Random Bills’ Games Stuck in the Memory Bank

WotAGuy

Off-season postings of old Bills’ games got me thinking about some wins that stick in my memory; many are from more than 50 years ago when I was a kid obsessed with the Bills. 

1970 - Bills crushed the Patriots 45-10.  I had never seen the Bills dominate like that; I had been following them since 1968, so there you go. I still remember watching the game in shock as they piled up TDs (in black and white of course). That game just sticks in my brain. 

Share your memories - the more obscure the game, the better!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, WotAGuy said:

Off-season postings of old Bills’ games got me thinking about some wins that stick in my memory; many are from more than 50 years ago when I was a kid obsessed with the Bills. 

1970 - Bills crushed the Patriots 45-10.  I had never seen the Bills dominate like that; I had been following them since 1968, so there you go. I still remember watching the game in shock as they piled up TDs (in black and white of course). That game just sticks in my brain. 

I know you were looking for Bills wins but I am scarred by this game and can never forget the anger, frustration and disappointment during this game:

https://sportsdata.usatoday.com/football/nfl/summary/23567

• Angry 2
  • Agree 2

31 minutes ago, WotAGuy said:

For you, Sir. I know, What A Guy!

• Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 4

2 hours ago, WotAGuy said:

One of the first games that came to my mind when I read your OP is December 1991.

It was Detroit at Buffalo. My dad got tickets for us and it was a treat to go because we didn’t live in New York. Buffalo was undefeated at home and just needed to beat the lowly and dome team Lions (it was cold and snowy on that day and should’ve been a piece of cake for us) to go 14-2 and 8-0 at home. That said, because they already had the #1 seed wrapped up they played their back-ups and lost by a field goal.

Per usual, Barry Sanders had a crazy escape on that day.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/199112220buf.htm

Edited by BillsFan619
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2nd to last game in 2011 vs the Broncos on Christmas Eve:  The Bills had just lost like 8 in a row and this was during the height of Tebow mania.  I thought for sure it'd be a loss.  On the old BBMB fans were joking it'd be a Rocky 4 like scene:  Our people cheer for him!!!

But very surprisingly to me the Bills completely dominated that day.  Tim was awful

Last game of the year in 2012 against the Jets.  A very very disappointing season in my eyes.  But still seeing the Bills beat the Jets at home on the final game felt good.  Jets had beat the Bills 6 in a row prior.  I still remember CJ Spiller on a 3d and 13 taking it to the house.  He could fly!!!!

Memorable in that it was Chan and Fitz's last Bill game 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Fan in Chicago said:

I know you were looking for Bills wins but I am scarred by this game and can never forget the anger, frustration and disappointment during this game:

That game was brutal.  Sunday nite at the Ralph.  We looked like a Pee Wee team against Brady, Moss, etc.  Ugly.  That and the Cowboys Monday nite when we were up by 9 in the last minute were as bad as it got during the draught.  Makes me think of Donte Whitner for some reason.  (Didn't he fail to recover the onside kick against the Cowboys allowing them to kick the winning FG?)  He was not worthy of a 1st round pick let alone a top 10 pick.  Guy had the range of a turtle stuck in mud.  But at least he could knock the crap of Ocho Cinco with impugnity.  And played with bad intentions.   

• Agree 2

Date:      November 24, 1996 

Jim Kelly once said that no one could cover Steve Tasker as a wide receiver and he proved it that day. 

num89.gif Steve Tasker had the most productive offensive game of his career as a Wide Receiver as he racked up 160 yards on 6 catches with 2 touchdowns vs. NJ Jets. His 160 yards receiving vs. Jets was 8 more yards than he recorded in his first 10 seasons in the league. 

Unfortunately his kamikaze catches made him a target for the Jets' back-field and he injured his knee in the game.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/199611240buf.htm

Chris Berman Recap

Full Game (it gets better quality after start):

It is from my Steve Tasker tribute on an old website I built almost 30 years ago.

https://members.tripod.com/g_host/st_index.html

There are a number of other tributes of Steve on it from wall members - current, past and deceased.

Edited by Limeaid
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 4

1 hour ago, Allen2Diggs said:

The Monday Night Football game vs the Cowboys in 2007 lives in my head rent-free. So glad we beat them on Thanksgiving to get revenge.

That was the most amazing feeling before and during the game. Pure electricity.  The first time I felt that kind of energy was at the Buffalo Braves playoff game - the Jo Jo White game. Weird that both of those were losses. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Allen2Diggs said:

The Monday Night Football game vs the Cowboys in 2007 lives in my head rent-free. So glad we beat them on Thanksgiving to get revenge.

That Thanksgiving game against the Cowboys was a turning point, so I'll list THAT one.

We all knew there were sparks of promise that season, and the fan base was grateful for the exposure (yes, especially coupled with family, food and booze).  But - you know - the Bills were supposed to get their collective asses handed to them on national TV, right?  Those plucky Bills fans would - typically - get a few reasons to cheer, and then they would - typically - wipe the sh!t off their collective faces and go back to being Bills fans.

You know the script.  I know the script.  We ALL know the script.

And then "F*ck you."

Man, that game felt GREAT.

• Like (+1) 3

The game itself wasn't obscure itself but the events that took place during the game made it memorable for me (and not in the way you would think).

The game was the Kevin Everett game.  The obvious is the opening kickoff where Everett had to be carted off the field and we know the rest of that story.  The 2nd that happened was the end of the game where Denver won with no time left on the clock.  

The reason this game sticks out to me?  I was there and didn't see either of these plays because at the start of the game I was busy hitting on some girl that I had just met.  I didn't see the end of the game because I was making out with the same girl during the last minute of the game.

Oh to be young and stupid again.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

The game itself wasn't obscure itself but the events that took place during the game made it memorable for me (and not in the way you would think).

The game was the Kevin Everett game.  The obvious is the opening kickoff where Everett had to be carted off the field and we know the rest of that story.  The 2nd that happened was the end of the game where Denver won with no time left on the clock.  

The reason this game sticks out to me?  I was there and didn't see either of these plays because at the start of the game I was busy hitting on some girl that I had just met.  I didn't see the end of the game because I was making out with the same girl during the last minute of the game.

Oh to be young and stupid again.

I thought the ending was going to read like this....."That girl became my wife, and we've been together ever since."

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Fan in Chicago said:

1 hour ago, WotAGuy said:

Yup; left at halftime.  Total bummer. 

Lighten up, you two.  It's hard to win in the NFL.  😐

• Haha (+1) 3

Patriots at Bills 1994.  Must win game for the playoffs and we had an early lead behind Frank Reich.  Bledsoe absolutely blew out doors off in the second half.  Officially ended our run of four straight Super Bowls and was the end of the early 90s dynasty.  I was 15 and at the game with my Dad and there was this sense of sadness and we knew the great run was over.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Angry 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.