Random Bills’ Games Stuck in the Memory Bank

WotAGuy

1 hour ago, The Wiz said:

The game itself wasn't obscure itself but the events that took place during the game made it memorable for me (and not in the way you would think).

The game was the Kevin Everett game.  The obvious is the opening kickoff where Everett had to be carted off the field and we know the rest of that story.  The 2nd that happened was the end of the game where Denver won with no time left on the clock.  

The reason this game sticks out to me?  I was there and didn't see either of these plays because at the start of the game I was busy hitting on some girl that I had just met.  I didn't see the end of the game because I was making out with the same girl during the last minute of the game.

Oh to be young and stupid again.

I brought my buddy up from Virginia for that game. Saturday was a spectacularly beautiful fall day.  Sunday was rain from sunrise to sunset. The game was miserable because of that. The end was a gut punch. And I had to get my buddy up that hill into the lot on California where you had to cross the creek. He had a bad heart and I thought he was going to have a heart attack going up that hill. The whole day was a nightmare. 🤣

17 minutes ago, Pete said:

This was a total surprise and a great game to watch.  Wish I had been at that one. 

I have so many games in my memory bank. It's diffficult to choose just one. These are archive from when I lived in WNY I kept these babies in a photo album.  🙂

lol check out the price!!

bills game tickets.jpg

Edited by muppy
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

1 hour ago, muppy said:

I have so many games in my memory bank. It's diffficult to choose just one. These are archive from when I lived in WNY I kept these babies in a photo album.  🙂

bills game tickets.jpg

I posted a ticket stub here in the past, I think it was my 2nd Bills game, Bills vs Rams Dec. 7, 1980 10-7 OT,the chorus line after game. 

Your comment on ticket price made me look at my stub again. Mine was $12! Section E, row 44, double the price of yours in only 2 years...😥

A sign of things to come that none of us had a clue about back then. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Pete said:

My father took me to this game, I was 10 years old.  He took me to a few games before, but this is first Bills game I can remember well 

My future brother-in-law and I were at this game. Gorgeous day and so relaxed as the Bills took care of business. Distinctly remember going up to the top of the upper deck to smoke a doob 

Edited by WotAGuy
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

30 minutes ago, muppy said:

bills game tickets.jpg

Cincinnati: We went to the 1970 home game against them when OJ blew out his knee on a kickoff return. I had waited forever for that game.  My Dad had bought the most expensive tickets ($7.00) to site on the sidelines under the roof. They were on our bulletin board for months and I would just stare at them. $7!!  So much money!  

The morning of the game my Dad took me for a walk and told me he couldn’t go because he was having chest pains. I was 11 and devastated. My sister took his place with my Mom and I. We sat in front of a bunch of college kids that spilled wine on our blanket and made burn holes from cigarettes. Just a total disaster of a day. So many Bills games have bad outcomes like this. 

Why God why??  🤣🤣

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, WotAGuy said:

Cincinnati: We went to the 1970 home game against them when OJ blew out his knee on a kickoff return. I had waited forever for that game.  My Dad had bought the most expensive tickets ($7.00) to site on the sidelines under the roof. They were on our bulletin board for months and I would just stare at them. $7!!  So much money!  

The morning of the game my Dad took me for a walk and told me he couldn’t go because he was having chest pains. I was 11 and devastated. My sister took his place with my Mom and I. We sat in front of a bunch of college kids that spilled wine on our blanket and made burn holes from cigarettes. Just a total disaster of a day. So many Bills games have bad outcomes like this. 

Why God why??  🤣🤣

It’s why we are Bills Mafia.  We’ve collectively suffered as Bills fans the last 50 years.  But we always loved and supported our Bills no matter our 4-12 seasons, wide right, 044, etc 

my girlfriend says when I run across a Bills fan, we are like dogs running to greet each other lol

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

Week 16, 2006 against the Titans. The two plays that stick out in my brain:

1) Vince Young ran for a long (40 yards?) touchdown. 

2) Robert Royal caught a touchdown pass in the end zone we were sitting in, but despite having plenty of room  at the back of the end zone, he had one foot out of bounds and the touchdown didn’t count.

Despite the Bills being in an exciting game throughout, they lost by one score.

Just another Bills-y drought era loss in an endless, frustrating string of them, that ruined our long drive home.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

memory bank games. hmmm. Well I have one and its for sentimental as well as it being an iconic game in bills lore. It was the one and only Bills game I ever attended with my mother. She was born and raised in Buffalo NY. It was a special day to be able to attend the 1973 first ever Monday night football game at Rich Stadium with her. Bills against the KC Chiefs. Bills win in exciting fashion. Traffic into and out of the stadium was a horror show.

Howard Cosell with the call.....very fun memory  ..check out the sideline signage LOL Love it

The Bills are 3-4 at home on Monday night and 0-5 on the road. Buffalo's first Monday night game came during Simpson's 2,003-yard season, 1973, against the Kansas City Chiefs at Rich Stadium. Buffalo won, 23-14, as the Juice carried 39 times for 157 yards "with the whole world watching" to go over the 1,000-yard mark in the season's seventh game.

