2022 USFL Championship, Stars vs Stallions, Fox 7:30p ET

PromoTheRobot

11 hours ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

I enjoyed the football of the USFL, especially when I  accepted that the QB play was going to be questionable at best. The QBs and reciever did get more cohesive during season but I definitely think that that outside the QB that the talent was pretty strong. I watched about 15 games total through the season and I must state the officiating was substantially better than NFL officiating, they seemed to only make calls they saw, not what they think they saw.

The officiating was pretty good. Good enough that the NFL hired 8 officials. Two things I really liked: 1) using a chip in the ball to determine placement. No more chain gang. 2) Review of all personal foul calls. They took back a few QB roughing calls in games. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

22 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

The majority of AAA baseball players are journeyman who have MLB experience or are on the cusp of the show 

Well, you have guys on the way up who will never get there, largely because they can't hit a curve ball, then you have guys who were big leaguers but are now on their way down at the end of their careers....and you have the guys who are on their way up and will arrive some day as good MLB players.

It's an interesting combination.  Not sure what the % breakdowns are.

I'm more familiar with American league hockey, where most guys on the team are simply not NHL caliber and never will be.  They might have a handful of NHL games played at the end of an 8 or 10 year minor league career.

8 hours ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

I don't know if it has been brought up and I didn't watch the game, but going on memory the Stars have tied the Bills for making it to 4 straight football championship games.

1983, 1984, 1985, 2022

I couldn't remember if Philly won any back in the 80's, but yeah, moving from Philly to Buffalo, I watched both, and teams were very similar - great coaching (Marv for Bills, obviously, and Jim Mora for Philly in the 80's, if I remember correctly), but never able to get over the hump......

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, bourbonboy said:

I couldn't remember if Philly won any back in the 80's, but yeah, moving from Philly to Buffalo, I watched both, and teams were very similar - great coaching (Marv for Bills, obviously, and Jim Mora for Philly in the 80's, if I remember correctly), but never able to get over the hump......

The Stars won it in '84 and '85. Marv was the head coach of the Chicago Blitz.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Re the Championship game:

"USFL's 1.52 million ranked 46th out of 63 primetime programs last week and sixth out of 11 on Fox. The network's MLB coverage saw 1.89 million viewers, for comparison.

There aren't great comparisons for the USFL with the revived XFL in 2020 and AAF in 2019, as neither league made it to its championship game. Thirteen of 20 XFL games did reportedly average more viewers than the USFL championship, though, including 10 of 12 games on broadcast television."

yikes

8 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Re the Championship game:

"USFL's 1.52 million ranked 46th out of 63 primetime programs last week and sixth out of 11 on Fox. The network's MLB coverage saw 1.89 million viewers, for comparison.

There aren't great comparisons for the USFL with the revived XFL in 2020 and AAF in 2019, as neither league made it to its championship game. Thirteen of 20 XFL games did reportedly average more viewers than the USFL championship, though, including 10 of 12 games on broadcast television."

yikes

As I stated I enjoyed it once I set my expectations of QB play lower. People who don't love football want high flying offenses and obviously QBs are needed for that. If there is not a way to get better QBs into their system they will not flourish. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

As I stated I enjoyed it once I set my expectations of QB play lower. People who don't love football want high flying offenses and obviously QBs are needed for that. If there is not a way to get better QBs into their system they will not flourish. 

Unless WEO works for Fox/NBC Sports programming, he's not the decider if the USFL comes back. Every indication from those networks says they are very pleased with how the ratings were. In fact I read 63% of ad spots have been already sold for USFL 2023.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Unless WEO works for Fox/NBC Sports programming, he's not the decider if the USFL comes back. Every indication from those networks says they are very pleased with how the ratings were. In fact I read 63% of ad spots have been already sold for USFL 2023.

I chose the word flourish purposely, survival can be had a lower level but I want either the XFL or the USFL to do well enough that we have quality football for years to come.

17 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Yeah, it doesn't need to be a prime time superstar program to survive. It just needs a niche to fill and it seems like they're finding it.

