Besides the stadium, what are some special BUFFALO BILLS places to see or experience in the upstate New York area

BillsFan619

Ilio Di Paolo's  Restaurant (Italian) on South Park. A  few miles away  but  a lot of Bills go there when they want a nice Italian meal. Kelly, Tasker and others used to go there on the way home from practice, Ilio was a pro wrestler in the 50s  and his kids have a lot of is photos still up.

• Like (+1) 2

The Bills played a couple of preseason games at Holleder Stadium in Rochester back in the 1960s.  But it's been torn down and now it's an industrial park. https://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/lifestyle/2013/11/30/whatever-happened-to-holleder-stadium/3773223/

More seriously, Buffalo is the best located place for a Hall of Fame tour, all within 4 hours of Buffalo by car:

• Rock and Roll HOF in Cleveland
  • Pro football HOF in Canton, OH
  • Hockey HOF in Toronto
  • Baseball HOF in Cooperstown

Cleveland and Canton are very close to each other.  Leave enough time for each though; we spent 5+ hours at each of them.

Toronto is about a 90 minute drive from Buffalo.

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Wacka said:

Ilio Di Paolo's  Restaurant (Italian) on South Park. A  few miles away  but  a lot of Bills go there when they want a nice Italian meal. Kelly, Tasker and others used to go there on the way home from practice, Ilio was a pro wrestler in the 50s  and his kids have a lot of is photos still up.

Thats funny.  Dennis is a close family friend.  We had my Dad’s 90th birthday there.  I still remember after our bowling season (yeah not much to do in Blasdell) we’d go there for a celebration lunch.  I went to OMGC before St. Francis of course, and Ilio would shake five elementary school boys hands at once and pinky would touch his thumb.

That was one large man.  A nice one too.  Good pasta 619.  You can look at Georgia’s George pics and so on.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Isn't the front of War Memorial Stadium still standing?  You could drive past that. Not sure what is around there.  

I mentioned that earlier as it was the only truly Bills related historic site that came to mind. Unfortunately, it’s only two short blocks south of the recent mass shooting at the Tops market, so it’s a bit somber these days.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Dan Darragh said:

The Bills played a couple of preseason games at Holleder Stadium in Rochester back in the 1960s.  But it's been torn down and now it's an industrial park. https://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/lifestyle/2013/11/30/whatever-happened-to-holleder-stadium/3773223/

More seriously, Buffalo is the best located place for a Hall of Fame tour, all within 4 hours of Buffalo by car:

• Rock and Roll HOF in Cleveland
  • Pro football HOF in Canton, OH
  • Hockey HOF in Toronto
  • Baseball HOF in Cooperstown

Cleveland and Canton are very close to each other.  Leave enough time for each though; we spent 5+ hours at each of them.

Toronto is about a 90 minute drive from Buffalo.

Good recommendations.  If you go to Cleveland for the Rock Hall I’d also recommend going to the West Side Market (Steve’s Gyros is great) and the Cleveland Museum of Art, if you’re into that sort of thing.

Edited by BarleyNY
  • Like (+1) 1

On 6/24/2022 at 8:39 PM, BillsFan619 said:

Hey bills mafia!

My family and I are traveling from SoCal to upstate New York at the beginning of July. It’s not as glamorous as it sounds, we’re driving. 😳😱 That said, it will be fun.

I was curious, is there any special Buffalo bills places to see or experience besides the stadium? We’re just going to miss training camp and we’ve been in and seen the stadium many times.

I love being immersed in the bills because I’ve never lived in the area. So, is there a Buffalo Bills restaurant, a top-notch Buffalo Bills bar, a Buffalo Bills store (besides at the stadium) that has tons of bills merchandise, a place in the city or surrounding area(s) that’s just littered with bills stuff everywhere and pays homage to the bills,  a Buffalo Bills experience that’s in the city or surrounding areas? Or, whatever you can think of that’s Buffalo Bills related.

