Kim Pegula Progressing Well

Dablitzkrieg

I respect the families wishes. Having a statement with any update is welcome news of course! 

I think if my family member was dealing with a health emergency the last thing Id want to do is be giving press conferences about it before the time was right OR before it is medically appropriate.  Medical treatment ongoing, intervention, whatever is necessary. Clearly money is no option

God Speed Kim!  Healing thoughts and prayers to the fullest for you from your bills family

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Not specific to her, but in general, can that also happen from long plane ride or long anything not moving around legs much?  Person I worked some years back with was on a 10 hour or so plane ride, 3 days later he was dead.  He also was a heavy smoker and drinker which doesn't help.  Never heard an official cause of death for him. But didn't stop people from speculating! LOL

Ed, yes, to answer shortly.  This is why when I’m a long plane ride as you’re describing, you never sit still in you’re seat for a 10-15 hr. Ride.  You get up and move around.  You go to the bathroom or even walk to back of the plane and back.  Movement keeps clots from forming in the leg.  It’s basically deep vein thrombosis.  If the clot migrates north, it can dangerously move to the lungs which is pulmonary thrombosis, or to the brain and called a Hemorrhagic Stroke.

I spent a couple of years supporting carotid stent cases which is for non carotid endartectomies.  Vascular surgeons, do the endartectomies, whereas stents are done by the following specialties, IR’s, NIR’s (the brain guys), IC’s, and Vascular Surgeons.  It’s a fun case to support.  They actually don’t take that long.

So Ed, if you’re ever on a long ars plane ride, move around.  We adopted my daughter from China, so that was a fun 18 hr ride from San Fran to Hong Kong.  That was after a 1 hr. Ride from Tampa to Atlanta, and a 6 hr. Ride from ATL, to San Fran.  It was worth it as my daughter is my Princess Mulan.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

1 hour ago, machine gun kelly said:

I wouldn’t speculate as it could be just about anything.  She’s too young most likely to stroke.  There are two kinds of stroke.  Ischemic and Hemorrhagic.

The first is from plaque in the arteries and usually smokers and diabetics.  They are also typically pretty old and Kim is in her mid 50’s.

Hemorrhagic is as you’d guess from blood clots.  That’s possible, but unlikely unless she was maybe in a car accident and the clot formed in her leg and then migrated to the brain.

Basically there are so many reasons people are hospitalized.  She most likely has the best medical care and probably has a home health nurse visiting her each day.

Im just glad she’s doing well and wish her a speedy recovery.

Incorrect.

First off, age is a risk factor, but doesn't rule out younger people. I cared for a 32 yr old last month who had a stroke. I also read an article recently about a kid in high school who had a stroke while at school. There are many factors that can increase likelihood. For women, birth control medications is a common risk factor. 

Hemorrhagic stroke = a brain bleed. Ie: a vessel ruptured causing bleeding in the brain. The prefix of "hemorrhagic" is from hemorrhage which means bleeding from a ruptured vessel.

Ischemic stroke = a blockage of sort. Ie: a blood clot traveled to the brain blocking flow of blood to a section of the brain. The word "Ischemic" means lack of blood flow. 

If I had to bet, I'm guessing she suffered a stroke. This would entail a stay in the ICU and could mean rehab if it was severe enough that she lost use a side of her body, difficulty speaking/swallowing, etc...

Edited by Herc11
  • Like (+1) 3

37 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Not specific to her, but in general, can that also happen from long plane ride or long anything not moving around legs much?  Person I worked some years back with was on a 10 hour or so plane ride, 3 days later he was dead.  He also was a heavy smoker and drinker which doesn't help.  Never heard an official cause of death for him. But didn't stop people from speculating! LOL

Yes. Blood flows in your arteries, because it is being pushed by your heart. It then travels to capillaries and into the venous system. Veins don't have a pump like the heart directly pushing the blood. In your extremities, especially the legs, your muscles contracting are what push the blood to return to your heart. 

With that said, when you are not moving, the blood tends to pool in the extremities especially the lower legs when you are sitting. Stagnate blood can form a thrombus (blood clot). If that blood clot breaks loose and travels, its now called an emboli, which can travel to your lungs and kill you within minutes. 

Emboli can also travel to your brain causing an ishemic stroke.

31 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

Ed, yes, to answer shortly.  This is why when I’m a long plane ride as you’re describing, you never sit still in you’re seat for a 10-15 hr. Ride.  You get up and move around.  You go to the bathroom or even walk to back of the plane and back.  Movement keeps clots from forming in the leg.  It’s basically deep vein thrombosis.  If the clot migrates north, it can dangerously move to the lungs which is pulmonary thrombosis, or to the brain and called a Hemorrhagic Stroke.

I spent a couple of years supporting carotid stent cases which is for non carotid endartectomies.  Vascular surgeons, do the endartectomies, whereas stents are done by the following specialties, IR’s, NIR’s (the brain guys), IC’s, and Vascular Surgeons.  It’s a fun case to support.  They actually don’t take that long.

So Ed, if you’re ever on a long ars plane ride, move around.  We adopted my daughter from China, so that was a fun 18 hr ride from San Fran to Hong Kong.  That was after a 1 hr. Ride from Tampa to Atlanta, and a 6 hr. Ride from ATL, to San Fran.  It was worth it as my daughter is my Princess Mulan.  

Not pulmonary thrombosis, its a pulmonary embolism. Your terminology is rusty.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Herc11 said:

Incorrect.

