Kim Pegula Progressing Well

Dablitzkrieg

5 minutes ago, JoeF said:

Is football a team game, like baseball?  I could see Kim playing the Al Capone role from the Untouchables when she is off the Injury list.  

What a terrible movie.  I'm a huge DeNiro and Mafia movies fan but this was more Unwatchable than Untouchable.  

Edited by Royale with Cheese
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

2 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Great response.  I really appreciate the thoughtful discussion.   I think you're right in theory, and I agree with you, but the Pegulas are living in the real world, not a theoretical world. 

Yes, it's great that the Pegulas may be modeling the right behavior and asking everyone who's interested in this stuff to grow up and behave the way we should.  I agree with that.  But in a retail business, and they for sure are in a retail business, do you succeed by giving people what you think they need or by giving them what they want?    Amazon gives me what I want, and I come back.  My local cable company gives me what they think I should want, and I'm ready to dump them.  That's why I said "if I were their public relations person."  The practical reality for someone in their position is that this is a public relations issue.   It's all well and good for them to teach us to behave in ways we don't normally behave, but that isn't good public relations.   On the other hand, at some point there's a limit, and they are at the limit - there are some things that are just personal and that's it.  

As I said, I think the solution is to be smarter about the public relations and still say there's a limit.   That is, just be a little more more active in saying something, even if that something is "there's nothing new to report, and please continue to respect our privacy."

And I have not at all missed the point that you're never going to satisfy all the people.   But I'd guess there are 500,000 people who are very interested in what's going on because they care about Kim.  I know that as the days turned into a week or more without news, I began coming here more often, because I was worried and was getting anxious.   By just being a little active giving news, even if it's "no news," they ease the minds of a lot of those people.   That would meet the needs of at least a couple hundred thousand people, without in any way violating their privacy.  Yes, some other people will be idiots about it, but a good PR person knows he isn't going to win over everyone.   

Terry's a big boy.   He's used to making hard decisions, and he's used to taking advice.   I'm surprised the Bills' PR people aren't suggesting, once every four or five days, a simple statement.   Having said that, it truly is a personal decision, so who knows how Terry is feeling right now?   Or Kim?   One of them may be saying "absolutely no."   

I agree it is a good discussion; thanks.  

I understand what you’re saying and we’re not far off.  I don’t totally agree on the retail business stuff only because there are a lot of parallels there could be used as similar examples pointing in another direction.  For decades some businesses hired only white guys.  They weren’t really racist but thought their customers wouldn’t do business with a minority or a woman.  This didn’t make it right.  Obviously this is not the same thing but there is a comparison.  Doing the “wrong thing” because it might be better for business can be a slippery slope.  

Maybe it’s something like that or something different like being self conscious of the condition.  Norm McDonald just died after battling cancer for almost a decade.  Nobody knew.  It didn’t make it right or wrong for him to resist disclosure…..it was his choice for his reasons.  In fact it may have helped him have the type of life and interactions he enjoyed for years.  Or maybe he missed out on people saying goodbye.  He decided.

6 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

What a terrible movie.  I'm a huge DeNiro and Mafia movies fan but this was more Unwatchable than Untouchable.  

I wholeheartedly disagree with you.  This was a great movie, IMO.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Much, much better mafia movie.

Since I guess we're technically brothers now, I'll be nice and bring this conversation to a quiet end.  Because we are family.

I really don't like celebrity culture, it's weird, gross and makes people feel like they need to be something that they can never achieve because only the good or bad stuff is ever talked about (we're all shades of grey). Basically what social media has become in terms of people feeling they need to reach of unachievable standard that they see others reaching, but they themselves always fall short.

Additionally, I personally feel empathy for anyone I hear as being in the hospital and their family. I don't know if it is the case here, think it's weird that people would value one person as more worthy of empathy than another, based on their bank account. I don't think that's true either, the people who were shot in Tops didnt have a bunch of money, but recevived a lot of empathy because a lot of people heard about it. Basically, I think people feel empathy when they hear about someone in an awful situation (excluding those that knowingly send a pitchfork and torch weilding crowd to go after "windmills and monsters" which shows that they are in fact the real monsters...like what happens in Frankenstein or Beauty and the Beast).

So I don't know...because of her platform a lot of people heard about it, so a lot are feeling empathy. I personally feel more angst for the people that had the same thing happen to them, but did not have access to health care and died as a result (assuming that was on the table here).

Equally random people to me, their lives have equal value to me, I'd feel equally empathetic if I heard of either passing away or being injured. So knowing the news is causing an empathetic reaction in a lot of people a reason to give updates? Nah, not if it is a matter of someone who is directly involved feeling better or more in control vs someone experiencing adjacent unrequested empathy, especially if that empathy is a result of toxic celebrity culturem 

Also, lol at the people saying we have an expectation of privacy...pretty sure we just recently found out that is very much not the case sadly.

28 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

I agree it is a good discussion; thanks.  

I understand what you’re saying and we’re not far off.  I don’t totally agree on the retail business stuff only because there are a lot of parallels there could be used as similar examples pointing in another direction.  For decades some businesses hired only white guys.  They weren’t really racist but thought their customers wouldn’t do business with a minority or a woman.  This didn’t make it right.  Obviously this is not the same thing but there is a comparison.  Doing the “wrong thing” because it might be better for business can be a slippery slope.  

Maybe it’s something like that or something different like being self conscious of the condition.  Norm McDonald just died after battling cancer for almost a decade.  Nobody knew.  It didn’t make it right or wrong for him to resist disclosure…..it was his choice for his reasons.  In fact it may have helped him have the type of life and interactions he enjoyed for years.  Or maybe he missed out on people saying goodbye.  He decided.