Edited by muppy
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

29 minutes ago, Pete said:

It’s why we are Bills Mafia.  We’ve collectively suffered as Bills fans the last 50 years.  But we always loved and supported our Bills no matter our 4-12 seasons, wide right, 044, etc 

my girlfriend says when I run across a Bills fan, we are like dogs running to greet each other lol

Like Shelter dogs is what you're saying. Some day when we win it all, it's gonna be like the dog pound doors broke free! Jubilance for all! Go Bills! Please.... 😀

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

There was a game I was at during the 80 or 81 season. 
    It was pretty windy( surprise)

Someone chucked a roll of TP from the stands and a big streamer of it was blowing down the field. 
    A play was about to start and one of the teams lines got total wrapped up in it. They got it off themselves and the other teams line got wrapped in it.

I was about ten at the time and I can still see it clearly.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

The game that is stuck in my mind is our Season Opener at Home vs. the Jets on September 10, 2017.....the year our "Drought" ended. It was a 21-12 victory on a warm September day. We had a dominant running game, and an improved Defense that helped pave the way for our first Playoff appearance in nearly two decades. I remember being in the stadium that day as they honored the players who played on the 25 anniversary of "Comeback" game, and thinking it could be an Omen of something great to come. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Packers at Bills 1994. Brought my best friend along to his first NFL game. He brought a Bryce Paup football card and a Brett Farve Falcon's rookie card he was trying to get their attention during warmups but they wouldn't come over. I was 11 and very embarrassed to be in full Bills gear and my guy screaming for the opponents autographs. Turns out he knew talent and I had a Paup jersey the very next season. The man won't let me forget it to this day. Also one of the most nervous games I've been to. We had a 17 point lead but Farve almost led one of his signature comebacks.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Logic said:

Week 16, 2006 against the Titans. The two plays that stick out in my brain:

1) Vince Young ran for a long (40 yards?) touchdown. 

2) Robert Royal caught a touchdown pass in the end zone we were sitting in, but despite having plenty of room  at the back of the end zone, he had one foot out of bounds and the touchdown didn’t count.

Despite the Bills being in an exciting game throughout, they lost by one score.

Just another Bills-y drought era loss in an endless, frustrating string of them, that ruined our long drive home.

weirdly enough, this was the first game I thought of too. That Royal misstep infuriates me to this day, and pretty much summed up his career with the Bills in that one play. 

I think that game sticks with us because as I recall, if we won that game, we had a legit shot at making the playoffs, and by losing, we were eliminated. 

• Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, Fan in Chicago said:

I know you were looking for Bills wins but I am scarred by this game and can never forget the anger, frustration and disappointment during this game:

https://sportsdata.usatoday.com/football/nfl/summary/23567

I referenced this game a few days ago when some dude said the Patriots never whooped us as bad as we did to them in the playoffs. I remember Randy Moss torched us the entire game. Made me seriously question being a Bills fan anymore (I am too young for the Super Bowl years so my whole life the Bills sucked) Glad I stuck around. 

8 hours ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

That game was brutal.  Sunday nite at the Ralph.  We looked like a Pee Wee team against Brady, Moss, etc.  Ugly.  That and the Cowboys Monday nite when we were up by 9 in the last minute were as bad as it got during the draught.  Makes me think of Donte Whitner for some reason.  (Didn't he fail to recover the onside kick against the Cowboys allowing them to kick the winning FG?)  He was not worthy of a 1st round pick let alone a top 10 pick.  Guy had the range of a turtle stuck in mud.  But at least he could knock the crap of Ocho Cinco with impugnity.  And played with bad intentions.   

The Whitner pick was universally  hated the moment they announced it. Everybody and their grandma wanted Ngata. A case of the fans actually being right. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, WotAGuy said:

Off-season postings of old Bills’ games got me thinking about some wins that stick in my memory; many are from more than 50 years ago when I was a kid obsessed with the Bills. 

1970 - Bills crushed the Patriots 45-10.  I had never seen the Bills dominate like that; I had been following them since 1968, so there you go. I still remember watching the game in shock as they piled up TDs (in black and white of course). That game just sticks in my brain. 

Share your memories - the more obscure the game, the better!

This October 7, ‘73 Bills/Eagles game is one of my all time favorite games. It was my 18th birthday (I could drink booze!) and played in our brand spanking new, beautiful “RICH” Stadium. Roman Gabriel and Norm Bulasch had joined the Birds, Rookie Joe Ferguson has supplanted Dennis Shaw as our QB and “Orange Juice “ as he was nicknamed then, was on his quest to top 2000 yards rushing in a 14 game season -a feat still unmatched. Seesaw battle all day with multiple lead changes, crazy plays, thrills and spills! It came down to the final play, where record-holding PK Tom Dempsey was set up for a gimme GW FG. 

He STUBBED it!!

Spent the rest of the day gloriously drunk!

• Like (+1) 4

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.