The Unpopular Opinions Thread

Gugny

16 hours ago, Rico said:

Steve Perry: "People, we love you, but can you just move back a little?"

Drenched Crowd: "***** you, we want the Stones"

I was in a lower section by the stage on Keef's side... stayed up all night after the Dead show at the Aud and needed to be able to sit down, total drugland weekend.

My best friend and I did the same...headed straight from the Dead show out to Rich to camp out.  We were probably in line together!  

As I recall, we also saw the Kinks at the Aud, a few nights before the Dead.  It was a big week.

Edited by Buftex
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Dane Cook was never funny.  Yes, I've seen the one about the sneeze and the one about holograms.  They both suck.  He was only popular because girls think hes cute.

Pete Davidson is heroin Dane Cook.

Lost in Translation has no redeeming value as entertainment.  Pretending to like it doesn't make you smart.

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, Buftex said:

My best friend and I did the same...headed straight from the Dead show out to Rich to camp out.  We were probably in line together!  

As I recall, we also saw the Kinks at the Aud, a few nights before the Dead.  It was a big week.

Actually,  the Kinks were the best show by far that weekend.

Kinks - Thursday - Aud

Grateful Dead - Saturday  - Aud

Thorogood and

Journey and

Stones - Sunday - Ralph

Quite a weekend…

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

The salary cap ruined sports.  Thank God Major League baseball doesn't have one.  The cap just protects the large market teams from their ownself. It practically ruined hockey. 

/DuckingForCover

Meh. But they do have a pretty stiff luxury tax with some $ and signing rules penalties. And still, a team even like the Red Sox have a hard time affording to keep their home-grown guys who became stars — Mookie Betts (altho… no matter what he says to the contrary, just wanted out of Boston), and now possibly Xander Boegarts. 🤷🏻‍♂️

And teams like the Yankees and Dodgers can buy wins.

What MLB really needs is a salary floor. Some teams are literally jokes with a $25-30M payroll as the owner makes off with $100M net from teevee money even before any gate/concessions/etc. and they only serve as farm teams for the 15 teams that actually put resources into trying to win games.

10 hours ago, Buftex said:

My sister saw The Beatles and The Stones in the same week in maybe 1964? THAT was quite a week! I remember her and her friends running up and down the road screaming at the top of their lungs. She says she “saw” the Beatles, but you couldn’t “hear” anything but young girls screaming. 

As for unpopular opinions, The Beatles, at least the early stuff, was wildly overrated. The Stones performances now are also wildly overrated. Back in the 70’s (maybe summer of 1975 at the Ralph?) was the best show I’ve ever seen. The last (and third) time I saw them convinced me there are better ways to spend my time. 

22 minutes ago, Augie said:

My sister saw The Beatles and The Stones in the same week in maybe 1964? THAT was quite a week! I remember her and her friends running up and down the road screaming at the top of their lungs. She says she “saw” the Beatles, but you couldn’t “hear” anything but young girls screaming. 

As for unpopular opinions, The Beatles, at least the early stuff, was wildly overrated. The Stones performances now are also wildly overrated. Back in the 70’s (maybe summer of 1975 at the Ralph?) was the best show I’ve ever seen. The last (and third) time I saw them convinced me there are better ways to spend my time. 

The last Rolling Stones tour was in 1982, Vegas Stones from 1989-present. Watered-down revue, safe to take the whole family to. Still entertaining, but only a shell of what they were. Understandable now given their age, inexcusable in the late 80's - early 00's.

• Agree 1

On 6/26/2022 at 2:06 PM, Gugny said:

I think Journey was good through Escape.  After that ... crap.

@Draconatorwill like this opinion ... every Rush album after Signals was garbage and Moving Pictures was their last great album.

Rush never put out a beginning-to-end great album, All The World's A Stage came closest. Last good one was Permanent Waves, then Motion Pictures & Signals had their moments. The weakest link by far is Neil Peart's cheeseball lyrics.

• Angry 1
  • Agree 1

22 hours ago, Logic said:

I suppose liking sour cream makes me a bit of a hypocrite with regard to my cottage cheese critique.

Nah, I can't stomach cottage cheese either. I do like all that other stuff though.

I forgot one though. How are you with tofu? 

2 minutes ago, Rico said:

Rush never put out a beginning-to-end great album, All The World's A Stage came closest. Last good one was Permanent Waves, then Motion Pictures & Signals had their moments. The weakest link by far is Neil Peart's cheeseball lyrics.

I can get on board with this, ATWAS and Hemispheres is really all I get into, another group that is vastly overrated. Caress of Steel had to be a private joke.. I'd rather listen to Carly Simon.

2 minutes ago, Beerball said:

Nah, I can't stomach cottage cheese either. I do like all that other stuff though.

I forgot one though. How are you with tofu? 

I like tofu, so long as it’s been prepared well.

I look at tofu like I look at a chicken breast: if you don’t do anything to flavor it, if you just cook it straight up without using any spices or marinade or sauce or anything, it’s not gonna be very good or taste like much.

When it’s been marinaded or rubbed in spices or battered and fried or baked golden and covered in sauce, it can be damned good. Unfortunately, far, far too many places serve tofu basically plain and/or poorly/improperly prepared, and then it’s gross.

Just now, Logic said:

I look at tofu like I look at a chicken breast: if you don’t do anything to flavor it, if you just cook it straight up without using any spices or marinade or sauce or anything, it’s not gonna be very good or taste like much.

When it’s been marinaded or rubbed in spices or battered and fried or baked golden and covered in sauce, it can be damned good. Unfortunately, far, far too many places serve tofu basically plain and/or poorly/improperly prepared, and then it’s gross.

For some reason I can't get past the texture.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Logic said:

Thank God for gravy.

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.