Sunday Ticket Negotiations

Buffalo Boy

2 hours ago, Colorado Mike said:

also in the northern ‘burbs

There are a lot of up in these parts.    If I wear any Bills gear out in public I have a better than 50% chance of getting a comment from another ex-WNYer and/or Bills fan.  
  Been in Woodstock GA zip code for 30 years.  Sleepy little town has turned into party central on weekends with lots of live music, brew pubs, and upscale dining. Would have enjoyed it a lot more if I were 30 years younger. On the plus side, my home’s value has appreciated considerably with this in-demand market. 
maybe we need a local Bills-backers chapter up this way 

Edited by SoMAn

On 7/8/2022 at 8:52 PM, T&C said:

Why has this been around for over a decade then? If it was illegal the folks who say it is illegal would have done something about it. No? Or is there some kind of morals involved here. Me personally... I'm not missing Bills/Sabres games. The superboxes are readily available on Amazon, walmart, and a shift ton of other venues. It's perfectly fine to use... as are the sites you can use on the internet. Trust me man, I'm not missing out on a Bills game no matter what. Isn't that what this mafia crap is about lol.

The reality is that people using this method of watching anything outside of their allowed market is likely 0.001% of the overall viewership. 

I don't know if the number is that small but the cost to go after people for doing this is likely greater than the amount they are losing. 

Also going after the VPN companies would be a waste since probably 95% of their usage is legal. 

9 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

I don't know if the number is that small but the cost to go after people for doing this is likely greater than the amount they are losing

For people only using a GPS spoofer to watch free local TV in a different market, this number is negligible, and perhaps not even able to be calculated.  “Eyes on local ads” is the only cost.

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

The reality is that people using this method of watching anything outside of their allowed market is likely 0.001% of the overall viewership. 

I don't know if the number is that small but the cost to go after people for doing this is likely greater than the amount they are losing. 

Also going after the VPN companies would be a waste since probably 95% of their usage is legal. 

The VPN itself if most likely completely legal. What is illegal is the service allowing the streaming of games that are legally protected. Charging for them complicates the matter even more for the service provider.

There are plenty of reasons some may survive for a long time. Not the least of which these services are typically based overseas (Russia, Eastern Europe, etc) often protected by "bulletproof" hosting providers. The same kind of protection scammers/spammers use. It typically takes a lot of time/effort and international cooperation to take these things down. And as you note, in the grand scheme of all  issues law enforcement is facing and the battles the NFL is currently fighting, it probably is a very low priority.  But of course some have been taken down in the past.  But never assume "getting away with something" makes it legal. It does not.

https://cybernews.com/what-is-vpn/are-vpns-legal/

While the act of using a VPN is not inherently illegal in the US, many activities done using a VPN might be illegal.

Here’s what you shouldn’t do with a VPN in the US:

Pirate copyrighted content. Although copyright law is rarely enforced against individual citizens who pirate content, it’s still illegal—and there might be repercussions from your Internet service provider (ISP) in case your VPN leaks or logs data.

• Agree 1

44 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

I heard this morning AppleTV won the contract, starting in September.

(sources within)

well, it won't start this September, unless they worked out a deal with DirecTV

Edited by nucci
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, nucci said:

Would actually be great since I am moving in October n can’t put a dish up until HOA approves likely 2 months after move in

1 hour ago, nucci said:

And who is to say they haven't?  DirecTV has been giving away the Ticket like crazy anyway.  They know they're losing it.  Apple would certainly give up some cash to get it this season.

Fingers crossed...

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, eball said:

And who is to say they haven't?  DirecTV has been giving away the Ticket like crazy anyway.  They know they're losing it.  Apple would certainly give up some cash to get it this season.

Fingers crossed...

Hence my comment. 

1 hour ago, Xwnyer said:

Would actually be great since I am moving in October n can’t put a dish up until HOA approves likely 2 months after move in

Are you moving into a single-dwelling home? If so, you don't need your HOA's approval. It's a communications device and they can't prohibit you from installing a dish (39" or less) within the confines of your property.

"In 1996, the FCC adopted the Over the Air Reception Device Rule, or OTARD rule. In short, the OTARD rule prohibits homeowners' associations and condominium associations from placing restrictions on residents which impede the installation, maintenance, or use of satellite dishes, TV antennas, or wireless cable antennas."

http://www.ccfj.net/FCClaw.htm

• Like (+1) 1

I've had directv for years, mostly for access to Sunday ticket.

I don't care about another service landing it going forward but I think the issue most people are going to have is that if you are moving to 100% streaming, what about DVR for folks that like to rewatch games, have to start the game a little later, want to pause for a quick break, etc. What about the 1000s of bars and restaurants that have relied on the service for years as well?

Let's also not forget that most streaming there is always a lag no matter how good the quality so if you are also on your phone online you might find out about as score or something before it happens in real time.

In the end I just think it's a bit silly to move exclusively to streaming vs. using it as a compliment to directv or another traditional provider.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, ExWNYer said:

Are you moving into a single-dwelling home? If so, you don't need your HOA's approval. It's a communications device and they can't prohibit you from installing a dish (39" or less) within the confines of your property.

"In 1996, the FCC adopted the Over the Air Reception Device Rule, or OTARD rule. In short, the OTARD rule prohibits homeowners' associations and condominium associations from placing restrictions on residents which impede the installation, maintenance, or use of satellite dishes, TV antennas, or wireless cable antennas."

http://www.ccfj.net/FCClaw.htm

DirecTV has an online streaming option now. No dish needed. And I don't think you need to prove you can't use a dish. Open for all, is what I'm getting:

https://www.directv.com/stream/

4 hours ago, FilthyBeast said:

I've had directv for years, mostly for access to Sunday ticket.

I don't care about another service landing it going forward but I think the issue most people are going to have is that if you are moving to 100% streaming, what about DVR for folks that like to rewatch games, have to start the game a little later, want to pause for a quick break, etc. What about the 1000s of bars and restaurants that have relied on the service for years as well?

Let's also not forget that most streaming there is always a lag no matter how good the quality so if you are also on your phone online you might find out about as score or something before it happens in real time.

In the end I just think it's a bit silly to move exclusively to streaming vs. using it as a compliment to directv or another traditional provider.

It's only because the NFL wants $2B for the Ticket and DirecTV won't pay it. Only one's that will are Disney, Amazon and Apple

Im going to be subscribing to something. I only can hope the process will be seamless for we Sunday ticket subscribers and not jack up our rates.  I have a great deal going already. Having said that I wouldn't mind paying for my "away full season tickets" via my big screen TV for all the obvious reasons. My main one is DVR capability and reliability.  I dont hear that much whining from Bills season ticket holders on what they have to pay for their season tickets.

I just want the decision where the NFL viewing package  is going  to be streaming from already. 

10 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

I heard this morning AppleTV won the contract, starting in September.

(sources within)

Right

I see absolutely ZERO about this anywhere. The most recent news is still that it will be announced by the fall of this year. And DTV still has this coming season on their contract. So if it were awarded for fall of 2022, my guess is it will also be on DTV for one season. But even that is just a WAG.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.