Marv interview on One Bills Live

TC in St. Louis

On 7/2/2022 at 10:33 PM, klos63 said:

Norwood missing the FG was the main reason.

D missed multiple tackles at crucial times , at one point I think 5-6 guys hit and failed to wrap up a wide receiver on a critical third and long ( pretty sure Talley and Bennett and a couple of corners / a safety also whiffed on that play ) and it led to a go ahead td. Bruce failing to get a safety / or fumble early in the game allowing Hostetler to escape ( Bruce admitted this several times, plus we allowed a back up qb to beat us along with being unable to stop Anderson )  is another of the things  that should have happened and were usually/ probably statistically easier than a relatively long ( at that time , ‘91, ) fg with the clock expiring and Super Bowl title at stake.   Plus during that last drive they ( Bills ) mismanaged the clock some and I believe Thurman has talked about that and stated they should have run one more play ( or he went down earlier than he could have , sorry my memory is fading as I turn 65 on 7/30!) and they could / should have gotten a few yards closer. Norwood had been struggling during the last few games ( hence Christy coming in the next year, ending Norwoods career) as well, so those few extra yards were important, and the time management issue was either on the O or coaching staff. 

Yes, Norwoood was to blame ultimately for missing the kick , but it was a team underperforming ( after dropping 51 on the Raiders 2 weeks earlier ) that caused them to be in that position in the first place. They were out coached , and the guys like Bennett, Kelly , etc also admitted to being out enjoying the Tampa nightlife the night before as well. You know all this , so imho it’s hard to blame Norwood as the “ main” reason for that loss. Bills were the better team , having beaten the Giants earlier in the regular season as well, so it was a culmination of crap, not just that missed kick that cost them the win. If he had made the FG, would you say then he was the main reason for winning?  I would bet against people saying that. Just like 13 seconds, hard to blame on one person ( as Wallace has been scapegoated quite a bit, or the special teams coach) when things fall apart and turn an almost certain W to an L !  😉🥲. Lol !  Probably the two worst memories ( music city miracle is right there too ) in Bills history. Have a good 4 th tho ! 🍸🍸

15 hours ago, DrPJax said:

D missed multiple tackles at crucial times , at one point I think 5-6 guys hit and failed to wrap up a wide receiver on a critical third and long ( pretty sure Talley and Bennett and a couple of corners / a safety also whiffed on that play ) and it led to a go ahead td. Bruce failing to get a safety / or fumble early in the game allowing Hostetler to escape ( Bruce admitted this several times, plus we allowed a back up qb to beat us along with being unable to stop Anderson )  is another of the things  that should have happened and were usually/ probably statistically easier than a relatively long ( at that time , ‘91, ) fg with the clock expiring and Super Bowl title at stake.   Plus during that last drive they ( Bills ) mismanaged the clock some and I believe Thurman has talked about that and stated they should have run one more play ( or he went down earlier than he could have , sorry my memory is fading as I turn 65 on 7/30!) and they could / should have gotten a few yards closer. Norwood had been struggling during the last few games ( hence Christy coming in the next year, ending Norwoods career) as well, so those few extra yards were important, and the time management issue was either on the O or coaching staff. 

Yes, Norwoood was to blame ultimately for missing the kick , but it was a team underperforming ( after dropping 51 on the Raiders 2 weeks earlier ) that caused them to be in that position in the first place. They were out coached , and the guys like Bennett, Kelly , etc also admitted to being out enjoying the Tampa nightlife the night before as well. You know all this , so imho it’s hard to blame Norwood as the “ main” reason for that loss. Bills were the better team , having beaten the Giants earlier in the regular season as well, so it was a culmination of crap, not just that missed kick that cost them the win. If he had made the FG, would you say then he was the main reason for winning?  I would bet against people saying that. Just like 13 seconds, hard to blame on one person ( as Wallace has been scapegoated quite a bit, or the special teams coach) when things fall apart and turn an almost certain W to an L !  😉🥲. Lol !  Probably the two worst memories ( music city miracle is right there too ) in Bills history. Have a good 4 th tho ! 🍸🍸

It wasn't my intent to get into a big thing , but yeah, Norwood would be the hero if we won, along with Thurman.

16 hours ago, DrPJax said:

Norwood didn’t make a kick from that distance on grass the entire year 

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.