Sunday Ticket Negotiations

Buffalo Boy

1 minute ago, The Dean said:

I hope Amazon gets it, as then I won't have to subscribe to another service. But my bet is on Google, to drive their YouTube TV operation.  I don't get the NFL Network, so signed up for the YouTube TV trial. Stream was flawless!

The blackout rules are no longer. NO local games are blacked out from their local market. (That's what the blackout rules were.)  If the game is on the NFL Network how is it "blacked out"? It's available to 100% of the country.  Now if you don't have the NFL Network, you can't see it. Just like if you live in a rural area, don't have cable, and can't get the over the air signal from the broadcast station that carries the game. The game IS available to you, but you may have to do some work, and spend some money, as well.

Any game on the NFL Network or ESPN is also broadcast on the local station that bids the highest. So I'm sure the game was on a local broadcast station in Buffalo in Miami. But not all the markets that typically get those teams are the "local market".

I mean “blacked out” in the sense that you have to watch a local game on a local station. If you pull up the Sunday ticket channel for the game that is locally shown, it is blacked out on that Sunday ticket channel and says you must turn to the local station. 

that’s no problem to do now. But how are we supposed to flip back and forth from a streamed Sunday ticket channel on Amazon to a local channel?  It may seem like a first world problem, but it does diminish the huge benefits of having Sunday ticket— ease of watching a bunch of games at once. 

• Agree 1

Happily, the Bills have solved most of the problems with access to games by being a powerhouse team. I'm in AZ and for the most part never had the Bills available. This season, however, given the Bills marquee status, they have been on in AZ multiple times in addition to the Sunday night, Monday night and Thursday games. Out of 14 games so far I think only 3 haven't been available in AZ.

• Like (+1) 3

I really hope this lands on Amazon.  Partly so I don't have to pay for another streaming service, but mainly because TNF has been really good.  I get that Amazon isn't going to be producing the broadcasts, but maybe they'll put the networks to innovate a little, or provide alternate broadcast/audio options.

1 hour ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

that’s no problem to do now. But how are we supposed to flip back and forth from a streamed Sunday ticket channel on Amazon to a local channel?  It may seem like a first world problem, but it does diminish the huge benefits of having Sunday ticket— ease of watching a bunch of games at once. 

Remember when TV's came with Picture In Picture?  You would think that with all the different inputs now, they would still offer that.  It was easy to switch between games back when they had it.  

• Like (+1) 2

20 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I mean “blacked out” in the sense that you have to watch a local game on a local station. If you pull up the Sunday ticket channel for the game that is locally shown, it is blacked out on that Sunday ticket channel and says you must turn to the local station. 

Just change inputs

42 minutes ago, QCity said:

NvrdW1j.png

The platform is changing, but it sounds like the price will be the same. The NFL balked at Apple because they wanted to offer it at too low of a price (what is being reported on the interwebz).

Apple wanted to include it with Apple TV subscription. Just wanted to add subscribers. Sucks for us.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, QCity said:

NvrdW1j.png

The platform is changing, but it sounds like the price will be the same. The NFL balked at Apple because they wanted to offer it at too low of a price (what is being reported on the interwebz).

Will be interesting what the do since YouTube tv supports multiple streaming on one account. NFLST limits one streaming user .

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, QCity said:

NvrdW1j.png

Doesn't sound like Apple.  Glad they didn't get it, though.

• Like (+1) 1

Honestly, I was hoping this would go to somebody who would be pushing a more innovative model for pricing and consumption. 

I just pay for FuboTV and I have my home zip code set as 14217. I haven’t missed a game yet. I use Kodi on my firestick for other out of market games I care about. 

Fox Sports Radio said earlier today that YouTube TV is like a cable provider. It won't be an add-on package but will be included in their regular package. Right now I think they said YouTube TV is $65 a month. I am not sure if you can get for just 4-5 months then cancel, or if they will require a one-year commitment? You will have to ditch your regular cable or streaming provider, unless you want to pay more.

They said Google has to offer a ton of money or they would have stuck with tried and true. They also YouTube TV's goal is to gain a ton of subscribers with this move. Like FOX did in 1994. When they first came into existence in 1987 or 1988, they were a total joke for six years or so....until they got the NFC package.

Edited by chongli

Google/you tube would have been my last choice to win this bid for the exact reasons Chongji just listed in the article from Fox. If all this is true, this will cost way more than had it gone to Apple TV or Amazon. Sounds like people will now need to commit to YouTube tv for $65/month and then most likely additional cost for Sunday ticket. It will basically be just like it was with DIRECTV. Paying for the monthly service and then throw on 300-400 a year for Sunday ticket. 

All the NFL has done now is go from one stupid, costly, unfair business model of streaming NFL games (DIRECTV) to an equally stupid, costly, unfair one (YouTube tv). The only winners here are those who already subscribe to YouTube tv. Everyone else is no better off than when it belonged to DIRECTV 

Edited by Billznut
  • Like (+1) 3

5 hours ago, chongli said:

Fox Sports Radio said earlier today that YouTube TV is like a cable provider. It won't be an add-on package but will be included in their regular package. Right now I think they said YouTube TV is $65 a month. I am not sure if you can get for just 4-5 months then cancel, or if they will require a one-year commitment? You will have to ditch your regular cable or streaming provider, unless you want to pay more.

They said Google has to offer a ton of money or they would have stuck with tried and true. They also YouTube TV's goal is to gain a ton of subscribers with this move. Like FOX did in 1994. When they first came into existence in 1987 or 1988, they were a total joke for six years or so....until they got the NFC package.

Directv has lost millions of subscribers while still having The Ticket. I just don't think most people will get youtube tv for this. 

• Like (+1) 2

On 12/18/2022 at 11:07 AM, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

One thing I liked with Directv ST using a receiver is that I could do PIP an and and watch 2 games either side by side or one in a smaller window.  None of the streaming options support this and when using the streaming ST agai couldn’t watch one game on iPad and another on appletv or ST app.   Hoping YouTube TV a will support multiple windows or at least multiple logins   I a still holding out hope that I can still get a sat option but doubt whomever wins the stream will offer it.  personally I would love to see Directv win in this and provide a streaming and satellite offering. It would greatly enhance the DTV stream product and integrate the two into a single offering.

1 hour ago, nucci said:

Directv has lost millions of subscribers while still having The Ticket. I just don't think most people will get youtube tv for this. 

Right, I just moved into a new house a few months ago and now am locked into a 2 year agreement with Xfinity cable. There is no way I’m going to add on $65/month for YouTube tv in addition to the cable bill im stuck with for 21 more months. You can always count on the NFL to do the wrong thing when it comes to fans and their desire to stream games. 

Edited by Billznut
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.