Sunday Ticket Negotiations

Buffalo Boy

On 7/23/2022 at 10:53 PM, Maybe Someday said:

I don’t disagree re DIRECTV but the quality of the feeds for the streaming games last year were horrible. Plus, as crazy as it sounds in 2022, not everyone has access to great internet. I have only 1 option in my area and that’s the local cable company. Sometimes I have no issues with streaming, other times it’s choppy. 

Unfortunately this is true. 

Did they make you sign a contract when you did?  In the past whenever they offered this you had to sign up for 2 more years.  

Believe it or not they didn’t ask I figured they would too because my contract is up. And I’m not resigning because ST will be streaming next year. 

On 7/24/2022 at 9:23 PM, newcam2012 said:

I called them today. I'm already getting $50 off a month for 12 months due to me threatening to go to dish. Today, the loyalty rep told me the standard NFL ticket was I believe $293. She said I could pay that in 4 monthly installments and she would take additional $20 a month off my bill for 12 months. Thus, off setting most of the NFL ticket price. I refused the offer and politely asked if I was under contract. I knew I wasn't. She said no I wasn't and I replied ok I'm going to look at my choices. Thank you. She responded by giving me the $20 off for 12 months with no NFL ticket. Good and bad I guess. 

Maybe I'll just have to go to the bar to watch the Bills games. Good thing is they have 4 or 5 nationally televised games. 

Any advice? Maybe try again in a few weeks? I doubt I will get it now. Maybe a couple of weeks into the season? 

I don’t no man I’m getting 50$ off for a year my self and still got it free. Maybe it’s just who you talk to , because the guy I talked to was more then happy to give it to me for free he even gave me the max ST. But I do believe he said you needed to be at least a 3 year customer. I would just keep calling that’s what I was going to do 😂 - but like I said the first time I called the guy told me he couldn’t do nothing for me. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, 97bills said:

I don’t no man I’m getting 50$ off for a year my self and still got it free. Maybe it’s just who you talk to , because the guy I talked to was more then happy to give it to me for free he even gave me the max ST. But I do believe he said you needed to be at least a 3 year customer. I would just keep calling that’s what I was going to do 😂 - but like I said the first time I called the guy told me he couldn’t do nothing for me. 

Ok thanks. I'll call back in a few weeks. 

On 7/23/2022 at 5:18 PM, Maybe Someday said:

I hope the Thursday night football rating on Amazon are so low this year that the NFL realizes that steaming only options are not a good idea. 

Yeah, this technology will never work just like flat screen TV's and high definition.  Lets go back to the black and white TV's built into furniture.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, 13 Second Prevent Defense said:

Yeah, this technology will never work just like flat screen TV's and high definition.  Lets go back to the black and white TV's built into furniture.

I also don't think the internets will be around and these smartphone things will be gone soon

• 4 months later...

Apple and Disney/ESPN have now bowed out on NFL Sunday Ticket negotiations for 2023, leaving only Amazon and Google. This means no more yearly negotiations with DirecTV!

From the article:

"Here’s the key quote, from Byer: “I’m now told that Apple, once seen as a frontrunner for the rights, has also backed out of those negotiations — not because they can’t afford it, but because they don’t see the logic. So it’s down to Amazon and Google, and there’s certainly a logic there for both companies: Amazon can use it to drive Prime subscriptions; Google can use it to fuel its YouTube TV business.”

This also means the Disney/ESPN has exited the bidding, too.  

Apple’s decision to take a pass is a stunner, since Apple had emerged as the clear frontrunner for the package that DirecTV has held since its inception in 1994. Between, however, the extreme asking price and the strict limitations imposed on the product, there’s a point at which one corporate behemoth tells the other to get lost."

Edited by chongli
  • Thank you (+1) 2

That’s awesome news.  I’ve been “in college” these last 6 years after cutting the cord and dropping Directv.  But I’ve never been a fan of their lack of options.

Always felt like there should be multiple entry points into Sunday ticket.  $100 a year for 1 team.  $250 a year for all games.  Or go a la carte and pick your games weekly.  I only want Bills games so $300-$330 felt excessive when I ignore 90% of the games.

I’ll definitely miss the college student $99 steaming deal.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, djp14150 said:

Amazon or Google….if they are exclusive in this such as it blocks cable broadcasts…..thry will not ga8n from this investment.

satelitte with direct TV was limited where people who wanted it couldn’t access it. Same applies to streaming.

