The Unpopular Opinions Thread

Gugny

@Mr Info

@LeGOATski

I have "range anxiety." I always gotta fill up my car @ 1/2 tank... Also have to charge my phone between 40-80%.  Is there anything that can help with an EV? Should I see a shrink?

😉 

16 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Sometimes athlete privilege goes too far.

The Brittany Griner situation is the latest example. She should not be prioritized over other foreign prisoners, all else being equal.

I think this is a popular opinion.

20 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

@Mr Info

@LeGOATski

I have "range anxiety." I always gotta fill up my car @ 1/2 tank... Also have to charge my phone between 40-80%.  Is there anything that can help with an EV? Should I see a shrink?

😉

I think this is a popular opinion.

When I drove my Honda Fit, I would drive it to "E" before filling up, because it was just a 10 gallon tank and I was getting over 400 miles/tank.

When I bought the Frontier (current vehicle), I filled up at 1/2 tank.  Since the hike in gas prices, I fill up when I hit 3/4 tank.  Luckily, my driving is minimal now and I only fill it up about once/week.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Gugny said:

When I drove my Honda Fit, I would drive it to "E" before filling up, because it was just a 10 gallon tank and I was getting over 400 miles/tank.

When I bought the Frontier (current vehicle), I filled up at 1/2 tank.  Since the hike in gas prices, I fill up when I hit 3/4 tank.  Luckily, my driving is minimal now and I only fill it up about once/week.

Not sure how it holds up today... But my father would always say: "You got 30 miles when on E."

I guess that's right... Most (domestic) cars have a 2 gallon reserve and 15mpg (conservative old school milelage) sounds about right. 

I still use that rule on older car withOUT algorithm. Reset my trip odometer at fill up time too...

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Just now, ExiledInIllinois said:

Not sure how it holds up today... But my father would always say: "You got 30 miles when on E."

I guess that's right... Most (domestic) cars have a 2 gallon reserve and 15mpg (conservative old school milelage) sounds about right. 

I still use that rule on older car with algorithm. Reset my trip odometer at fill up time too...

I knew I could safely get 25 miles after the light went on in the Fit.

I've only driven the Frontier to "E" one time.  When I filled it, my guess (based on how much gas it took) is that I'm probably safe for ~30 miles after the light comes on.

In the Fit, I reset the odometer at every fill-up, but that was because I was commuting.  I no longer do that.  It actually felt a little liberating!

• Awesome! (+1) 1

The problem I have with EVs, IMO... Is that "fuel source" has a finite service life.  No finite service life with fossil fuel.  OTHER parts have a service life, but not the fuel itself... Of course, you're using the fuel regularly. 

Every charge is bringing you closer to a huge battery replacement bill.  Not like a fuel pump, etc...

Unless they can get infrastructure in place that can swap that battery out in as long as it takes to fuel a car... I will never be happy.

Treat EV batteries like you do your propane exchange on your grill.

We are headed to hell if they think EVs will work for the unwashed masses.  It's an elite thing.

1 hour ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

@Mr Info

@LeGOATski

Range anxiety was an issue at first for me. But when I drive distances and found through different apps where chargers were located, I lost that anxiety. There are portable batteries that you can place in your EV that will provide an extra charge if you need it. Maybe you need something like that if you get an EV.

@ExiledInIllinois mentioned concern with battery replacement. I have that concern as well though I know Tesla owners who have had their model S approaching 10 yrs. They have lost some range but are not concerned yet with battery replacement. 
i have taken a different approach. I purchased my Tesla 2 years ago and sold it a few months ago for more than I paid. I will buy another one very soon. They are deploying new battery technology which reduces the battery cells required and thus the weight which results in an increase in range…plus they charge faster. The car is a computer with wheels and technology is constantly changing. I guess I am considered an early adopter but I research before I purchase. High demand for Tesla EVs so may sell and buy another every few years to keep up with technology updates. I sold the car within a week of listing it so feel this approach is cost-effective and keeps up with technology changes.

taking this from a thread on the main board, but training camp is weak. 

it's packed, you can't see a thing, the food is meh at best, and now there's tickets needed for every practice, the chances of me going to take the kids are about 5%.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Augie said:

Having questionable sushi adds significantly to the excitement factor. 

My first (and last) time trying sushi was a horrible experience.  It was at a work event and a co-worker knew I'd never had it.  I specifically said that the thought of eating raw fish was not appealing to me.  She told me that not all sushi had raw fish and said, "here ... try this one."  Turned out to be raw eel and had no choice but to eat it, as I was surrounded by co-workers.  Horrendous.  My mind was made up that day that I'd never try any kind of sushi again.  This was about 15 years ago and the streak is alive and well.

• Angry 1

When I lived in California I got on a California roll kick. So I stopped into a Sushi restaurant to have said California roll, but when I came time to order, I ordered raw shark. With soy sauce it wasn't half bad, but of course I've never had it again.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

Sometimes athlete privilege goes too far.

The Brittany Griner situation is the latest example. She should not be prioritized over other foreign prisoners, all else being equal.

Dude brings drugs into Russia, that’s what you get.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.