USC and UCLA joining the Big Ten in 2024

YoloinOhio

19 hours ago, I am the egg man said:

There will still be punching bag teams in these super conferences who gladly cash in being such.

The majority of D-I College football teams are have nots and being pushed further from relevancy.

Good point.

Imo, the entire ACC other than Clemson are weak sisters (at least for the time being). It does appear that Miami might be good at some point but as I said previously, the current situation gives Clemson an unfair advantage.

9 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

Good point.

Imo, the entire ACC other than Clemson are weak sisters (at least for the time being). It does appear that Miami might be good at some point but as I said previously, the current situation gives Clemson an unfair advantage.

The Big Ten were the middle child of the ACC, Big Ten, Big 12 alliance.

That's what this move is about.  

Big Ten is trying to change their position, that's why they betrayed their alliance with the ACC.  Big Ten was conspiring to get into that second position of power behind SEC.   The Big Ten has been turning into Ohio State and the pips so even though it's terrible for the students.......financially it's a chance worth taking.    

Situation was reversed,  ACC would have done the same. 

What this really does is make it all but inevitable that there will eventually be one top league among the power teams.........with networks and streaming services bidding like they do on the NFL.

The sooner the better, IMO.

This whole "conference" thing is very unseemly.   It's been pro ball for decades now..........players just haven't been getting paid.  

Let all these greedy corporations disguising themselves as institutions of higher learning get exposed for what they are:  wholly profit driven businesses.

The upside.........maybe FOR ONCE the NFL will regret NOT doing something.:lol:

In this case.......NOT starting a "G League" style minor league.  You would be hard pressed to find a major business that has ever benefitted as much from hyper-conservative, wait-and-see decision making than the NFL.

But don't count the NFL out from eventually stealing it from these schools.  That's the thing these greedy f*cking schools don't realize........their strength is their numbers.   If it gets down to 30 teams or so........all bets are off..........because ultimately these players all have ONE THING in mind.    NFL careers.

Janice Hough

@leftcoastbabe

USC's press release about joining Big Ten. And Pres Foler typed this w/ straight face? "1 priority was to build student-centric athletics program deeply committed to ensuring all student-athletes can compete at highest level athletically & achieve at highest level academically."

10:43 PM · Jul 3, 2022·Twitter Web App

10 hours ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

Janice Hough

@leftcoastbabe

USC's press release about joining Big Ten. And Pres Foler typed this w/ straight face? "1 priority was to build student-centric athletics program deeply committed to ensuring all student-athletes can compete at highest level athletically & achieve at highest level academically."

10:43 PM · Jul 3, 2022·Twitter Web App

Well played by the PR team.......cut off criticism by claiming to have done it to BENEFIT the aspect that critics will be most likely to criticize them for.........in this case, the impact on the players.   

If anyone remembers, the SEC Commish, roughly 7-8 years ago, floated the idea of a 32 team super conference that would break away from the NCAA and have it's own playoffs and national championship.  I believe that is where they are headed and if the teams that are not in the SEC and B1G do not make a leverage move now to get in, they will be left out in the next few years.  This is a cash and power grab to push the NCAA completely out of the large superpowers of college football.  Now that NIL has broken the door down, the NCAA will be realized for how impotent it actually is.

So now it is all falling apart (or coming together depending on where you stand).

I hate this.  A big allure of NCAA Football to me (and to a lesser-extent, hoops), is the segmented regionalization and flavors of the different conferences and traditions.   Now it is being lit on fire.  Hopefully they get the new video game before it is ruined beyond repair, and provide the customization options to un-do the mess.

Maybe im in the minority, but since all these shifts started happening, my interest and consumption of NCAA football has gone way down.  To the point where I watch almost none of it at this point.  Around 2010, I preferred NCAA to NFL.

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 7/7/2022 at 3:11 PM, May Day 10 said:

So now it is all falling apart (or coming together depending on where you stand).

I hate this.  A big allure of NCAA Football to me (and to a lesser-extent, hoops), is the segmented regionalization and flavors of the different conferences and traditions.   Now it is being lit on fire.  Hopefully they get the new video game before it is ruined beyond repair, and provide the customization options to un-do the mess.

Maybe im in the minority, but since all these shifts started happening, my interest and consumption of NCAA football has gone way down.  To the point where I watch almost none of it at this point.  Around 2010, I preferred NCAA to NFL.

I can't decide if this is good or bad for G5 schools like UB. On the one hand, this relegates then downward to a minor status. Then again, they already were considered minor so what's the diff? Also, with the big boys out of the way, there could now be a G5 national playoff.

21 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I can't decide if this is good or bad for G5 schools like UB. On the one hand, this relegates then downward to a minor status. Then again, they already were considered minor so what's the diff? Also, with the big boys out of the way, there could now be a G5 national playoff.

I always was attracted to the premise that the program was a few good seasons, some money influx, good visionary AD, and some local excitement away from breaking into (what was) a 'major' conference (meaning the AAC or CUSA in their earlier forms), which could make them more relevant on a national stage.  As it is, they have had some good seasons and had good performances against Power-teams.

