The Unpopular Opinions Thread

Gugny

1 hour ago, Rico said:

Journey opened for the Stones at Rich in 1981, and I will never forget:

Everyone was sitting and bumming in our section waiting for the Stones except for this clown in a SabreJak standing and swaying back & forth to this song. Some drunk to my lower right started poking him with a Canadian flag until he slipped and hit the girl next to him in the face. Her doofus boyfriend gets up, goes over to the drunk, and tries breaking the flag in half over his knee... only it won't break so he sits back down. Journey finally gets booed off the stage, the Stones come out and kickass... only the drunk Canadian is passed out and misses it all. Good times!

Seriously?  Journey got booed off the stage?  In 1981?  That's kind of funny.

If you change a few details, your story could fit into just about any home Bills game I have ever been to.

It's a f-ing zoo out there.

1 hour ago, Logic said:

The Wire is boring.

I find it hard to believe that you never owned a Kodak camera, Xeroxed anything, or enjoyed any movie with John Lithgow or Philip Seymour Hoffman in it.

People speak of "The Wire" as though it's one of the greatest shows of all time.  

I bought season 1 on DVD, based on recommendations, and got ready to rock 'n roll with a long binge watch. 

I literally tried twice, and could NOT make it out of episode 1.  It was FILLED with such bad, jaded, "hardened, cynical cop" dialogue and scenes I have seen 1,000 times before.  People speaking absolutely nothing like they do in real life.  The whole thing wreaked "you are watching a TV show."

I thought it was really quite bad.  Shut it off and haven't been back since.

Friends have told me I need to give it more of a chance, but I have no interest in doing so.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

If you change a few details, your story could fit into just about any home Bills game I have ever been to.

Stadium full of soaked, wet Stones fans were in no mood to hear Na Na Na Na Na crap.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

People speak of "The Wire" as though it's one of the greatest shows of all time.  

I bought season 1 on DVD, based on recommendations, and got ready to rock 'n roll with a long binge watch. 

I literally tried twice, and could NOT make it out of episode 1.  It was FILLED with such bad, jaded, "hardened, cynical cop" dialogue and scenes I have seen 1,000 times before.  People speaking absolutely nothing like they do in real life.  The whole thing wreaked "you are watching a TV show."

I thought it was really quite bad.  Shut it off and haven't been back since.

Friends have told me I need to give it more of a chance, but I have no interest in doing so.

Ive been told several times to “give it a few seasons”. That it really gets going in like season 3 or 4.

I’m sorry, but if it takes that long for a show to get going, maybe it’s just not that good of a show?

Boring. Overrated. Yet routinely hailed by many as one of the greatest shows ever made. I don’t get it.

Edited by Logic
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Gugny said:

This is a great segue into my next unpopular opinion ... George Thorogood is horrible.  The only song I can even stomach from him is Who Do You Love, and that's a cover tune!  Yes ... he plays a decent slide guitar ... but his music is unlistenable to me.

Same.  I can't stand the band.

One of the first years that we've lived down here, we had the opportunity to see Joe Cocker in concert.

I've always loved Joe C, and the show was a really big-deal, since we live in the middle of nowhere.  (Top of the South Island)  Anyway, I just couldn't get myself to go, only because George f'ing Thorogood was the opening act.

Nope!

• Agree 1

Unpopular opinion?  Ok...

@Gugny is actually a nice guy once you get to know him.  

3 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Youth, pay-to-play sport “clubs” with their year round practices/tournaments are ruining sports for kids.  ***** has gotten out of hand.  

I've got several neices/nephews in those, and every weekend they got something going on.  And if you're not in the right club/team, you're *****. 

2 hours ago, WhoTom said:

Not everything that's old is classic. A '72 Mustang is a classic. A '72 Pinto is just old.

One of my first car purchases was a 1986 Toyota MR2, bought in 1992, for about $5K. I noticed the other week there's one for sale in my area, not sure on the year, mileage, or asking price.  But I started looking up what they are going for, being 35 year old cars, you'd think $1-2K.  Nope.  I guess because the ones I saw online are in good shape, they're going on average $7-10K.  

Edited by Just Jack
  • Thank you (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, Rico said:

The Wire > The Sopranos

Also,

Curb Your Enthusiasm > Seinfeld

I am as big a Curb fan as anyone.  There are a lot of people who don't get the show, but I was never one of them.

And having said that, I noticed that last "new" season that the show's formula is getting old.

I enjoyed it a lot more several years ago.

I never felt that way about "Seinfeld."  I remember telling a friend back then that I could watch a new episode of Seinfeld every week, forever, even though the formula of the show never changes and one show is pretty much the same as the next...but it was just so much fun to watch.

Larry David no doubt played a huge role in both shows.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Gugny said:

I'll start with this one:

The Doors sucked and are the most overrated rock band ever.

music snobs should be sent to bikini atoll. 

5 hours ago, Gugny said:

All four got tossed and never got to see Ozzy.

At least there was a happy ending.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Logic said:

Unpopular opinions?

Blue Cheese and Cottage cheese are gross.

One is moldy. The other is curdled milk. Both are disgusting, and it's weird that people like them.

How do you feel about:

yogurt?

sour cream?

American cheese?

sauerkraut?

kimchi?

sushi?

squid?

snails?

mushrooms?

1 hour ago, Bad Things said:

Same.  I can't stand the band.

One of the first years that we've lived down here, we had the opportunity to see Joe Cocker in concert.

I've always loved Joe C, and the show was a really big-deal, since we live in the middle of nowhere.  (Top of the South Island)  Anyway, I just couldn't get myself to go, only because George f'ing Thorogood was the opening act.

Nope!

I don't know anyone who doesn't like The Band.

6 hours ago, Gugny said:

I think Journey was good through Escape.  After that ... crap.

@Draconatorwill like this opinion ... every Rush album after Signals was garbage and Moving Pictures was their last great album.

Their last album Clockwork Angels was their best album ever. They took everything they learned in 38 years and made an album out of it. 

• Vomit 1

1 hour ago, Beerball said:

How do you feel about:

yogurt? Yes

sour cream? Yes

American cheese? No

sauerkraut? Yes

kimchi? Yes

sushi? Yes

squid? No

snails? No 

mushrooms? Yes

I suppose liking sour cream makes me a bit of a hypocrite with regard to my cottage cheese critique.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.