Norm McDonald is a good example.   And Chadwick Boseman.   But I'd say there's a difference between not disclosing at all, which I think that is what they did, and disclosing something that sounds ominous and then not following up.  

And Bruce Willis, whose family finally disclosed, and although he hasn't died, they disclosed enough to say "here's the problem, he's retired, and we aren't saying more."  There's some finality to that, no follow-up necessary.   

Pegulas just left me hanging without a follow-up when I think a follow-up was necessary.   

I get in these discussions because they're interesting to me.   Do I think less of the Pegulas because I didn't hear for a week and a half?  Of course not.   When Kim is healthy and has been back to work for a couple of years, if I had the opportunity to talk to Terry about this, he might say, "yeah it probably would have been better your way," or he might say "no, we did the way we did and we were happy with that."   Either answer would be okay with that. 

I think it's interesting that their daughter gave more information than the family release.   That also suggests to me that they don't have their communication strategy about this under control.  I would expect that the kids would have been told not say anything about it publicly.  

Whatever.  It's all incidental.   It all sounds like it's generally good news.   She's a young woman, in good shape, and no doubt she's getting great medical care.  I'm looking forward to seeing her back on the job.   

1 hour ago, Jauronimo said:

Mafia means family to us!  And not something to do with violence or organized crime which is just preposterous.

Where else does "mafia" mean "family"?

Anyone who hears the word "mafia" thinks of "the mafia", which is all about organized crime.

2 minutes ago, Bad Things said:

Where else does "mafia" mean "family"?

Anyone who hears the word "mafia" thinks of "the mafia", which is all about organized crime.

But are they really that organized.  I feel like they all end up getting caught because they make mistakes.

11 minutes ago, Gugny said:

But are they really that organized.  I feel like they all end up getting caught because they make mistakes.

Isn't that Survivor Bias, just flipped...you only hear about the ones that got caught and make mistakes?

Like saying we need more armor on the wings of planes that came back in WWII with holes. Actually, no, that is exactly where you don't need more armor...the places you need more armor can be found on the planes that got shot down.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I dunno, Gugny. Do you really want to go there?  Irritate the wrong folks and they introduce you to Jimmy Hoffa.

Edited by Dr. Who

2 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

I dunno, Gugny. Do you really want to go there?  Irritate the wrong folks and they introduce you to Jimmy Hoffa.

I have no worries.  I'm a made man.

Don't ask me what I'm made for, though.

• Haha (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, HardyBoy said:

I really don't like celebrity culture, it's weird, gross and makes people feel like they need to be something that they can never achieve because only the good or bad stuff is ever talked about (we're all shades of grey). Basically what social media has become in terms of people feeling they need to reach of unachievable standard that they see others reaching, but they themselves always fall short.

Additionally, I personally feel empathy for anyone I hear as being in the hospital and their family. I don't know if it is the case here, think it's weird that people would value one person as more worthy of empathy than another, based on their bank account. I don't think that's true either, the people who were shot in Tops didnt have a bunch of money, but recevived a lot of empathy because a lot of people heard about it. Basically, I think people feel empathy when they hear about someone in an awful situation (excluding those that knowingly send a pitchfork and torch weilding crowd to go after "windmills and monsters" which shows that they are in fact the real monsters...like what happens in Frankenstein or Beauty and the Beast).

So I don't know...because of her platform a lot of people heard about it, so a lot are feeling empathy. I personally feel more angst for the people that had the same thing happen to them, but did not have access to health care and died as a result (assuming that was on the table here).

Equally random people to me, their lives have equal value to me, I'd feel equally empathetic if I heard of either passing away or being injured. So knowing the news is causing an empathetic reaction in a lot of people a reason to give updates? Nah, not if it is a matter of someone who is directly involved feeling better or more in control vs someone experiencing adjacent unrequested empathy, especially if that empathy is a result of toxic celebrity culturem 

Also, lol at the people saying we have an expectation of privacy...pretty sure we just recently found out that is very much not the case sadly.

Excuse me, do you need directions to the Unpopular Opinions thread?  :)

I kid! I kid!!!

I don’t see Kim as being part of the celebrity culture. She’s no Kardashian! She didn’t seek attention, it just comes with her high profile.

I don’t classify people based upon how well known they are, or how wealthy they are. A soul is a soul, and we all have families and loved ones. Kim is special to me because she played a large role in keeping the Bills in WNY. That matters to me. What matters more is that in assuming her current role, we all got to know her a little bit. She seems to be an incredibly likable person. 

My heart was broken for all the families and friends affected by the Tops shooting. Completely! But I knew nothing of them before that awful day. That takes NOTHING away from their importance, but Kim is different. Not better or worse, just different.  

I hope that came out the way I felt it in my mind. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, teef said:

i get it.  we all appreciate the pegulas...espeically kim, but this level of involvement is getting a bit too much for me.  we all have our own problems.  i wish her luck and that she gets better, but i'm not sure how anyone puts more mental time into it than that.  i'm sure she'd feel the same way concerning any of us.

when I come here to the board I check for statuses on her condition. And seeing her name prompts me to send a prayer up for her.  Excuse the poor analogy but I doubt anyone is sitting shiva for Kim Pegula here at 2bd. Way too invested maybe in 2bd though but not her specifically. 🙂

Not to quibble over your thoughts being valid or not Im just sharing a different perspective.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, muppy said:

when I come here to the board I check for statuses on her condition. And seeing her name prompts me to send a prayer up for her.  Excuse the poor analogy but I doubt anyone is sitting shiva for Kim Pegula here at 2bd. Way too invested maybe in 2bd though but not her specifically. 🙂

Not to quibble over your thoughts being valid or not Im just sharing a different perspective.

Absolutely…and it’s a good perspective.