The Unpopular Opinions Thread

Gugny

5 hours ago, Gugny said:

Really?  I thought he was universally (almost) loved ... like the Dave Matthews Band (who also sucks).

JB concerts are fun, if you like watching drunk girls.  But when's the last time anyone said "hey, have you heard this new Jimmy Buffet song?"  

Edited by Just Jack

Just now, Just Jack said:

JB concerts are fun, if you like watching drunk girls.  But when's the last time anyone said "hey, have you heard this new Jimmy Buffet song?"  

The guy's got it made.  He's got a cult following who doesn't care that he plays the same songs every show.  Steve Miller is the same (except he's actually good).  He played SPAC every summer for what seemed like decades and just rode that greatest hits album that everyone has owned at some period of their lifetime.

3 minutes ago, Gugny said:

The guy's got it made.  He's got a cult following who doesn't care that he plays the same songs every show.  Steve Miller is the same (except he's actually good).  He played SPAC every summer for what seemed like decades and just rode that greatest hits album that everyone has owned at some period of their lifetime.

I guess Van Morrison got sick of that. We saw him a few months ago on his “Everything But The Hits Tour”. It was really odd! Still good, but odd, and at least a little disappointing. 

1 minute ago, Augie said:

I guess Van Morrison got sick of that. We saw him a few months ago on his “Everything But The Hits Tour”. It was really odd! Still good, but odd, and at least a little disappointing. 

I wouldn't mind this too much if the artist played songs from the same albums that the hits were on.  For example - The Police are always gonna play Message in a Bottle.  I wouldn't mind if they skipped that song and instead played No Time This Time, which is song on the same album that was never released as a single.

What I don't like is seeing bands past their prime and they think the crowd wants to hear their new music.  Psssst ... we don't.

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Simon said:

Iced tea is disgusting :sick:

Sweetened or unsweetened?

I can handle unsweetened iced tea, but I wouldn't go out of my way to have it.

Sweetened iced tea is effin' disgusting.

2 hours ago, Gugny said:

Disagree. The last 3 times I saw him he was horrible and to boot always brought some random person no one has ever heard of to do like 1/3 of the show. Yet Cheap Trick, Joe Cocker, etc rolled right on through with the good stuff. His best years were the Capitol years and after Fly like an eagle he came to a screeching halt. Abra kadabra? wtf. 

Just now, T&C said:

Disagree. The last 3 times I saw him he was horrible and to boot always brought some random person no one has ever heard of to do like 1/3 of the show. Yet Cheap Trick, Joe Cocker, etc rolled right on through with the good stuff. His best years were the Capitol years and after Fly like an eagle he came to a screeching halt. Abra kadabra? wtf. 

I've never seen Steve Miller, so I was really just talking about the demand aspect.  And Abra Cadabra really is a terrible song; especially that guitar solo!

4 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I've never seen Steve Miller, so I was really just talking about the demand aspect.  And Abra Cadabra really is a terrible song; especially that guitar solo!

It's a shame really what he's done in the last 30 years after being a top draw for a 10 year period. I put a great one from the Capitol era in the music thread. When he didn't suck lol.

Yoko Ono's "Approximately Infinite Universe" is a pretty good album.

She writes musically interesting songs, from ballads (I want my love to rest tonight; Death of Samantha) to up-tempo rock (Peter the dealer). While her vocals are the weakest part, the backing band (Elephant's Memory) is in very good shape (especially Stan Bronstein on sax). Some of the lyrics are "naive feminist", but others show a keen sense of observation and even some humor:

"I went to shake hands with the president in Miami,
I went to a rock show to see Mick Jagger.
And you'd never believe it, surprise to my life,
They had paint on their faces just like mommy's."

Edited by DrW

4 hours ago, Simon said:

Iced tea is disgusting :sick:

It just wears you down and before you know it……I heard “Y’all” come out of my mouth one time while living in Hilton Head, SC.    🤷‍♂️

Like Florida, HHI doesn’t qualify as “The South”, but it came out of my mouth and I was shocked! 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.