10 non-superstars who could shape the 2022 NFL Season (article, Bills related)

Logic

8 minutes ago, SCBills said:

We have a lot of weapons, but are bizarrely thin at outside WR for a team that throws the ball like we do.

We are thin for a team with SB aspirations and the 1 seed in sight. We are a Diggs injury away from having a very mediocre WR corp. Can Davis be a #1 for a few weeks if Diggs goes down? Replacing Cole and Sanders with Crowder and McK feels like a drop off.

My only hope is that the addition of Howard makes up some of the difference. But I would hate for WR depth to hurt our chances at a 1-seed.

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, jletha said:

We are thin for a team with SB aspirations and the 1 seed in sight. We are a Diggs injury away from having a very mediocre WR corp. Can Davis be a #1 for a few weeks if Diggs goes down? Replacing Cole and Sanders with Crowder and McK feels like a drop off.

My only hope is that the addition of Howard makes up some of the difference. But I would hate for WR depth to hurt our chances at a 1-seed.

Howard is definitely an upgrade at TE2, even if he isn't what some of us are hoping.  

Cook could be an absolute monster in this Offense.  Huge, massive upgrade in the RB room.

Our running game should also be much better this year with the addition of Saffold, hopeful development of Bates/Brown and Kromer as OL Coach.  

Sanders didn't give us much last year, so elevating Davis (who's potential is pretty high) gives us a 3-wide, at least as potent as last year.. with guys we could reasonably view as upgrades in Crowder and Davis.

Overall, I think this Offense got much better in the Offseason... but Outside WR is a glaring issue once you get past Diggs/Davis, unless they believe they can just split slot guys out wide in this Offense and/or Shakir's rookie year plans are him taking on the Gabe Davis rookie/sophomore year role.  

About not having top-level depth behind Diggs and Davis -- I think the Bills would have used their second round pick on a WR if the RB from Washington hadn't backed out.  When he did, the Bills needed to spend a second on a pass-catching RB. 

I think two things are true.

1.) The Bills' depth at outside WR is not good. If Diggs or Davis go down, the remaining options are undesirable.

2.) Not many top offenses in the NFL have good depth at outside WR. There are very few teams who, if their #1 or #2 receiver go down, are going to be able to insert a backup and not miss a beat.

So I agree with @ScottLaw and others who say that our outside WR depth is not good overall. On the other hand, I can't point to very many good teams who DO have great depth at that position.

Personally, I'd like to see them take a chance on Will Fuller. I realize that he has been a walking injury himself. IF -- and that's a big "if" -- he's healthy, he'd be a good flyer to take. He's a quality deep threat and is still 28 years old, as opposed to Sanders and Hilton and Jones, who are all on their last legs.

4 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Just off the top of my head I’d rank the Dolphins, Bengals, Bucs, Broncos, Chargers, Rams, Raiders,  Dallas ahead of the Bills… possibly Saints, Seahawks, And Eagles as well.

So if Diggs and Gabe are Hill and Waddle, then exactly what depth do the Dolphins have beyond them, which is your argument? Could probably extend that to the rest of the teams mentioned.

I'm so over the Broncos hype btw - apparently the extremely disappointing Jerry Jeudy, often missing Courtland Sutton, and Tim Patrick who is essentially a modern day Josh Reed are more feared than our skill players?

On 6/27/2022 at 2:20 PM, Freddie's Dead said:

The JAX game is still a blur.  The play by play lists two INC to Gabe.  I remember Dropsome Knox re-emerging with four huge drops, each of which would have been a 1st down.  The Jests game is also a blur.

He dropped a ball that at least would've put us in position to tie on the final failed drive.  Still can't believe we lost to the darn Jaguars.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

Hill and Waddle> Diggs/Davis.

He was talking about depth...which you were too.

Cedric Wilson, Trent Sheffield, Lynn Bowden Jr and Erik Ezukanma are the back ups at WR for the Dolphins.  You're right.  If Hill and Waddle go down, the Dolphins will be fine at WR. 

2 hours ago, Nelius said:

So if Diggs and Gabe are Hill and Waddle, then exactly what depth do the Dolphins have beyond them, which is your argument? Could probably extend that to the rest of the teams mentioned.

I'm so over the Broncos hype btw - apparently the extremely disappointing Jerry Jeudy, often missing Courtland Sutton, and Tim Patrick who is essentially a modern day Josh Reed are more feared than our skill players?

All 32 teams in the NFL, if there top 2 WR's went down, they're all going to be hurting.  

2 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Just off the top of my head I’d rank the Dolphins, Bengals, Bucs, Broncos, Chargers, Rams, Raiders,  Dallas ahead of the Bills… possibly Saints, Seahawks, And Eagles as well.

You can't name the depth of all these teams WR's.  You're just simply just throwing teams out there.

Edited by Royale with Cheese

9 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

My original response was in response to your last paragraph where you asked examples of top of the league skill player assembly… I gave you teams I think are better assembled than the Bills.

Gotcha, but I don't know man. I can listen to the argument that Hill/Waddle are better than Diggs/Davis - although both groups should get a bump or a minus due their QB situation. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if Diggs/Davis have much better stats at end of year. Regardless, I still don't think that the Dolphins have a better overall depth chart on offense than we do. And I certainly don't think Philly does. Philly?! I'd put the Bills in the top 10. I think a few of your choices (Dallas, TB) are probably correct.

14 hours ago, jletha said:

Replacing Cole and Sanders with Crowder and McK feels like a drop off.

Currently unsigned 33 year old Cole Beasley and currently unsigned 35 year old Emmanuel Sanders? Or like versions of them from the past that no longer exist?

Sorry, not trying to be rude. I just don't see why going younger and faster is an issue? Cole and Sanders probably will never play again unless there's some WR emergency. I could actually see Sanders joining a team before Beasley.

Edited by Nelius

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.