That’s why I believe there will be a streaming option and directv customers will be also able to utilize on legacy dishes.  

I'm about to drop directv and go to Hulu live tv..was hoping this would have been settled by now.

16 minutes ago, Xwnyer said:

That’s why I believe there will be a streaming option and directv customers will be also able to utilize on legacy dishes.  

From what I've read directv doesn't want Sunday ticket and are not negotiating to keep it

I’m glad no ESPN+.  I’ve been watching Sabres games on there and it sucks.  I pause the game and go to the bathroom or to get something to eat and come back, unpause and it takes me back to the beginning.  

Even worse, if you’re watching the Live version, for some reason they put an hour block of time with their ads before the game, so you have to fast forward thru all that.

25 minutes ago, nucci said:

I'm about to drop directv and go to Hulu live tv..was hoping this would have been settled by now.

From what I've read directv doesn't want Sunday ticket and are not negotiating to keep it

I believe the statement was they weren’t bidding for exclusive rights.  I still think they will work a deal out to provide the option only reason I haven’t canceled yet waiting to see what happens.  Prefer sat solution versus streaming since it’s easier to sync the radio feed.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Xwnyer said:

I believe the statement was they weren’t bidding for exclusive rights.  I still think they will work a deal out to provide the option only reason I haven’t canceled yet waiting to see what happens.  Prefer sat solution versus streaming since it’s easier to sync the radio feed.

I’m super leery of streaming. When the stream dies ( as an out of towner) I have no other recourse.

Having said that, I have dreamed of the day I can dump DTV so it’s a nervous decision for me.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, eball said:

As a YouTube TV and Amazon Prime subscriber, this is nothing but good news for me.

Assuming that Prime doesn't make it an "add-on" package.  I'm not sure how youtubeTV works but for what you need to pay out the gate it should be included.

I can see Prime membership going up if they get NFLN though or, like I said, it becomes an add-on for another $10-20/month.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

Assuming that Prime doesn't make it an "add-on" package.  I'm not sure how youtubeTV works but for what you need to pay out the gate it should be included.

I can see Prime membership going up if they get NFLN though or, like I said, it becomes an add-on for another $10-20/month.

Oh I assume it will be an add-on cost…I just like the platforms and already use them so it will be an easy transition.  I already dumped DTV a year ago and am on the “college” ST subscription this year.

• Like (+1) 1

As an out of town die hard, I have had direct for 13+years (only for Sunday ticket) There’s a tree I’m not allowed to remove that blocks my signal and in the summer when leaves are full I have an error message and ***** signal. I actually love the programming of DT but I can’t deal with the signal and it’s very expensive. I can’t get rid of it because I won’t not watch the Bills….I’m good with Amazon. I have liked the TNF broadcast. I just wish something would get announced soon here because I’d like to figure out my next move. As soon as I know it’s absolutely off direct, I’m out. But I have an internal struggle here thinking I’ll believe it when I see it. Google idk how I feel about. I was cool with ESPN+ because I like that for hockey and college football. I guess we’ll see. It’s Kinda getting late early here.

• Like (+1) 2

30 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

As an out of town die hard, I have had direct for 13+years (only for Sunday ticket) There’s a tree I’m not allowed to remove that blocks my signal and in the summer when leaves are full I have an error message and ***** signal. I actually love the programming of DT but I can’t deal with the signal and it’s very expensive. I can’t get rid of it because I won’t not watch the Bills….I’m good with Amazon. I have liked the TNF broadcast. I just wish something would get announced soon here because I’d like to figure out my next move. As soon as I know it’s absolutely off direct, I’m out. But I have an internal struggle here thinking I’ll believe it when I see it. Google idk how I feel about. I was cool with ESPN+ because I like that for hockey and college football. I guess we’ll see. It’s Kinda getting late early here.

You are in same boat as me I moved in oct so using the app to watch ST right now still paying for a receiver on cheapest plan possible till I hear final decision.  As I said earlier the NFL would be stupid to not provide a non stream solution there are a lot of folks with Sat TV because of lack of bandwidth to support streaming or even any connection for TV service.  Was really hoping something was announced soon tired of wasting 83 a month and using the service except for ST app.  My new home has Spectrum for free it sucks but don’t need to deal with HOA etc on install of DTV a plus only reason I stayed with DTV is for football and will remain if they offer a package because it’s easy to sync the sirius radio feed with the DTV OTA a broadcast been doing this for 17 years now.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.