Seinfeld Series Finale...Yay or Nay?

BillsPride12

I was just lounging out channel surfing a little bit ago and came across the Seinfeld Series Finale on Comedy Central.  I probably haven't seen those episodes in about 20 years even though I still like watching Seinfeld reruns.  I remember at the time it being very polarizing where you either loved it or hated it.

I always liked it and still felt that way after watching it again, I liked the way they brought everybody back.  Not their best work ever but I never understood the hate some people had for the way they ended it.  I've seen much worse from other shows over the years.

It's been many years since I watched it.

I guess I might be an outlier then as I would actually say no to yay or nay.  Like I didn't think it was great but didn't think it was awful.  it was alright 

But I wasn't the shows biggest fan.  again ya know it was alright.  lol 

• Like (+1) 1

Most finales have been terrible.  But that's because IMHO most series start with material for a season, maybe two and then get picked-up to go further and have no idea how to end it properly.  Seinfeld however was a show about nothing and could have gone any way they wanted, and failed.  I saw that finale once and never wanted to see it again, whereas I've watched the other shows in the series numerous times.

• Agree 1

19 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

I can guarantee you I watched it live, with anxious anticipation.

Now, I don't remember 5 second of it to be honest!

I wouldn't mind watching it if it's out there for free somewhere.

Seinfeld is on Netflix.  I occasionally watch some episodes here and there but like I said in my original post I haven't seen the Finale in like 20 years before today.  They were never episodes I would have gone out of my way to put on but just stumbled upon it today.  Definitely not like other episodes where you would re-watch them over and over but I feel like it worked as a Finale if that makes any sense.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

14 hours ago, The Poojer said:

I liked it better than Ozark finale, and the Ozarks finale almost ruined my opinion of the entire series 

agreed...another "just end it" ending to an otherwise great series.

Edited by zevo

1 hour ago, WhoTom said:

My wife and I were big fans of the show. We were both pretty "meh" on the finale, though.

Best series finale ever: Newhart.

That's a great topic.  The most jaw-dropping series finale I can remember was St. Elsewhere.

• Like (+1) 1

I’m not a fan of the “everything gets a bow on it” type of finales

To end where it started conversationally was I think quite smart (button)

the walk down memory lane was a little cheesy but better than a lot of finales once you accept the show for what it was. 

• Like (+1) 1

For me, Seinfeld kinda lost its way after the season where George's fiancee dies after licking too many stamps (I found that episode to be darkly funny, like so many other of the episodes).  By the time the series ended, I was glad.  It kind of ran its course.

"Curb Your Enthusiasm", if you haven't seen it, is "Seinfield" for the R-Rated crowd.  The first 4 seasons, in particular, are fabulous.

17 hours ago, BillsPride12 said:

Seinfeld is on Netflix.  I occasionally watch some episodes here and there but like I said in my original post I haven't seen the Finale in like 20 years before today.  They were never episodes I would have gone out of my way to put on but just stumbled upon it today.  Definitely not like other episodes where you would re-watch them over and over but I feel like it worked as a Finale if that makes any sense.  

If I can find the finale, I'll watch it and throw in my 2 cents. I honestly don't remember a thing about it! 

• Like (+1) 1

I liked the finale.

The crew from the “show about nothing”….gets arrested for doing nothing. 

We get to see see all the classic side characters again. The series ends with the same conversation in which it began.

Even in the finale, they kept to their “no hugging, no learning” ethos.

One thing I’ve always wanted to know; how did people WANT it to end? For all those who said it ended poorly, what ending would you have preferred? What could they have done that would have pleased everyone?

It always seemed to me that people didn’t like the finale because it wasn’t a happy ending, but a happy ending would have been so un-Seinfeld. And what would that even MEAN in the context of these characters?

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.