First off, age is a risk factor, but doesn't rule out younger people. I cared for a 32 yr old last month who had a stroke. I also read an article recently about a kid in high school who had a stroke while at school. There are many factors that can increase likelihood. For women, birth control medications is a common risk factor. 

Hemorrhagic stroke = a brain bleed. Ie: a vessel ruptured causing bleeding in the brain. The prefix of "hemorrhagic" is from hemorrhage which means bleeding from a ruptured vessel.

Ischemic stroke = a blockage of sort. Ie: a blood clot traveled to the brain blocking flow of blood to a section of the brain. The word "Ischemic" means lack of blood flow. 

If I had to bet, I'm guessing she suffered a stroke. This would entail a stay in the ICU and could mean rehab if it was severe enough that she lost use a side of her body, difficulty speaking/swallowing, etc...

Glad to hear Kim is doing better.

As regards stroke.  And Im not suggesting that she had a stroke.  But a major cause of stroke in young (ie, <60) people is atrial fibrillation. 

Instead of beating like a pump, your hearts upper chambers vibrate incoherently.  Sort of like the ingame thread.  The blood becomes stagnant, and clots.  And then these small clots go into the circulation and lodge in the brain, causing a stroke. 

This is exactly what happened to John Fetterman, Democrat candidate for senate in PA.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/politics/pennsylvania-senate-candidate-john-fetterman-released-from-hospital-after-stroke

He is 52, and recovering nicely. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, pennstate10 said:

Glad to hear Kim is doing better.

As regards stroke.  And Im not suggesting that she had a stroke.  But a major cause of stroke in young (ie, <60) people is atrial fibrillation. 

Instead of beating like a pump, your hearts upper chambers vibrate incoherently.  Sort of like the ingame thread.  The blood becomes stagnant, and clots.  And then these small clots go into the circulation and lodge in the brain, causing a stroke. 

This is exactly what happened to John Fetterman, Democrat candidate for senate in PA.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/politics/pennsylvania-senate-candidate-john-fetterman-released-from-hospital-after-stroke

He is 52, and recovering nicely. 

Yes. Typically those with chronic, controlled a-fib, they are on anti-coags to try and prevent this very thing. However, in an acute case of a-fib this very well can happen if they aren't started on an anti-coag. 

Guys I didn’t say younger people can’t stroke, just simply less likely than older.

ive been in hundreds of carotid stent cases to ameliorate ischemic ones before they stroke.

Anyway, it doesn’t matter as I just mentioned what’s the point of guessing what happened to her other than just wish her the best wishes.

6 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Must be a stroke.

Again with the silly, erroneous speculation.

Stop it.

But coming from WEO … of course it’s coming from WEO. Still batting .000.

jw

Also, reading through this thread, I see it filled with a buncha Doogie Housers on the case.

Not enough that the Pegulas finally put out an update. People have to keep on speculating of which they know nothing.

Might as well close this thread, too.

Edited by john wawrow
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Best wishes to her for a fast and complete recovery.

Get better soon, Kim.

2 hours ago, todd said:

My wife had a vertebral artery dissection and stroke at age 38 after running a triathlon.  So it can happen. (BTW - she's fine, and qualified for and run 10 Boston Marathons since because she's awesome).

So, no not too young. Also, some women of that age on various medications for women of that age have a greater risk of stroke.

Ten Bostons!! She is awesome! Best to her and you. 

But we should all stop the baseless speculation.

1 hour ago, john wawrow said:

I read this in Eminem's voice and it sounded awesome.

• Haha (+1) 5

Stop it.

jw

Also, reading through this thread, I see it filled with a buncha Doogie Housers on the case.

Not enough that the Pegulas finally put out an update. People have to keep on speculating of which they know nothing.

🤦‍♂️ Warrow lecturing on off the cuff commentary. That’s Rich! With Zero information being provided as to the cause of Ms. Kims’ plight, Of Course people are going to  speculate. Lest you be privy to the actual diagnosis, speculation is derived from base knowledge and personal experience. In this case, she’s the owner of the single reason we spend time here every day. 
Get off your high horse, jw. You’re not worthy.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 2

Stop it.

jw

The only intelligent post in this s#itshow of a thread. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

🤦‍♂️ Warrow lecturing on off the cuff commentary. That’s Rich! With Zero information being provided as to the cause of Ms. Kims’ plight, Of Course people are going to  speculate. Lest you be privy to the actual diagnosis, speculation is derived from base knowledge and personal experience. In this case, she’s the owner of the single reason we spend time here every day. 
Get off your high horse, jw. You’re not worthy.

Why is it rich that I ask for people here to have a semblance of tact in light of the situation.

It’s. personal and private issue, not a pending free agency signing.

Have some respect.

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, benderbender said:

Word must have gotten around to their PR team. Was on a text chain just this morning speculating about her condition and how locals said that the worst happened. I’m hoping she could give us an update personally very soon. 

Thank goodness nobody here takes part in such idle speculation.

12 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

I wouldn’t speculate as it could be just about anything.  She’s too young most likely to stroke.  There are two kinds of stroke.  Ischemic and Hemorrhagic.

The first is from plaque in the arteries and usually smokers and diabetics.  They are also typically pretty old and Kim is in her mid 50’s.

Hemorrhagic is as you’d guess from blood clots.  That’s possible, but unlikely unless she was maybe in a car accident and the clot formed in her leg and then migrated to the brain.

Basically there are so many reasons people are hospitalized.  She most likely has the best medical care and probably has a home health nurse visiting her each day.

Im just glad she’s doing well and wish her a speedy recovery.

I & others appreciate you not speculating, but if you did what do you think about stroke?