hyatt Regency downtown on the water. LOVED the architectural boat tour. I was SO MUCH cleaner and nicer than most of Manhattan it was hard to believe! 

Goes back to the Capone days. Even before that,  the agrarian days.  Gangster and guns... Political machine, etc... 

There's still a mixing of rural/country agrarian values too w/city. There are still places where it's perfectly legal to hunt in Chicago... And yes, on SouthSide, but not the media hyped places.  LoL...

It's an arms race out there.  People can easily obtain guns for protection, outdoors/sportsman activities, etc... And close... Even just miles away.

You know what's really beyond messed up?

"Irina and Kevin McCarthy were among the dead victims identified Tuesday. The couple had brought their toddler son to the parade, according to a neighbor, Adrienne Rosenblatt. The boy was found alone after the shooting. Rosenblatt said she recognized him in an online notice and showed it to the boy's grandparents, who brought the boy home from the police station. “It’s just sad,” Rosenblatt said, adding, “Do you call him an orphan?” "

How ***** -ing sad is this story! 😞 

• Sad 4

2 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Goes back to the Capone days. Even before that,  the agrarian days.  Gangster and guns... Political machine, etc... 

There's still a mixing of rural/country agrarian values too w/city. There are still places where it's perfectly legal to hunt in Chicago... And yes, on SouthSide, but not the media hyped places.  LoL...

It's an arms race out there.  People can easily obtain guns for protection, outdoors/sportsman activities, etc... And close... Even just miles away.

And there is 3-D printing too. Its not the guns, its the people that use them. A knife on a counter won't kill anyone either.

2 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Yeah... But certain guns are more efficient.  Wipeout a whole pile of people on one impulse. The knife less efficient. 

A gun on a counter won't kill anyone either. 

4 hours ago, Augie said:

We were in Chicago for a wedding right before the opener last season. Absolutely lovely downtown and a lot to see an easy walk from the Hyatt Regency downtown on the water. LOVED the architectural boat tour. It was SO MUCH cleaner and nicer than most of Manhattan it was hard to believe! 

I think NYC/Manhattan is the greatest place on earth.  I LOVE it.  But after being in Chicago (my most recent trip was my second), I've always said that Chicago was as if someone took a vacuum cleaner to NYC.  Such a cleaner city, as you said!!  And the architectural boat tour was definitely a highlight for us, too! 

• Like (+1) 2

This is honestly what I would do to mass murderers in this country… 

I am 100% for due process in this country but screw them

The day we have them… Take them to the biggest tree in the park and hang them by the neck till their dead And put it on television 

Guaranteed it will go down… the amount of attack’s 

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

33 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

The day we have them… Take them to the biggest tree in the park and hang them by the neck till their dead And put it on television 

So, maybe 99%?

• Haha (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

My idea was feeding them into a tree chipper

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

You think it changed things or created more of a public circus? There's reasons why things were changed 90 years ago.

https://www.grunge.com/342564/this-was-the-last-public-execution-in-the-united-states/

the-last-public-execution-was-carried-ou

45 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Yep but what were the violent  crime percentages compared to now 

Probably worse.  The last public execution was a 26 year old guy that raped and murdered a 70 year old woman.

Gee the threat of a public hanging in Kentucky really deterred him... 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.