Now, that seems to be dead.  While they could have potentially joined with the Cincinnatis, the West Virginias, the Memphises, and the Houstons of the world.  Now those teams have jumped up into the big boys.  I would never delude myself that UB would be in the same conference as Clemson or Ohio State.    MAC seems like a decent home for now.

I guess with NIL, the fact that UB will not be a tenant at the new Bills' stadium, and the fact that they can never seem to get excitement/traction in the general public, UB would never take that next step at this point.  Why hang on?  Maybe a Mountain-West, Sunbelt, MAC, AAC, and CUSA playoff and separate ranking would be a fun and exciting thing?

I remember Bucky Gleason took some heat for the idea... but I wonder if UB decided to scrap its football program and go all-in on Basketball, if they could possibly grow into the upper-class of basketball schools and join a major conference that way.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, May Day 10 said:

I always was attracted to the premise that the program was a few good seasons, some money influx, good visionary AD, and some local excitement away from breaking into (what was) a 'major' conference (meaning the AAC or CUSA in their earlier forms), which could make them more relevant on a national stage.  As it is, they have had some good seasons and had good performances against Power-teams.

Now, that seems to be dead.  While they could have potentially joined with the Cincinnatis, the West Virginias, the Memphises, and the Houstons of the world.  Now those teams have jumped up into the big boys.  I would never delude myself that UB would be in the same conference as Clemson or Ohio State.    MAC seems like a decent home for now.

I guess with NIL, the fact that UB will not be a tenant at the new Bills' stadium, and the fact that they can never seem to get excitement/traction in the general public, UB would never take that next step at this point.  Why hang on?  Maybe a Mountain-West, Sunbelt, MAC, AAC, and CUSA playoff and separate ranking would be a fun and exciting thing?

I remember Bucky Gleason took some heat for the idea... but I wonder if UB decided to scrap its football program and go all-in on Basketball, if they could possibly grow into the upper-class of basketball schools and join a major conference that way.

Even the lesser schools in power conferences are in deep doo. I too thought UB could move up but this process set me straight. There are no football programs in the northeast, barring Syracuse, maybe Army, that the networks value.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

I thought that the Bulls' big chance was if the Bills ended up leaving town.  People might rush to create a lively tailgate scene and atmosphere to fill the void.    Probably would be an ACC school now (not sure what that even gets you at this point).

Edited by May Day 10

On 7/12/2022 at 4:52 PM, PromoTheRobot said:

Even the lesser schools in power conferences are in deep doo. I too thought UB could move up but this process set me straight. There are no football programs in the northeast, barring Syracuse, maybe Army, that the networks value.

The sports networks don’t value Syracuse Orange football they are a bigger pretender than UB Bulls in football. As a UB Bulls fan does it matter at the end of the day the power one or two conferences are triple a football Group of 5 to the NFL Power Conference. Again I don’t care about Georgia or Alabama. I am huge college football fan when FBS expanded into Buffalo UB Bulls. Again when you cut half the teams the interest will go down. You think someone in Syracuse is going to care about Alabama vs Georgia when Syracuse has been relegated to Group of 5 they will be just like UB Bulls. Again name the sport you get a silver trophy or bowl when one’s team wins a championship and it is how one feels about his or her own team that is why we are fans? 

Syracuse Orange had about as much of a chance winning a College Playoff National Football Championship as UB Bulls which is slim and none. That is truth reality for both Syracuse and UB today. Syracuse is struggling as a sports market overall there the smallest city in triple a baseball today. Again Syracuse can’t expand there base there boxed in. New York City is professional sports city like Buffalo. Again even Syracuse Orange basketball is limited market size wise with all the private Catholic schools that play college basketball in New York State.

Again I never followed Syracuse Orange basketball because I grew up with the Little Three basketball at the Buffalo AUD now Big Four basketball schools in Buffalo. I am a Canisius alum but a hardcore St Bonaventure Bonnies basketball and UB Bulls fan because there good and on television. The Bonnies have the best basketball level Western New York has to offer today in a multiple bid NCAA tournament conference Atlantic 10 conference. UB Bulls I consider a football school that I follow UB Bulls hardcore as a fan. Canisius and Niagara have downgraded there programs but I still follow them too. Army isn’t joining a power conference. Sure Army is a national brand but they struggle against UB today in athletics. 

UB Bulls football is fun going and winning two minor bowl games it is the experience that isn’t changing with Super Power Conference. The reality is the travel cost is so cheap in the MAC UB Bulls will be fine. UB Bulls are healthy than the Buffalo Bills. Because UB Bulls football tickets are $125 for the season with free parking. Wait until the new Bills stadium opens UB Bulls football is going to look even better for Western New York families that want to see a football game in person without PSL’s. The Buffalo Bills can’t offer that in today’s NFL reasonable ticket prices in my opinion. UB Horns Up! Go Bulls! Go Bills! Let’s Go Buffalo 

As a fan of a G5 program,  all I can do is laugh at what's going on.  Break out the tiny violins for the former P5 schools getting relegated by the SEC and B1G Ten. Sucks, don't it. Meanwhile the MAC is just gonna keep on keepin' on Tuesday and Wednesday nights. #MACtion

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.