Maybe there’s nothing, but I thought I would ask. Thanks and go Bills!

If you want a good fish fry which is a staple on Friday nights during lent at least, Hoak’s.  It’s right across the street from my alma mater, St. Francis HS.  Alma mater to Chris Polian, Tom Telesco, Dave Caldwell, and Coach Daboll.  Maybe the priest will let you walk the tunnel.  There is really a tunnel between the two buildings as it was so darn cold in the winters off the Lake.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

I mentioned that earlier as it was the only truly Bills related historic site that came to mind. Unfortunately, it’s only two short blocks south of the recent mass shooting at the Tops market, so it’s a bit somber these days.

Wow I didn't know that.  Such a tragedy.  I saw Mike Meyers on Colbert wearing a Sabres jersey the following week as a shout of to Buffalo.  

3 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

If you want a good fish fry which is a staple on Friday nights during lent at least, Hoak’s.  It’s right across the street from my alma mater, St. Francis HS.  Alma mater to Chris Polian, Tom Telesco, Dave Caldwell, and Coach Daboll.  Maybe the priest will let you walk the tunnel.  There is really a tunnel between the two buildings as it was so darn cold in the winters off the Lake.

Hoak's has a good fish fry, but it is alway's packed.

I like Rodney's across the street and about 100 yards down the road. Better fish fry in my opinion...

I’d advise you to subscribe to the Buffalo News and read their Friday magazine that comes with it called, “Gusto,” ang you see schedules of things to do and places to go and learn a lot about Buffalo.

Buffalo has a lot of “affordable” restaurants that offer really good food and portions much better than big city offers. They also have a few restaurants that have adopted pricing from other cities and they’re good but expensive. I can’t really afford them so I go to the restaurants that are priced for most Buffalonians.

Buffalo has a lot of beautiful architecture to see and they are expanding and improving on-line tours all the time. Just google them.

unfortunately, two of the things I’m most excited about in Buffalo aren’t built yet. We have one of the top modern art museums in the country but it is being totally remodeled and expended.

the other thing is Lasalle park. It is also being remolded and expended. It is undergoing a name change as well… it is changing to Ralph Wilson Park.

I don’t know when either will reopen or how it is going right now.

Buffalo does a nice, Shakespeare in the park. It is located in Delaware Park. It is a beautiful in the city park that also gestures Hoyt Lake, which is pretty. There is also a good restaurant in the park. It is called the Terrace and it is one of the very good, affordable restaurants and I recommend. It is a seafood restaurant mostly.  It is a nice park too to exercise or walk around. I reccomend all of it. It has public restrooms as well.  The history museum is also there so there is a lot to offer there. A rose garden…. It’s a nice place. Go see the Shakespeare. It’s free, take some fruit cheese and wine, etc…a blanket…. A babe…. Used to be my favorite date about a hundred years ago….oh! The zoo is in there too and it is decent as well.

Lastly, I’d like to recommend another park…. It is about 90 minutes outside (and is close to another park that is truly gigantic and I highly recommend that one to! Allegany State Park. Allegany has three beautiful lakes two to swim and is in the Allegany mountains. I love it look into it!) but the park close to is Sculpture Park. It was helped to expend a lot by the 100000 Maniacs. They live close to there. Sometimes sculpture park has concerts. Look into it. Go to both parks. Spend a some time there.  A very unique park.

I hope this helps you and you guys have a blast!

• Like (+1) 2

The only Buffalo Bills related attraction I can think of would be to venture into the East Side of town and look at the site of the former "Rock Pile" or War Memorial Stadium where the Bills used to play until the current stadium was built in the early '70s.  OJ Simpson made a lot of his history there.  

There isn't much of the old stadium left now, but there is still something to see. 

This also has the double benefit of being about 2 blocks from the site of the recent Tops grocery store mass killing if you have a morbid fascination in seeing where that took place.

590px-War_Memorial_Stadium_Rockpile.JPG

Edited by Nextmanup
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.