Marlin the Magician Brisoce - 70s Bill - Passes Away

First Round Bust

4 hours ago, Nitro said:

He and Haven Moses were a good pair of WRs that were traded away in their prime.  Briscoe was fun to watch.   RIP.

Briscoe and Moses were both excellent.

Haven Moses made 2 Pro Bowls immediately after being traded away by the Bills. He's on the Broncos Wall of Fame.

Briscoe made his Pro Bowl after being traded by the Bills to Miami where he contributed to 2 Super Bowl wins.

The years after the mid-1960s AFL Championships were dark days indeed for Bills fans.

• Like (+1) 2

On 6/28/2022 at 12:15 AM, JaBu said:

Marlin was more acrobatic than McKenzie is and was a better route runner with good hands. Ironically the player that came to me as comparable is Lamar Jackson, even though he’s a qb, because of his skill set. Evidently Bill Polian also saw Lamar’s skills at wr as a fit as he said that would be his best position as a pro. Marlin was a pure joy to watch. 

Thank you for the excellent description of Marlin Briscoe.  I can imagine the numbers he could have put up in the modern era.  I think McKenzie while probably not a star, will be a very solid contributor to the team this year.

On 6/28/2022 at 12:06 AM, Sierra Foothills said:

On today's Bills?

No one.

Though both are finesse receivers Briscoe was more of a deep threat and field stretcher than McKenzie. He had really large hands too and could make the one handed grab.

IMO Briscoe was pretty similar to Jerry Butler (Bills 1979-86), a brilliant finesse receiver who had an injury-shortened career.

I remember Jerry Butler when I was a teenager growing up in Buffalo.  Was a great strider going after the football.  I recall him having a monster game in maybe 1980 or 1981 against the Jets.  Maybe 4 TD's and a whole bunch of yards.  Too bad injuries took away his game.  thanks for the comparison to Briscoe.  Butler and Frank Lewis were quite a pair of WR's in the Chuck Knox/Joe Ferguson era.  Go Bills!

• Like (+1) 2

Sad day for me, when the inspiration for your twobillsdrive username dies it is not good.  Loved watching Marlin, he was so exciting.  Had to post in his honor.  Godspeed Marlin, you should have got a full shot at QB, the world knows that now, but you were a great WR.  Here is a new article about him and his Omaha roots you may find of interest - a humble, gracious and sensitive guy:

https://omaha.com/sports/local/chatelain-marlin-briscoe-the-magician-had-magic-ability-to-live-in-two-worlds/article_e77f2ace-f70f-11ec-bbb3-9b1fa8ff1710.html?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter_OWHsports

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

6 hours ago, MarlinTheMagician said:

Sad day for me, when the inspiration for your twobillsdrive username dies it is not good.  Loved watching Marlin, he was so exciting.  Had to post in his honor.  Godspeed Marlin, you should have got a full shot at QB, the world knows that now, but you were a great WR.  Here is a new article about him and his Omaha roots you may find of interest - a humble, gracious and sensitive guy:

https://omaha.com/sports/local/chatelain-marlin-briscoe-the-magician-had-magic-ability-to-live-in-two-worlds/article_e77f2ace-f70f-11ec-bbb3-9b1fa8ff1710.html?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter_OWHsports

There was a biographical movie project in the works for Marlin but somehow over the years the project stalled.

I definitely feel like history does not appreciate his contributions and that the era he played in pigeon-holed his career.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Sierra Foothills said:

There was a biographical movie project in the works for Marlin but somehow over the years the project stalled.

I definitely feel like history does not appreciate his contributions and that the era he played in pigeon-holed his career.

We certainly have not come far enough, and there is a lot more to do, but I’m pleased that we’ve come as far as we have. I think sports has been a part of that shift to some degree. People just want to see their team win, and can “overlook” silly things and get behind anybody who gets you to the promised land. 

I hate that I just typed that, but I think there’s a lot of truth in it. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 6/30/2022 at 2:14 PM, Augie said:

We certainly have not come far enough, and there is a lot more to do, but I’m pleased that we’ve come as far as we have. I think sports has been a part of that shift to some degree. People just want to see their team win, and can “overlook” silly things and get behind anybody who gets you to the promised land. 

I hate that I just typed that, but I think there’s a lot of truth in it. 

I agree Augie. I think sports maybe more than any other field has moved the needle a bit more in the direction of color blindness.

That said, there's still so much hate and intolerance out there that even though there definitely has been progress, it sometimes feels like no progress has been made at all.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.