I want a Buffalo USFL franchise for the new Bills stadium or else where in Buffalo if PSE refuses to let a USFL team in. Maybe in a future music venue outdoor stadium downtown at Canalside at some point? I rather have that then Dinosaur exhibits and washed up rock singers that are dinosaurs themselves at the new Bills stadium. Buffalo has only the Buffalo Bisons IL Baseball in the Spring Summer season. The Buffalo Bills with PSL’s are television for a lot of Buffalo fans who are or will be priced out of professional football in Buffalo with PSL’s. Buffalo isn’t getting NBA, MLB or MLS throw the Buffalo fans a bone.

Pittsburgh has a USFL team with the major league Pittsburgh Pirates. Buffalo certainly can have one the USFL isn’t cost prohibitive for Buffalo and if Buffalo Bills fan is worried about affecting the Bills attendance different demo graphics of fan the NFL isn’t a working class fan base league anymore. It is upper middle to upper class fans now. Working class fans are priced out already they have been for a while and will continue to be that is why the Bills stadium is getting smaller. It isn’t like that no thrills new Bills stadium is really useful for more than football in my opinion. Go Bills! Let’s Go Buffalo 

On 7/7/2022 at 2:26 PM, PromoTheRobot said:

It seems like only yesterday that we heard that, since Vince McMahon put up 250 million of his own money, the XFL was going to be around for a while.  Instead, he chose the pandemic stoppage after a handful of weeks to cut his losses and bail out on an impending fiancial disaster---and his game had ratings at least as good as USFLs, which reached rock bottom before the "playoffs".

With so few viewers, it's hard to imagine how little they are commanding per ad spot.  Combine that with essentially zero gate money and merchandise sale cash and Fox will hang in there until their cut and run loss amount is reached.   At least costs are low: they pay these players nothing and that Div 1A college stadium is probably fairly cheap to rent.  If Fox has to send production crews and pay the costs to rent/staff 4 nearly empty stadiums every week, they will hemorrhage cash on this.

13 hours ago, Buffalo Super Fan said:

I want a Buffalo USFL franchise for the new Bills stadium or else where in Buffalo if PSE refuses to let a USFL team in. Maybe in a future music venue outdoor stadium downtown at Canalside at some point? I rather have that then Dinosaur exhibits and washed up rock singers that are dinosaurs themselves at the new Bills stadium. Buffalo has only the Buffalo Bisons IL Baseball in the Spring Summer season. The Buffalo Bills with PSL’s are television for a lot of Buffalo fans who are or will be priced out of professional football in Buffalo with PSL’s. Buffalo isn’t getting NBA, MLB or MLS throw the Buffalo fans a bone.

Pittsburgh has a USFL team with the major league Pittsburgh Pirates. Buffalo certainly can have one the USFL isn’t cost prohibitive for Buffalo and if Buffalo Bills fan is worried about affecting the Bills attendance different demo graphics of fan the NFL isn’t a working class fan base league anymore. It is upper middle to upper class fans now. Working class fans are priced out already they have been for a while and will continue to be that is why the Bills stadium is getting smaller. It isn’t like that no thrills new Bills stadium is really useful for more than football in my opinion. Go Bills! Let’s Go Buffalo 

wut....

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

It seems like only yesterday that we heard that, since Vince McMahon put up 250 million of his own money, the XFL was going to be around for a while.  Instead, he chose the pandemic stoppage after a handful of weeks to cut his losses and bail out on an impending fiancial disaster---and his game had ratings at least as good as USFLs, which reached rock bottom before the "playoffs".

With so few viewers, it's hard to imagine how little they are commanding per ad spot.  Combine that with essentially zero gate money and merchandise sale cash and Fox will hang in there until their cut and run loss amount is reached.   At least costs are low: they pay these players nothing and that Div 1A college stadium is probably fairly cheap to rent.  If Fox has to send production crews and pay the costs to rent/staff 4 nearly empty stadiums every week, they will hemorrhage cash on this.

wut....

Last I checked the XFL is still here. The pandemic isn't. 🤔

12 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

Last I checked the XFL is still here. The pandemic isn't. 🤔

You must have missed, while checking,  the part where McMahon cashed out of the XFL after 5 games.  He could have just restarted after the pandemic (like every other pro league did). Instead, the league went bankrupt.  Another fool with his money has bought the league.

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

You must have missed, while checking,  the part where McMahon cashed out of the XFL after 5 games.  He could have just restarted after the pandemic (like every other pro league did). Instead, the league went bankrupt.  Another fool with his money has bought the league.

Nope, you said that already. And your point is still moot.

Hello XFL. Goodbye pandemic. 👋 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.